FROM TRI CABIN AARON, UPDATE FOR 28 AUG 2012. SHRINKAGE!!!

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

aaronbocknek
Ultimate User
Location: baltimore, md (alexandria, va and middle river,md) PARKSIDE MARINA

FROM TRI CABIN AARON, UPDATE FOR 28 AUG 2012. SHRINKAGE!!!

Post by aaronbocknek »

good morning fellow trojaners!! i tried to post this last evening, but i was exhausted. (that and my pain meds turn me into an idiot that cannot put two words together!) yesterday, the 27th was the start of week 5. after friday's treatment, i will have just 5 treatments left. because it was week 5, i had a pretty comprehensive pretreatment physical, with both medical and radiation oncologists in attendance. after much poking and prodding and note taking, it has been determined, that, as of yesterday at 1400, i show signs of definitive and measurable tumor shrinkage. not only that, but the parts of the tumor that were/are, at the subsurface area, show signs of 'tissue pliability' where there was none prior to beginning treatment. (just a hard, painful lump) the 'radiation sunburn' in areas that should NEVER see any sort of cosmic rays, are tender, peeling and just really annoying. believe it or not, a simple product such as gold bond powder seems to keep things 'friction free'. atleast for now. on wednesday the rad levels will slowly be brought down and the left and right lymphnode areas will no longer be involved in the treatment aspect except for the chemo pills.

when i got in my car to head home, i just broke down and bawled like a baby. maybe due to fatigue. maybe due to the 'sunburn' pain, but, in the long run, i think it was for FINALLY realizing that all this physical, emotional and spiritual hell i've put my body through might actually be worth it in the long run. only time will tell.

today is going to be a very long day for me beginning at 11am for my 2nd and final drip of mitomycin-c. i've requested a cot this time as i will not be as tense and could probably use the time to just relax. i'll take my laptop too because we have wifi at the hospital and i might actually be able to catch up on some much neglected personal items. after my drip, i'll probably get a sub then head to radiation.

just wanted to keep everyone in the loop. and yeah, i'm cautiously optimistic at this preliminary report. i'm just too tired to show it.
regards.
aaron
1982 F-36 TRI CABIN ENTERPRISE
PARKSIDE MARINA IN MIDDLE RIVER, MD
aaronbocknek@gmail.com
The Dog House
Active User

Post by The Dog House »

Congratulations Aaron! Keep the faith. All this crap will be worth it when you come out the other side healthy and cancer free.
1993 Sea Ray 200 Overnighter OB with 1993 Mercury 150 hp Outboard
1979 Starcraft 14' Rowboat with 2011 Mercury 9.9 hp Outboard
Former boat: 1971 Trojan F26
tsawyer
Sporadic User

Post by tsawyer »

Good News and the end is near!

Hang in there just a little bit longer. We know you can do it.
Tom Sawyer
Rum Floater
1988 10 Meter Mid Cabin
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
classicf25

Post by classicf25 »

Keep doing what you are doing, sounds like your on the right track and the positive results are sounding good. Make sure to give your body the rest it needs and keep thinking positive. You are on the home stretch!
1973 F25 TROJAN
1973 F30 SPORTFISH
1979 SKIMMAR 7'

Lawrence
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by Moderator »

Great news for sure

Helping keep Trojan Yachts alive .
Forum Moderator
TrojanBoats.Net
Trojan Boater
jhalb
Moderate User

Post by jhalb »

Keep the post coming. Attitude is everything. Cancer sucks!!!
John
"PELICAN"
1983 10 Meter Express
MattSC
Moderate User

Post by MattSC »

That's great news Aaron!! Hang in there

Matt
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Things are looking up
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
Commissionpoint
Active User

Re: FROM TRI CABIN AARON, UPDATE FOR 28 AUG 2012. SHRINKAG

Post by Commissionpoint »

aaronbocknek wrote: after my drip, i'll probably get a sub then head to radiation.
aaron [/b]
I assume you mean a hoagie and not an Ohio class. ;)

Glad to hear about your progress. Way to go man!

I'm working thru Sunday and am on the trail Mon-Wed next week, but try calling if you have a free moment. Maybe I will have a moment too and we can catch up.

Be well.
1978 F-32 "Eclipse"
Merc 305 SBC's
1.52:1 Borg Warners

1983 Correct Craft
Commander 351 Ford (PCM)
1:1 Borg Warner

There are 350 different varieties of shark, not counting loan or pool.
Hart
Sporadic User
Location: Either at home on Wixom Lake or on the Big Pond in Manistee.

Post by Hart »

Glad to hear some positive news, Aaron. Stay positive!

On this end, we postponed our Lake Michigan crossing that was to happen today due to heavy seas (building to 8-12' throughout the day with southwest winds to 35 knot gale force).

We're now heading to Racine early tomorrow morning, will make Sheboygan by dinner, and will cross Saturday in what should be much more hospitable water conditions.

(The surveys all checked out wonderfully with an "above average" overall condition rating).
Wes
Moderate User

Post by Wes »

I was worried when I saw the word "Shrinkage". I was wondering what wa shrinking. LOL Hang in there and plan for the 2013 rendezvous! Enjoy each day!!!
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

That sounds like a plan
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
aaronbocknek
Ultimate User

Post by aaronbocknek »

i knew you men would have a field day with that title. :) as for me, tumor shrinkage is the only acceptable form of bodily shrinkage. i questioned the measurement yesterday--- 1.75mm---as that does not seem like a great deal. i was soundly corrected. that is HUGE in the world of oncology. because it also shows that not only is length part of the measurement, but, so is mass and volume. okay, i'll take that.
after this evenings treatment, i have a 3 day break, then 4 days then 2. next week they are 'coning down' the rad levels and begin the stepdown process. i'm in the homestretch now with a finish line just ahead.
aaronbocknek@gmail.com
Allen Sr
Active User

Post by Allen Sr »

aaronbocknek wrote:i knew you men would have a field day with that title. :) as for me, tumor shrinkage is the only acceptable form of bodily shrinkage. i questioned the measurement yesterday--- 1.75mm---as that does not seem like a great deal. i was soundly corrected. that is HUGE in the world of oncology. because it also shows that not only is length part of the measurement, but, so is mass and volume. okay, i'll take that.
after this evenings treatment, i have a 3 day break, then 4 days then 2. next week they are 'coning down' the rad levels and begin the stepdown process. i'm in the homestretch now with a finish line just ahead.
Hhhmmmm................3 day break? You know Mike is buying dinner this week end don't you? All kidding aside its great news Aaron.
Growing old is inevitable,but growing up is optional
1984 F36 w/350 Crusaders 'Reel Class'
2011 Trojan Rendevous
Solomons Get Together 2011
Ocean City 2012,2013,2015
aaronbocknek
Ultimate User

Post by aaronbocknek »

Allen Sr wrote:
aaronbocknek wrote:i knew you men would have a field day with that title. :) as for me, tumor shrinkage is the only acceptable form of bodily shrinkage. i questioned the measurement yesterday--- 1.75mm---as that does not seem like a great deal. i was soundly corrected. that is HUGE in the world of oncology. because it also shows that not only is length part of the measurement, but, so is mass and volume. okay, i'll take that.
Hhhmmmm................3 day break? You know Mike is buying dinner this week end don't you? All kidding aside its great news Aaron.
yeah, the oncology dept is closed for labour day, and, all things being equal, my skin could use a longer break from radiation exposure. this is like a sunburn that just keeps getting worse and worse. the new nerve endings feel like a cactus is pushed against my inner thighs and groin area. the word uncomfortable does not even describe it. add heat and humidity into the mix and watch me climb the walls. ever have 'prickly heat rash?" well, this is 30X worse. believe me. next week i'm going outside the box and seeking the services of a dermatologist. i've been seeing this one for about 6 years, and she's amazed that more radiation 'victims' do not seek out her services. it's a no brainer for me. why the radiation dept at hopkins does not have someone from the burn unit or dermatology on staff is beyond me. the radiation oncology staff is not trained in dermatology issues. they just are not. they say, ''here, put this cream on and you should be okay''. well, i'm sorry, but, for a burn the LAST thing you want to do is put an oil based cream or lotion on it. the oil traps the 'heat' and makes it that much worse. you need to draw out the heat in order for the skin to calm down. it's not rocket science. it's basic first aid. but hey, i'm not paid to think for them, just give a suggestion or two. so mikes buying dinner? where and when? :)
aaronbocknek@gmail.com