F-32 BUILT IN SOFA

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

gettaway
Active User

F-32 BUILT IN SOFA

Post by gettaway »

So I have been trying to decide how to replace the sofa sleeper in our F-32, it currently has a home type sofa sleeper that has been in need of reupholstery or replacement, however, my biggest complaint has been the need to slide the sofa to the starboard side to access the port engine, which is hell on the cabin sole. after a lot of thought and input from a fellow member I came up with the following.

The back rest will be rigidly mountedl to the sole and the side board on the port side of the salon, the seat bottom is hinged and will flip up and allow the engine hatch to raise up and fit within the inside of the seat bottom. no more sliding back and forth and and the area can act as temporary storage when needed. I installed to access panels in the backrest to allow acces to the sliding doors in the side panels on the boat, which is where I have my battery charger located. plus a little extra storge of "stuff"
This is only 30" deep, shaving 6" off the depth of the old sofa

I am waiting on welting I ordered and hope to have the cushion covers sewn up this weekend, I am reusing the cushions from the existing sofa, and the front side panels on the seat bottom will be upolstered in the same vinyl as the cushions.
I'll post more photos when I get it installed, I will be refinishing the cabin sole first.

1984 Silverton 37C
Silver Lining
Scott
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

I like it
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
TC
Sporadic User

Post by TC »

I also have been thinking about the sofa since the first post. ( Of which I would like to see a final picture. ) When was the last time I used it as a sleeper? Two years ago. When was the last time I had to move the sofa? Friday. The time before that..... one week earlier. When I have to move that sofa I first have to move the two wicker chairs from the starboard side outside to the rear cockpit. A treat when it's raining. It was raining on Friday. Cutting down the weight and size is not a bad idea either. Extra storage space, perfect. Keep the pictures coming.
1989 F-32
Penetang,
Georgian Bay
gettaway
Active User

Post by gettaway »

I got ahead of myself this weekend and brought the new sofa on board, before refinishing / replacing the salon sole, which I am still on the fence about what I am going to do, teak & holly ? refinish the parquet? carpet? hardwood, I dont know yet so I went ahead and installed the sofa

Last edited by gettaway on Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
1984 Silverton 37C
Silver Lining
Scott
gettaway
Active User

Post by gettaway »

I am leaving for KC, MO this morning, but will get photos of it flipped up next weekend when I get back. I wasnt that thrilled with the color of the vinyl when we bought the roll two years ago, (60.00 for the roll) but now that it is installed, I think it turned out pretty good. The flip up will be a nice change from having to do the sofa scoot
1984 Silverton 37C
Silver Lining
Scott
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Nice BTW did you redo the wood work ? Its a lot lighter and looks great .
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
aaronbocknek
Ultimate User
Location: baltimore, md (alexandria, va and middle river,md) PARKSIDE MARINA

Post by aaronbocknek »

wow scott, it looks great. cannot wait to see it in 'deployed' mode.
1982 F-36 TRI CABIN ENTERPRISE
PARKSIDE MARINA IN MIDDLE RIVER, MD
aaronbocknek@gmail.com
gettaway
Active User

Post by gettaway »

Thanks Paul & Aaron,
Paul, yes, we completely stripped all of the interior teak with Teka 2 part cleaner and brightener and we put 5 coats of satin polyurethane on all of the interior not long after we bought the boat. It could still use a lot more build to fill the grain, but we're happy with the cleaner lighter color.

This almost lost F32 has come a long way in the last two years!
1984 Silverton 37C
Silver Lining
Scott
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Yes it has , a very long way !
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Hart
Sporadic User
Location: Either at home on Wixom Lake or on the Big Pond in Manistee.

Post by Hart »

I really like the look of that lighter interior wood as well. It's something I was debating on doing to lighten up the interior a bit.

Did you refinish the wood in place, take off what you could and do the rest in place.......?

Looks great, and reminds me of the color of the teak I used to do on my father's 1980ish 30' Sea Ray Weekender.
1979 F36 Convertible "Hart's Desire"
w/twin Chrysler 440s and a ton o' teak

2006 Aqua Patio 220 RE
Evinrude E-Tec 75hp
gettaway
Active User

Post by gettaway »

Thank you, this boat is a 1977 , apparently before Trojan began plugging screws so i was able to remove a lot of teak.panels from the boat and take home. All drawers, doors, sliding panels, trim valances etc and clean using teka two part cleaner and brightener. We cleaned the bulkheads and other teak trim pieces in place using the teka to scrub and a couple of 5 gallon buckets of water and sponges to rinse. The water was like mud, we went through 4 one gallon kits if the cleaner brightener . It looks great, we finished it all with satin polyurethane because we like the look, i know a lot of members here like oil.
I took photos of the flip up today and will post this evening when i get home.
1984 Silverton 37C
Silver Lining
Scott
TBone
Sporadic User

Post by TBone »

is there a chance you have some dimensions? quick drawing or something that I could use to start one with?

Thanks
Tom
gettaway
Active User

Post by gettaway »

here are a few photos of the sofa in the "deployed mode" please ignore the insulation on the underside of the engine hatch, I have been waiting to fix this until I redo the sole. I have stailess panels already made to cover this area, I just dont want to install them until I finish the floor.

1984 Silverton 37C
Silver Lining
Scott
gettaway
Active User

Post by gettaway »

T-Bone, I have some simple sketch's I used as a buy list and to put the sofa together, you'll have to take them to the finished product.

I used buscuit joints, glue and screws to assemble the frame, and glued and screwed everything else on the sofa. it is pretty light for its size, but is surpisingly solid. I loaded it in mhy truck and onto the boat myself. I think the swap removed a good 100 pounds fromt the boat, which is good, I think I added 50# with the corian counters. Hopefully a net reduction.

also, I think I shaved 300-400lbs with the engine change out as well.

However, lighter is good when you want to go fast, but I do like the solid feel of displacement when aboard.

I'll scan them tomorrow at work and send them to you.
1984 Silverton 37C
Silver Lining
Scott
aaronbocknek
Ultimate User
Location: baltimore, md (alexandria, va and middle river,md) PARKSIDE MARINA

Post by aaronbocknek »

man that looks great. love how it folds up and out of the way. good on ya mate.
aaron
1982 F-36 TRI CABIN ENTERPRISE
PARKSIDE MARINA IN MIDDLE RIVER, MD
aaronbocknek@gmail.com