When to empty blackwater tank?

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

Paul
Active User

Post by Paul »

Your best bet is to somehow monitor the level in the tank. If it's a plastic tank like mine, you'll be able to see the level. If it's heavily stained inside, just shine a light thru it in order to see the level. If the tank is made of metal or fiberglass, it may have or should have a sending unit and gauge.

As far as pump out frequency goes, it depends on capacity and usage. For example my tank holds 20gal and is half full. If we were to head out for a day trip I would have it pumped out another day. If we were to go out for a weekend I would have it pumped out before the trip. As a rule of thumb, I never let ours get over 3/4 full. It's also important to put holding tank chemical in after every pump out to help break down waste & paper.

As far as overfilling this tank goes, it wont normally back up into the boat but will flow out thru your tank vent hose. If your boat is equipped with a vent filter, it will probably ruin it along with your relationship with neighboring boaters. :shock:
Paul
"Cruise Control" 1978 F-26HT
"No Control" 2012 9' Grand RIB