Converting my helm bench to electric.

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

jhalb
Moderate User

Converting my helm bench to electric.

Post by jhalb »

I'm starting a list for my off season projects. I came across a thread for a worm driven window. I am wanting to know if anyone has converted their helm bench to electric. Mine is adjustable but it would be easier to push a switch and go forward or backward. I had this on my old boat and used it all the time.
John
"PELICAN"
1983 10 Meter Express
P-Dogg
Active User
Location: Near Baltimorgue, Murderland, where they prove every day that gun control doesn't work.

Post by P-Dogg »

I like these for such applications:

http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a-st ... IVE/1.html

They sell a left and a right-handed version.
I needed a less expensive hobby, so I bought a boat!
RWS
Ultimate User

Post by RWS »

I want mine to raise and lower

RWS
1983 10 Meter SOLD after 21 years of adventures
Yanmar diesels
Solid Glass Hull
Woodless Stringers
Full Hull Liner
Survived Andrew Cat 5,Eye of Charley Cat 4, & Irma Cat 2
Trojan International Website: http://trojanboat.com/

WEBSITE & SITELOCK TOTALLY SELF FUNDED
jhalb
Moderate User

Post by jhalb »

P-Dogg wrote:I like these for such applications:

My helm seat is 20" by 40". There is 2" of space between my seat and pedistal. Can I get by with one or go with two?
John
"PELICAN"
1983 10 Meter Express
P-Dogg
Active User
Location: Near Baltimorgue, Murderland, where they prove every day that gun control doesn't work.

Post by P-Dogg »

Can I get by with one or go with two?
Impossible to say. If I was doing it on my boat I might consider one at each corner of the seat. You have to not only raise and lower the seat, but guide it and make sure that it doesn't bind. The price of four of them is not even one boating dollar. I'd buy four, and see if one or two works. If so, use the others to motorize a hatch or something.
I needed a less expensive hobby, so I bought a boat!
TBone
Sporadic User

Post by TBone »

I was thinking of this for my Carver, but I ended up getting the Trojan. I would head to the local pick and pull junk yard. Bring some tools and pick up a power seat and adapt the mechanical parts to the boat seat.

I was looking at the GM power seats. The parts are compact, and with some fabricaton can have forward-back movement and up-down-tilt aswell

Tom
BobCT
Active User

Post by BobCT »

that would be pretty cool. So are you saying to remove the parts off a GM power seat?
1988 10m mid cabin
TBone
Sporadic User

Post by TBone »

I was planning on using GM. it seemed like from what I could see, the mechanical seat parts are the lowest profile.

I was planning on purchasing an entire seat, then removing the motor action and adapting it to fit my double seat on my carver.

I am fairly proficient in fabrication and tig welding, this may not be a simple project for all people.

basicly, the facotry automotive seat has forward/backword action, and tilt actions. I was going to keep the mechanica of the seat the same, just expand the footprint until it matched my seat on my Carver.

The motors are simple 12V motors, so wiring would not be that hard.

As stated, I did abandon this idea due to the fact I am not keeping my Carver.

Tom
jhalb
Moderate User

Re:

Post by jhalb »

P-Dogg wrote:I like these for such applications:

Now that I replaced my fuel sender my next project will be the bench. I plan to order 2 of the moters but I don't know how they would attach to the bench and base. I can figure out them wiring but need help on the attachment.
John
"PELICAN"
1983 10 Meter Express