Good Windlass issue

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

zbigk

Good Windlass issue

Post by zbigk »

Hi everyone,

I was using my windlass and once it dispatched 30 feet of line, it stopped. No up or down. Motor is not eventrying. So i assumed it tripped a breaker. I went to the panel (under lower pilot station) and did not find a breaker. So now i assume there is an in line fuse somewhere. I took a quick look around & did not find it anywhere. Any ideas where the fuse or a breaker might be located? Later this weekend i will unscrew the DC panel and see if it's hiding behind there.
Boat is a 1982 F32 Trojan.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks,
ZbigK
"Time Out"
Milford, CT
1982 F32 330hp MPI Crusaders
Allen Sr
Active User

Post by Allen Sr »

Mine is wired directly to the batteries.
Growing old is inevitable,but growing up is optional
1984 F36 w/350 Crusaders 'Reel Class'
2011 Trojan Rendevous
Solomons Get Together 2011
Ocean City 2012,2013,2015
gettaway
Active User

Post by gettaway »

if you pull up the center hatch closest to the stairs, right below the supporting edge, there is a big inline buss fuse, in a ceramic holder.
1984 Silverton 37C
Silver Lining
Scott
PHOPKINS1964

Windlass

Post by PHOPKINS1964 »

Had the same problem, it was the 50amp breaker in the eginge compartment
Paul
DAVIDLOFLAND
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by DAVIDLOFLAND »

My Quick vertical windlass (motor below deck) did the same thing. Turned out it was leaking at the deck, and filled the motor housing with water. As a temp repair, I took it appart and cleaned the brushes, then drilled a couple of holes in the motor end cap, to let any new water drain out.

I never like the way thing worked anyway (didn't always feed the line and chain without assistance), so am replacing with a horizontal (above deck)windlass next spring.
1977 F-32 INSTANT FUN "Just Add Water"
My Forever boat - O/O 30 years and counting
Yanmar 6BY3-260's
Stripermann2
Ultimate User

Post by Stripermann2 »

The Good Windlass set-up, usually has the breakers, power and ground coming together in a bracket located in the anchor locker. I have replaced my motor, top assembly with gears and line with updated parts from Good.

It's a pretty simple set-up and not hard to diagnose and repair.
Give them a call, best yet to email Tom and have him call you back. Quick answers and delivery...once you get to speak with him. :wink:

http://www.goodwindlass.com/
Jamie

1985 F-32 270 Crusaders
1988 Sea Ray 23 350 Merc.
Trojan. Enjoy the ride...

-I don't wanna hear anyone whine...Anymore!
-You might get there before me, but you still have to wait for me, for the fun to start!
zbigk

Post by zbigk »

Gents,

thanks for the replys. I'll get to the boat this weekend to see if i can find the breaker, or fuse. i'll start in the anchor locker & work my way back.

Thanks again.
ZbigK
"Time Out"
Milford, CT
1982 F32 330hp MPI Crusaders