Let the fun begin (Winter Project)

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

jblack1036

Let the fun begin (Winter Project)

Post by jblack1036 »

Started out just wanting to repair a portion of the upper side. However, when I started digging into it, I found more than I had intended. So far I've had to cut a good piece out in order to remove/repair the rear stearn outside rib. There was nothing left to screw into and it had many different patches applied over the years. So I figure I'll try and do it the right way. This is turning out to be a bigger project than expected. But I'm learning as I go. Attached are some pics of the progress an upgrade.

The toughest part so far was finding a local saw mill who had dried white oak and 1/2 inch marine grade ply. Also, the digging out of the rot and the CPES coating/epoxy/laminating the cleaned out 1/2 inch ply for putting the new white oak over. I might have bitten off more than I can chew but I'm not sceered........

This was suppose to be an easy repair.............NOT....

Bad ply cut out for easy access to the rear support.........

Let the work begin................As of now, I've got a new piece laminated in and waiting on the 5200 to cure up before bedding in the new frame rib...I don't have a pic to show you of that........

Here are the new white oak boards. This was fun cutting it to size and plaining them with a hand plane to get the right angles...

While waiting, I figured I'd add a drop down TV. So I ripped down the old and moldy looking cabin top vinyl......

Here is the drop down TV...........

The new cabin top........wow, this looks so much better than the 48 year old vinyl...........

And the finished hide away TV with a lock on it.........Now the wife and I can enjoy some movies............Also, with this I install a new multimedia stereo. No more dragging around the portable DVD player or a charger for the phones.....This new stereo does it all. I'll get some pics of it posted sooner or later....

I still have a long way to go but hopefully, all will be ready for spring....I have some additonal items to work on but for now, this is all you get.....

Enjoy....
Jim Black
31' 1965 Trojan Sea Breeze (Wiskey Girl)
29' 1974 Caver Monterey (Rough -N- Ready)
Vitaliy
Moderate User

Post by Vitaliy »

Good Progress man, way to takle the problem head on and good luck with this one, seems like it will give you something to do for several days

that new headliner definitely brightens the place up.
1974 F36 Tri-Cabin "Jorallyn"
k9th
Ultimate User

Post by k9th »

Nice looking work on the headliner and love the drop down TV. Good luck with the rest of it.
Tim

"SeaDog"
1979 36' Tri-Cabin
Big D
Ultimate User

Post by Big D »

Way to go Jim. The only way to do it is take head on and don't look back.
She was a 1969 36 ft wooden beauty with big blue 440s that we'll miss forever.
And thanks to the gang, 2012 Trojan Boater Of The Year
lawyerdave71
Moderate User

Post by lawyerdave71 »

GREAT JOB on the headliner - it looks FANTASTIC!!!!
Captain Dave -

1978 F30 Flybridge Express