not water in the gas tank, but someplace else?

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

sluggo
Sporadic User

not water in the gas tank, but someplace else?

Post by sluggo »

I know there is a thread on water in the gas tank, right below, but I think I have a different problem.
here it is: I thought I had water in the gas tank, so I put some 'dry' gas in and checked the gas/water seperator, sure enough, there was water. I cleaned them several times, and then decided I must have water in the gas tank. so we disconnected the hose from the fuel pump to pump it out. Well we pumped out a gallon, and it looked all clean!! No water at all. So once again, I fired up the boat, it started and ran good. After about 10 min, it started to cough and sputter, and died out. Went to restart, it starts and runs, but wont stay running. this is exactly like it sounds with water in the gas. But I sweat there wasnt any when we pumped it from the tank?
my thoughts are to clean the separator again, and add more 'dry' gas and see what happens.
there is about 1/4 tank.

Any thoughts??
thanks in adavance!
Sluggo
87 10 mid cabin
Ohio river
Paul
Active User

Post by Paul »

Might want to check the anti-syphon valve. This is ecactly the type of problem you'll have when there is an obstruction there. If it checks out OK, look at the pick ups in the tank for obstructions.

Hope this helps.
Paul
"Cruise Control" 1978 F-26HT
"No Control" 2012 9' Grand RIB
Vitaliy
Moderate User

Post by Vitaliy »

well if you have multiple gas tanks you can isolate which one the engine pulls from (the one you think is the problem) and see if it still has the problem

or as i did (and no i don't think its 100% safe) hooked up a 5 gal can straight to the fuel pump inlet to verify if it was the fuel tank or the engine...
1974 F36 Tri-Cabin "Jorallyn"
Commissionpoint
Active User

Post by Commissionpoint »

Vitaliy wrote:
or as i did (and no i don't think its 100% safe) hooked up a 5 gal can straight to the fuel pump inlet to verify if it was the fuel tank or the engine...
No, probably not 100% safe, but what truly is? Its safe enough for a test though, provided of course you are not a complete moppet.
1978 F-32 "Eclipse"
Merc 305 SBC's
1.52:1 Borg Warners

1983 Correct Craft
Commander 351 Ford (PCM)
1:1 Borg Warner

There are 350 different varieties of shark, not counting loan or pool.
sluggo
Sporadic User

Post by sluggo »

Vitaliy wrote:well if you have multiple gas tanks you can isolate which one the engine pulls from (the one you think is the problem) and see if it still has the problem

thanks I did this, the gas came out all gas. We had about a gallon in a clear container, and let it settle for at least 30 min, and I did not see any speration, so I figure all gas. so I fired it back up, and it ran for about 15 min and conked out. when it conked out, it sounded just like the times there is gas in the water.
Sluggo
87 10 mid cabin
Ohio river
BobCT
Active User

Post by BobCT »

definitely use the x-over valve to test one tank at a time. Some "Dry gas" is ethanol based and actually makes the water problem worse....

I had an anti-siphon problem too last year. If you open the gas cap while you're running you'll know that's the problem if the problem goes away. First step, figure out if it's a tank specific issue. No way both anti-siphon valves went bad at the same time.

I have a feeling you did have some water in the filter but that's not really your problem. The fact that you're not getting anymore leads me to believe it's something else.

Bob
1988 10m mid cabin
sluggo
Sporadic User

Post by sluggo »

BobCT wrote:definitely use the x-over valve to test one tank at a time. Some "Dry gas" is ethanol based and actually makes the water problem worse....

I had an anti-siphon problem too last year. If you open the gas cap while you're running you'll know that's the problem if the problem goes away. First step, figure out if it's a tank specific issue. No way both anti-siphon valves went bad at the same time.

I have a feeling you did have some water in the filter but that's not really your problem. The fact that you're not getting anymore leads me to believe it's something else.
Bob
I did the croos over thing, and it ran fine from the port tank. so now what I think you are telling me is to open the gas tank while I am running, and if it runs fine, I have a anti- siphon valve problem and if it doesnt, then think water again, right? thanks btw.
Sluggo
87 10 mid cabin
Ohio river
BobCT
Active User

Post by BobCT »

Ok, that's good because you've narrowed it down to an issue with that tank. Yes, if you remove the gas cap and run it that will elminate an issue with the anti-siphon getting clogged under pressure. Or....

Simply remove the anti-siphon valve and clean or replace it. The anti-siphon valve is the part that the copper fuel line attaches to. It doesn't really look like anything but that's it. Inside is a ball bearing and a spring.

Bob

P.S. - I have a pic if you want to shoot me an email - rdunne14@comcast.net
1988 10m mid cabin
Big D
Ultimate User

Post by Big D »

BobCT wrote:...if you remove the gas cap and run it that will elminate an issue with the anti-siphon getting clogged under pressure. Or....
Or the tank may simply not be venting! Check that before removing the valve - it's an easy possibility to eliminate.
She was a 1969 36 ft wooden beauty with big blue 440s that we'll miss forever.
And thanks to the gang, 2012 Trojan Boater Of The Year