chartplotters

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

~DarkNemesis~

Post by ~DarkNemesis~ »

The system I would really like to build for a good sized boat is around 8k. Im better off cutting my pockets out and reaching for the happy meal prize. You can deff spend a ton but they are neat toys! So much to offer these days.... from all companies :wink:
Oxblood

Post by Oxblood »

My newly acquired Tri Cabin came with a Standard Horizon 1000C. I was wondering if anyone knows where to get updates to the C-MAP NT charts?
mikeandanne
Moderate User

Post by mikeandanne »

BigD----We will be going to the boat show----first in a long time---was hoping to go armed with some info so I can at least try to understand what the sales guy are saying---tickets are 18 bucks--less for seniors---getting closer all the time--holes in pockets not too big yet---Mike
Big D
Ultimate User

Post by Big D »

mikeandanne wrote:BigD----We will be going to the boat show----first in a long time---was hoping to go armed with some info so I can at least try to understand what the sales guy are saying---tickets are 18 bucks--less for seniors---getting closer all the time--holes in pockets not too big yet---Mike
You'll hear alot about NMEA 2000 architecture. This offers tons of possibilities and functionality. For some info, check:

http://www.trojanboats.net/wforum/viewt ... =nmea+2000
and
http://www.nmea.org/

The electronic chart people will be there as well but you could also simply go to thier websites to find coverage of thier products.
She was a 1969 36 ft wooden beauty with big blue 440s that we'll miss forever.
And thanks to the gang, 2012 Trojan Boater Of The Year
Allen Sr
Active User

Post by Allen Sr »

Here's the link to one for sale locally in Baltimore/Annapolis Md. This is the second time this guy has posted it. It is an $1800 unit and he first posted it for $1350 now down to $955. He needs the money desperately according to his first post. Unit has never been installed. http://annapolis.craigslist.org/boa/3358752338.html Hope this works.
Growing old is inevitable,but growing up is optional
1984 F36 w/350 Crusaders 'Reel Class'
2011 Trojan Rendevous
Solomons Get Together 2011
Ocean City 2012,2013,2015
alexander38
Ultimate User

Post by alexander38 »

OMG....really LOWRANCE is the pick ! the HD radar is great it'll pick up a jet ski at 1.5 nm for fishin' their side scan sonar has some of the best reviews out there, Had Lowrance on my last 2 boats and never had any trouble.
Carver 3607 ACMY 454's Merc's
10' Dinghy 6hp Merc.
La Dolce Vita
Let's hit the water !

http://s852.beta.photobucket.com/user/t ... 8/library/
ready123
Ultimate User

Post by ready123 »

Oxblood wrote:My newly acquired Tri Cabin came with a Standard Horizon 1000C. I was wondering if anyone knows where to get updates to the C-MAP NT charts?
http://ww1.jeppesen.com/main/corporate/ ... marine/gb/

Go to the MAX charts you get much more data, tides etc: too
Last edited by ready123 on Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Michael
Rum is the reason Pirate's have never ruled the world
Done Dreamin'
1987 President 43' Twin Lehman 225SP Turbo
Highfield 310 Ally 15 HP Yamaha 2cycle
1978 F32 Sedan twin 318 Chry SOLD
Safe Cove Marina, Port Charlotte, FL
TC
Sporadic User

Post by TC »

Over the years have owned one Lowrance and five Garmins. Number six will be a Garmin. Garmin on the ATV. If you have been "out of the loop" for a while maybe brush up on terminology and features so you have an idea what you may or may not wish. Yes the Boat Show in January is a good place to wheel and deal. Radioworld is always there with deals as well.
1989 F-32
Penetang,
Georgian Bay
hmc
Sporadic User

Post by hmc »

GRAMIN at the top raymaine at the bottom eveything else in th mid
f boat ( glass )
TROJANS !!!
Commissionpoint
Active User

Post by Commissionpoint »

alexander38 wrote:OMG....really LOWRANCE is the pick ! the HD radar is great it'll pick up a jet ski at 1.5 nm for fishin' their side scan sonar has some of the best reviews out there, Had Lowrance on my last 2 boats and never had any trouble.
I had a nice Lowrance unit on the 'Swirl. I agree the radar definition is really great, and overall the unit was easy to use and had a lot of nice features.

Right now I have some antique stuff installed that, while period correct for the vessel, is..... um..... interesting to use..... :D

I am going with a one screen solution in the spring.
1978 F-32 "Eclipse"
Merc 305 SBC's
1.52:1 Borg Warners

1983 Correct Craft
Commander 351 Ford (PCM)
1:1 Borg Warner

There are 350 different varieties of shark, not counting loan or pool.
hmc
Sporadic User

Post by hmc »

One SCREEN CAN leave you with not -- have it all or lose iy all .
f boat ( glass )
TROJANS !!!
Oxblood

Post by Oxblood »

ready123 wrote:
Oxblood wrote:My newly acquired Tri Cabin came with a Standard Horizon 1000C. I was wondering if anyone knows where to get updates to the C-MAP NT charts?
http://ww1.jeppesen.com/main/corporate/ ... marine/gb/

Go to the MAX charts you get much more data, tides etc: too
ready123, thank you very much for the link and the advice.
Bigearl

Post by Bigearl »

Good suggestion to go to the Toronto Boat Show in January and check them all out, also they generally have good deals. I bought the Raymarine last show, mainly because the Canadian charts for the Upper Ottawa river, Rideau Canal, Georgian Bay etc. were included saving a few bucks. I am very happy with the Quality and I use it between my F28 and Campion Explorer, easy to dismount.
I thought the Garmin and Lowrance were all good too, I don't recall what their warranty was but Raymarine gives 3 years.
The Raymarine has a wider screen for split screen use while the Garmin has greater vertical to width which is better if you want to use it in heading up mode, you get to see more of your route with that configuration.
Have fun checking them out.
Bigearl
mikeandanne
Moderate User

Post by mikeandanne »

Thanks to everyone for the help ,it has been extremely helpful.I have looked into the nmea, like the idea ,don't know if my old brain can figure that out.We do need some guage help though as my stuff is a little wacky---blower on and tachs go upscale etc.There is no doubt that the new products are really neat, although I believe it is possible to surpass the value of the entire boat quite easily--looking forward to spending at the show--Mike
Commissionpoint
Active User

Post by Commissionpoint »

hmc wrote:One SCREEN CAN leave you with not -- have it all or lose iy all .
I suppose, but I'm willing to chance it.

You could say the same thing about folks who own a single screw boat.
1978 F-32 "Eclipse"
Merc 305 SBC's
1.52:1 Borg Warners

1983 Correct Craft
Commander 351 Ford (PCM)
1:1 Borg Warner

There are 350 different varieties of shark, not counting loan or pool.