Macerator??

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

guglielmo6160
Moderate User

Macerator??

Post by guglielmo6160 »

my boat comes equipped with a macerator pump out , Im told this is a no no.
Am I acurate to assume I should remove it ? or is the grandfather law in affect
1983 10 meter express
Vitaliy
Moderate User

Post by Vitaliy »

I dont see why anyone would tell you that its a problem? all it does is mulch down the "waste" into smaller pieces so that the pump out doesnt get clocged and is more liquid like.

how if you are talking with a direct overboard discharge, then yes that is against the law, if its from the tank to pump out station there isnt anything wrong with that

my boat has a mercerator on each toilet and then another one for the pump out, i flip a switch and it empties the tank at the station, or overboard (if im far enough out)
1974 F36 Tri-Cabin "Jorallyn"
~DarkNemesis~

Post by ~DarkNemesis~ »

in Virginia its a 3 mile off shore dump. I will be keeping mine. If I dont get out there I will pay the 15$ to pump out. I wont rid of any grandfathered Equip....
Commissionpoint
Active User

Post by Commissionpoint »

I live in a no discharge zone. Everyone has gray water tanks. The fine for being convicted of overboard discharge is more than some of our boats are worth. Pumpouts are only $5 though, black or gray. Lots of ppl have macerators and more than one black water holding tank here, but overboard thru-hulls must be sealed or you fail the inspection and can't even launch.
1978 F-32 "Eclipse"
Merc 305 SBC's
1.52:1 Borg Warners

1983 Correct Craft
Commander 351 Ford (PCM)
1:1 Borg Warner

There are 350 different varieties of shark, not counting loan or pool.
guglielmo6160
Moderate User

Post by guglielmo6160 »

vitality,.
I mentioned pump out, not the fact of just having a macerator on board,
here in florida, I found , some marinas do not want a macerator pump out on any boats in the marinas,
I keep my boat at home, so I wasnt sure of the rules, but apparently its ok, so long as your offshore,
I just didnt feel like removing it, I use the pump out station at a local fuel stop anyway so I dont have to remove it/ I dont think its ok to dump waste, off shore or anywhere else for that matter.
1983 10 meter express
Vitaliy
Moderate User

Post by Vitaliy »

i have a Y Valve with a lock for the tanks, passes all inspections and makes sure the waste is diverted to the tanks instead of overboard.
Big D
Ultimate User

Post by Big D »

Not allowed on inland waters up my way. We are supposed to disable overboard discharges when we come across one. What gets me is the amount of units I see that are physically still hooked up plumbing wise and all that is done is seacock shut off, sometimes handle removed, and wires cut. The proper way is to disconnect wiring at the breaker, disconnect wiring at the pump, and what most fail to do is disconnect the lines from both the holding tank and seacock. Not doing this is an invitation for fluid to get into the lines and pump/macerator then freeze and split over the winter (YUK). I see this all the time. Most will simply close the seacock and remove the handle but there is no garanty the seacock won't leak one day, take on water, nevermind what may get in there from the tank, then split in the winter. The usual winterizing practice for something like this would be to open the seacock once she's out of the water to let out any water that may have leaked in, then close it again but the handle has been removed! So best to remove line, plug seacock with brass plug and leave the handle. With the lines removed, no need to worry about water/fluids finding their way into the lines and pump then having to wonder at winter time if you need to check them.

Speaking of smells, anybody here have Vacuflush systems and can't seem to get rid of odors in the boat?
She was a 1969 36 ft wooden beauty with big blue 440s that we'll miss forever.
And thanks to the gang, 2012 Trojan Boater Of The Year
ready123
Ultimate User

Post by ready123 »

Big D wrote:Speaking of smells, anybody here have Vacuflush systems and can't seem to get rid of odors in the boat?
Hoses :?:
Most common cause is old hoses... put rag in hot water then leave on hose in low spot till it cools, if rag smells change hoses.
I like this hose (Trident XHD):
Michael
Rum is the reason Pirate's have never ruled the world
Done Dreamin'
1987 President 43' Twin Lehman 225SP Turbo
Highfield 310 Ally 15 HP Yamaha 2cycle
1978 F32 Sedan twin 318 Chry SOLD
Safe Cove Marina, Port Charlotte, FL
guglielmo6160
Moderate User

Post by guglielmo6160 »

Big D

thats an interesting test procedure,,
1983 10 meter express
Vitaliy
Moderate User

Post by Vitaliy »

must be nice to just changed the hoses, not all of us are fortunate enough to have them in an easily accessible location :p
BobCT
Active User

Post by BobCT »

I removed mine along with the seacock, I'll never be in an area where I can use it anyway. Two less things to worry about. I don't mind pumping out even if I could discharge.

Bob
1988 10m mid cabin
Big D
Ultimate User

Post by Big D »

ready123 wrote:...Hoses :?: Most common cause is old hoses... put rag in hot water then leave on hose in low spot till it cools, if rag smells change hoses.
I like this hose (Trident XHD):
Most common cause IMO is poor quality hose and standing fluid. Ya I use the rag method all the time, really works but I don't use hot water. Trident hose is a very good brand. I preffer Sealand's hose, IMO it is the best hose on the market.
She was a 1969 36 ft wooden beauty with big blue 440s that we'll miss forever.
And thanks to the gang, 2012 Trojan Boater Of The Year
Commissionpoint
Active User

Post by Commissionpoint »

I like TigerFlex. They make a type of hose for just about anything you could need. Very helpful to know about them if you own a boat. Bilge pumps, blowers, sink drains, holding tanks, water plumbing, heads, etc. They have a hose for everything.

http://kuriyama.thomasnet.com/category/ ... bc=3001374
1978 F-32 "Eclipse"
Merc 305 SBC's
1.52:1 Borg Warners

1983 Correct Craft
Commander 351 Ford (PCM)
1:1 Borg Warner

There are 350 different varieties of shark, not counting loan or pool.