Generator Question, OH Boy, setting myself up Im sure,,,,,

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

ready123
Ultimate User

Post by ready123 »

IMO the real concern here is do you have the battery storage power to feed the inverter?
How do you replenish the batteries?
What is the use here, day trips, days at anchor or ?
What else uses inverter, fridge, stove, TV stereo?

To me it makes more sense to use a generator to power that kind of heavy load rather than deal with power conversion inefficiencies going from 12V to 120V.
Michael
Rum is the reason Pirate's have never ruled the world
Done Dreamin'
1987 President 43' Twin Lehman 225SP Turbo
Highfield 310 Ally 15 HP Yamaha 2cycle
1978 F32 Sedan twin 318 Chry SOLD
Safe Cove Marina, Port Charlotte, FL
Vitaliy
Moderate User

Post by Vitaliy »

my marineaire 16.5k has a starting load of 22AMPS and a runing amp of 13, meaning you will need a 4400 watt or so inverter to be on the safe side, you will most likely need to upgrade your batery charger to have an output of 20-30 AMPS per bank plus some heavy duty deep cycle batteries,

yout looking at at least 500-600 for a good inverter, and about 400 for a good bat charger if not more, IMO its risky as hell and you run the risk of overheating your bateries and charger, its just not practical.
1974 F36 Tri-Cabin "Jorallyn"
Commissionpoint
Active User

Post by Commissionpoint »

Someone like prowlers paul might know if there is a Northern Lights model with ignition protection. Just for another generator avenue to explore.

I don't see a practical inverter setup that fits your needs in your size boat.
1978 F-32 "Eclipse"
Merc 305 SBC's
1.52:1 Borg Warners

1983 Correct Craft
Commander 351 Ford (PCM)
1:1 Borg Warner

There are 350 different varieties of shark, not counting loan or pool.
guglielmo6160
Moderate User

Post by guglielmo6160 »

understood,
as I thought,
seems the only real solution is to opt for the generator if I want to power the air condtioning,
I currently have 4 deep cycle marine , and not sure what type of charger is in this boat, as I can see it, but havent read the specs on it,
what I do know is the batts are new, I bought them myself
so I was thinking of using the inverter while the engines are running, but I think that may be a stressful load and the alternators, so back to the original plan
1983 10 meter express
Vitaliy
Moderate User

Post by Vitaliy »

have you considered buying a used marine genset? there are several on ebay that might do the trick, check with your local marine resale shop, i saw an ONAN 6.5k on sale at the shop next to my place a few months back for 2k, great shape.
1974 F36 Tri-Cabin "Jorallyn"
Big D
Ultimate User

Post by Big D »

Commissionpoint wrote:....I don't see a practical inverter setup that fits your needs in your size boat.
+++

Inverters are practical for short high loads ie; microwave, or long low loads ie; fridge, computer, tv, etc. but IMO not practical for something like AC. You'd be making whosesale changes to your engine charging system, wiring, battery capacity, etc. One whould have to do the math to determine capacities but I suspect you'd be running the eninge/s on the hook often to recharge unless you have a huge battery bank. I know of a newer Carver with 10 x 6 volt batteries and it is not enough to run 1 unit satisfactorily. I suspect by the time you fork out the dough for a large enough battery bank, charging system and wiring upgrade, and a true sine-wave inverter which is what you should use in this app., you'd be in the same ball park as a good rebuilt generator that pound for pound will satisfy your needs better given that it would allow you to run so much more at the same time. I also like the option of having a much smaller engine charging all my banks rather than the two gas guzzlers! One little engine will keep you cool, charge your batteries, make you coffee, cook you breakfast,....
She was a 1969 36 ft wooden beauty with big blue 440s that we'll miss forever.
And thanks to the gang, 2012 Trojan Boater Of The Year
RWS
Ultimate User

Post by RWS »

ditto COMMISSIONPOINT +1

ditto BIGD + 1

You really want something SAFE and PRACTICAL.

SAFE being the bigger issue.

No way to do this with bailing wire and twine.

I have used my little 5kW diesel genny nearly 1,300 trouble free hours.

starts every single time

charges every single time

no worries about running or CO

When I am on the water i need safe and reliable - that is what is most important to me.

RWS
1983 10 Meter SOLD after 21 years of adventures
Yanmar diesels
Solid Glass Hull
Woodless Stringers
Full Hull Liner
Survived Andrew Cat 5,Eye of Charley Cat 4, & Irma Cat 2
Trojan International Website: http://trojanboat.com/

WEBSITE & SITELOCK TOTALLY SELF FUNDED
rvrrunner

Post by rvrrunner »

My friend runs his Sea Ray like that. He is only running a small 5k btu air. do not know his recovery time but he normally only runs the inverter at nite . The battery's do not last all nite. then he has to run his gen. all day. Another friend currently doing the loop runs mostly on his inverter .Unless he is going to run the ac then he fires the gen as not to run the battery bank down. He just replaced the inverter bank after 2 years.He is running wind generators to charge the bank. IMO until battery tech. improves running ac on an inverter is not the way to go.
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Commissionpoint wrote:Someone like prowlers paul might know if there is a Northern Lights model with ignition protection. Just for another generator avenue to explore.

I don't see a practical inverter setup that fits your needs in your size boat.

Northern Lights shows no indaction of ignition protection . Great gensets but mostly likley not sutable in a gas envorment . Being all they make are Diesel they may not beinterested in making one safe for a gas boat . It is a small markit .You can contact them to be sure

There are some diesels gensets that are safe for gas boats , but unless you plan on repowering the boat to diesel or going to put high hours on them, I don't belive they are worth the cost .
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
RWS
Ultimate User

Post by RWS »

Next Gen makes two different diesel models that are CERTIFIED to run in a Gasoline environment/marine engine room

I own the 5kW model

It runs my 10 meter AC fridges and ice maker, batt charger and all else well

I do not run the microwave and stovetop with the AC on, or the water heater

RWS
1983 10 Meter SOLD after 21 years of adventures
Yanmar diesels
Solid Glass Hull
Woodless Stringers
Full Hull Liner
Survived Andrew Cat 5,Eye of Charley Cat 4, & Irma Cat 2
Trojan International Website: http://trojanboat.com/

WEBSITE & SITELOCK TOTALLY SELF FUNDED
guglielmo6160
Moderate User

Post by guglielmo6160 »

thanks to everyone for all their input and good info, Ive decided to wait a little while till I decide which way to go, new or used. Im really not sure yet and its not a priority as I have mentioned before I dont do a lot of overnight boating .For now I dont need a generator ,if the opportunity presents itself on a good used gen, then I may go for it. As far as new, for now its not going to happen, I can think of at least a hundred items I would purchase before spending 6- 9K on a gen.
thanks again,
1983 10 meter express
gettaway
Active User

Post by gettaway »

I have used a Honda EU-2000 for years and it works perfectly for the boat, however, I do not have air conditioning.

I put the generator at the bow and sit it on a thick rubber pad, cuts the vibration and as far as noise, if you know the EU series from honda, they are near silent.

the little Honda will run the fridge, battery charger and water heater at the same time, OR, the microwave.

When I dont need it on the boat it is in my garage, safe, sound and not corroding away.

as far as safety,when I bring the generator, I carry a 1 gallon gas can that I use for the dingy or the Honda, I NEVER run the gen anywhere but the bow, and it is stored with the fuel vent closed.

BTW 4 hours on a gallon of gas, full load.
1984 Silverton 37C
Silver Lining
Scott
guglielmo6160
Moderate User

Post by guglielmo6160 »

be careful gettaway a lot of the guys here may slap you around a bit for using a Portable gen,,,lol
I know those honda gens, I actually have an eu 1000 that I use in my work truck, they are amazing, , the issue is I need the air conditioner to work,
and I dont think the 2000 will do it,,,
thanks
1983 10 meter express