Heat on my Ocean Breeze 12000 btu reverse cycle

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

carlywolf
Sporadic User

Heat on my Ocean Breeze 12000 btu reverse cycle

Post by carlywolf »

Hey all, hope everyones holidays are going great.... my a/c is working great but when i switch over to heat it cycles over to heat for a bit then blows the circuit breaker after a minute or so, heat does start to blow out . water temperature here is about 68-70 . after resetting unit i might get 3-4 minutes then trips it again. Like i stated b4 a/c works fine ... Any ideas? Water flow from unit is real strong also...... Thx
Classic 1977 F26 HT 5.7 MPFI 350 (330HP)
CLAS-SEA
Carl
srokag44
Sporadic User

Post by srokag44 »

Is this a reverse cycle unit or is heat supplied electrically? Reverse cycle units generally pull more current when operating in heat mode than while in cool mode.

Looks to me like Ocean Breeze units are electric heat. http://oceanbreezeac.com/sc_6p5-18k.php

If you have the OB12CH, it looks like the heater power is 2.0 kW. At 120V this would be 16.7 amps. The fan motor will also pull about an amp. What is your circuit breaker rating?
1985 Trojan 10 Meter International Sedan
carlywolf
Sporadic User

Post by carlywolf »

yes it is electric heat not rev cycle. my mistake , compressor is kicking on which i think draws to many amps then trips breaker. could it be a setting that the factory didnt fine tune? Was told that by another owner of Ocean breeze 12000 unit.
CLAS-SEA
Carl
srokag44
Sporadic User

Post by srokag44 »

Compressor shouldn't kick on at all while in heat mode. If it does while there is power going to the heaters then that would definitely trip the breaker. If the compressor is indeed starting up while in heat mode then there is an issue with the wiring or the controller.

What type of controller do you have? Digital or three-knob manual?
carlywolf
Sporadic User

Post by carlywolf »

Digital Qu301.. so i think i might have to get into the settings mode
CLAS-SEA
Carl
srokag44
Sporadic User

Post by srokag44 »

There is often a programmable setting to tell the controller whether the unit is reverse cycle or electric heating. Sounds like that could be the issue. I'm not familiar with the Qu301 controller so I can't be more specific but there should be either a programmable parameter to change or a selector switch on the controller.
carlywolf
Sporadic User

Post by carlywolf »

Thx Srokag44, i think your correct, its a programable parameter i need to get into. Techy stuff im sure, Im a learner sooo , . I see your in Merritt Island also, I keep my boat at Harbortown Marina when im going to go fishing early or when friends visit and we stay on it for a couple days. Thx again for your insight...:)
CLAS-SEA
Carl
srokag44
Sporadic User

Post by srokag44 »

I stopped in at Harbortown this past Sunday for some drinks and to grab a bite to eat. If you can't get the heat mode working after playing with the programmable settings let me know, I can stop by some time and take a look at it with you. I design, build, and test experimental cooling and heating systems day in and day out so I should be able to diagnose it for you.
carlywolf
Sporadic User

Post by carlywolf »

Thx for the offer, i might be at Harbortown this weekend or next so ill try and program it per manual i have . If i get stuck ill take you up on the offer... Thx again.
CLAS-SEA
Carl