Winter projects...

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

Cmount
Sporadic User

Re: Winter projects...

Post by Cmount »

Almost time to post results pictures. I'm about half done and need the cold to go away. Launch date is Early april. The count down to splash is t-30 days!
1987 Jersey Dawn
"The Other Woman II"
yorklyn
Active User

Post by yorklyn »

Along with the hundreds of other winter boat projects that I've been working on, I just started sorting out every wire on the entire boat! I've learned more about boat wiring in the last two weeks than I ever knew before. It has actually been very satisying to remove all the old abandoned wire, inspect the existing wiring and replace any wire that is sub-par. I was surprised to find only a small amount of "hacked " wiring, the majority of the boat has not been messed with has almost no corosion!
Todd Pote
1987 10 Meter Mid Cabin
Double Pote-N_Sea
1992 Scout 15.5 Center Console
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Looks like you been busy
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
alexander38
Ultimate User

Post by alexander38 »

Can't wait to paint my Engine Room, the white looks so neat and clean..Carver painted mine black and I can't stand it. Did you do anything to the Engines and trans ?
Carver 3607 ACMY 454's Merc's
10' Dinghy 6hp Merc.
La Dolce Vita
Let's hit the water !

http://s852.beta.photobucket.com/user/t ... 8/library/
yorklyn
Active User

Post by yorklyn »

Engines are at the machine shop right now being totally rebuilt. need to drop trans off asap to have them gone through too.
Todd Pote
1987 10 Meter Mid Cabin
Double Pote-N_Sea
1992 Scout 15.5 Center Console
Big D
Ultimate User

Post by Big D »

alexander38 wrote:Can't wait to paint my Engine Room.....Carver painted mine black....
Black? Been on many Carvers and that's a first. Are you sure it`s OEM? What are you saying is black besides those big hunks of metal?
She was a 1969 36 ft wooden beauty with big blue 440s that we'll miss forever.
And thanks to the gang, 2012 Trojan Boater Of The Year
Allen Sr
Active User

Post by Allen Sr »

Big D wrote:
alexander38 wrote:Can't wait to paint my Engine Room.....Carver painted mine black....
Black? Been on many Carvers and that's a first. Are you sure it`s OEM? What are you saying is black besides those big hunks of metal?
Its all the oil thats been leaking out! :P :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Growing old is inevitable,but growing up is optional
1984 F36 w/350 Crusaders 'Reel Class'
2011 Trojan Rendevous
Solomons Get Together 2011
Ocean City 2012,2013,2015
Big D
Ultimate User

Post by Big D »

Allen Sr wrote:
Big D wrote:
Its all the oil thats been leaking out! :P :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Oh right. They're 454's. That makes sence now. :P Don't feel bad Tony, it's a rear main seal thing. The Merc Phantom Black helps to hide that. :lol:
She was a 1969 36 ft wooden beauty with big blue 440s that we'll miss forever.
And thanks to the gang, 2012 Trojan Boater Of The Year
alexander38
Ultimate User

Post by alexander38 »

Both of you BITE ME..! :P I've on two 3607's and they both had black engine rooms. I've seen some with gray.

And for the record my 454's DON'T LEAK A DROP !....or burn oil... :P ...they take a whipping and keep on tickin'
Carver 3607 ACMY 454's Merc's
10' Dinghy 6hp Merc.
La Dolce Vita
Let's hit the water !

http://s852.beta.photobucket.com/user/t ... 8/library/
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Back to projects

Plan A White Engines / white engine room / transom door / plus 9

Plan B White Engines / gray engine room / transom door

Plan C White Engine / unknown color / with or with out a door

plan D ........................................................... :mrgreen:

There is no Plan E
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Cmount
Sporadic User

Post by Cmount »

Some pics of some of the work done this winter

http://s814.photobucket.com/user/CJMOUN ... t=3&page=1

Let's see if it works.
1987 Jersey Dawn
"The Other Woman II"
mikeandanne
Moderate User

Post by mikeandanne »

Cmount,I see in your pics that you have the same tilting anchor roller as I have. I just got one of those and windlass from Good----wondering how you installed yours as I have not even had chance to scope it out yet( ice and snow still)---boat looks great in the pics,hull looks like new- I will be happy if ours looks half as good--- what do you use to get the rudders and props clean?---Mike
P-Dogg
Active User
Location: Near Baltimorgue, Murderland, where they prove every day that gun control doesn't work.

Re:

Post by P-Dogg »

Well, the shrink wrap is coming off the adjacent boats and the ice eaters are long gone from the docks. Time to admit that winter in Maryland has come and gone. Am I the only one with shattered dreams of projects that might have been? I had such high hopes for myself. For various reasons, mostly all I did was spend the winter changing my fresh water tank, which I may never even see again.

P-Dogg wrote:
anyone else gotta list ?
1). Finish installing fresh water tank level sensor, right after I.....DONE!

2). Remove, sandblast, and recoat the interior of the fresh water tank with a product called Brewcoat. The sending unit screws into a female pipe thread. To get said thread where I needed it, I rolled a piece of 1/8" aluminum to fit the curve of the tank, then welded a half-nipple in the middle of the plate. When I cut the 8"x 8" hole (might as well make it big enough for a proper inspection port) in the top of the tank for the sending unit mounting plate, I discovered pitting inside of the water tank. The baffle was also broken-off of it's mount and flailing about the tank. I'll bolt that back in place with some bracing internal to the tank. Since the heat-affected zones of the aluminum weld showed an inordinate amount of pitting compared with the rest of the tank, I do not want to re-weld it. For those of you that have never seen inside of your water tank (you know who you are!), there is a square piece of aluminum that serves as a baffle that is welded vertically in the middle of the tank. The corners of the baffle are bent such that a hypotenuse about 2" long is created when the corners of the baffle are folded 90 degrees. These folded corners are then welded to the inside of the tank in a lap joint fashion. The corners are bent sharply. Over time, the sloshing water fatigued the metal where it was bent and liberated the baffle from the tank. OLD TANK WAS CRAP. BOUGHT A NEW PLASTIC ONE AS, GULP, STRIPERMANN2 SAID THAT I SHOULD DO IN THE FIRST PLACE. NEW TANK LOOKS BEAUTIFUL AND WILL OUTLAST ME. INCLUDES ABOUT 8 MORE GALLONS OF WATER IN THE SAME SPACE. THREAD WITH NEW TANK INSTALLATION IS COMING AARON. IF YOU HAVE A 3-DECADE-OLD ALUMINUM WATER TANK, YOU SHOULD BE WORRIED.

3). Fabricate a new bow pulipt with integral spotlight, bollard, and winch mount. NOT DONE. DID BUY A REALLY NICE BOLLARD FROM BUCK ALGONQUIN, THOUGH. MAY EVEN EVENTUALLY INSTALL IT BEFORE THE WARRANTY ON MY WINCH EXPIRES.

4). Buy a new anchor rode. NOPE. DIDN'T GET TO THIS EITHER.

5). Install a new winch. SEE NUMBER 4.

6). Fabricate an auxiliary console at the helm station that will incorporate the controls for my new spotlight, winch, two-station bilge sniffer, high-water alarm sensor, generator-on indicator light, and future goodies. HAH. I WISH!

7). Buy and mount a dinghy. I DID BUY A NICE 10 FT APEX RIB WITH 15 HP ELECTRIC START OUTBOARD. MOUNTING TBD, PROBABLY A SEAWISE AFTER I RECOVER FROM LAST MONTH'S $11K VISA BILL. HONEY, IF YOU EVER READ THE FORUM, I LOVE YOU.

eight). (FREAKING SMILEY!) Address security in a matter I won't discuss publicly. I CAN NEITHER CONFIRM NOR DENY THAT I WORKED ON THIS. BUT I DID SPEND A LOT OF TIME AT THE GUN RANGE OVER THE WINTER.

That should do it for this winter. In the near future, I have plans to fabricate a composite hard-top, with a bunch of integral components like fishing rod holders, lights, and an anchor light that actually meets the regs. My boat was 27 years old when I bought it last summer, and it did not have a compliant anchor light! "NEAR" IS A RELATIVE TERM.

Oh, and this winter, I eventually need to winterize the boat....
I needed a less expensive hobby, so I bought a boat!
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

That happens to all of us .
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Cmount
Sporadic User

Post by Cmount »

mikeandanne wrote:Cmount,I see in your pics that you have the same tilting anchor roller as I have. I just got one of those and windlass from Good----wondering how you installed yours as I have not even had chance to scope it out yet( ice and snow still)---boat looks great in the pics,hull looks like new- I will be happy if ours looks half as good--- what do you use to get the rudders and props clean?---Mike

Here are some photos from the outside. I will shoot some from the inside but it just looks like bolts through the deck in there.

http://s814.photobucket.com/user/CJMOUN ... t=3&page=1

Let me know if you have more questions.
1987 Jersey Dawn
"The Other Woman II"