Winter projects...

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

alexander38
Ultimate User

Winter projects...

Post by alexander38 »

well here's a short list.....

1, tune wheels 22x21...done already 22x21 with a #4 cup...the slip was to much, hopefully the cup will cut down on that.

2, Align rudders, done, and boy did that suck...hangin' up side down half a day..

3, fix blister's Started..have some good size ones..about 2"x3" in different spots. Carver had trouble with the glass mixture in the mid 80's. But the up side is no little ones...(didn't help that P.O. never took her out long enough to dry out the 12 yrs he had her, and only did 3 bottom jobs on her)

4, new water heater..

5, Davits for the dinghy, haven't made up my mind yet on what kind. Do I do and set that I pull the dink on to or a pair that it hangs from ? If you have suggestions please give them ?

6, paint out side of port lights Carver white to give boat and updated look. (she who must be obeyed wants this one)

7, make doors and install doors for aft deck, using PVC lumber for this, tried some pcs of this and glued it together and it holds great..

8, install new trim tabs 42x12's. the 24x8's are just to small. Tabman has helped me with this, to make sure my ideals would work in the real world, Jamie and Paul kept me real too ....

9, get the cost of new canvas... :shock: then wake up....

10, install some kind of A/C on the bridge..we do alot of traveling at hull speed and the Bay is nasty hot in July and August and I'm getting to old to put up with it...lol..

11, this is a maybe, replace the canvas on the aft deck hand rails with with pvc of fiberglass sheets to give it a more finished look.

12, and yes a wash and wax before she goes back in..

well that's about it for me...

13, forgot one :oops: re-core the swim platform...it's water logged..
Last edited by alexander38 on Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Carver 3607 ACMY 454's Merc's
10' Dinghy 6hp Merc.
La Dolce Vita
Let's hit the water !

http://s852.beta.photobucket.com/user/t ... 8/library/
DOUBLE R
Sporadic User

Post by DOUBLE R »

Holy Toledo batman. You have a whole heap of work to do. Keep us posted on the projects with pics.
MY CURENT FLEET

2003 KEY WEST 2020 WA
1978 ASHCRAFT 14' SKIFF
Big D
Ultimate User

Re: Winter projects...

Post by Big D »

alexander38 wrote:.....8, install new trim tabs 42x12's....
Dual cylinders/actuators per side?
She was a 1969 36 ft wooden beauty with big blue 440s that we'll miss forever.
And thanks to the gang, 2012 Trojan Boater Of The Year
Allen Sr
Active User

Post by Allen Sr »

Well with that list you won't have much time to be on here! I already pulled my v-berth apart and started cutting out and removing the soft deck because the anchor chock peices were NEVER sealed up when installed. so now I am at an area of 2.5' x 5.5' cut out from below! Trying to get the rest of the coring to dry out. Fun, Fun, Fun..................NOT! :roll: :roll: I won't even go into the rest of the list like a couple of thru hulls to re-seal, rudder port and stuffing boxes, re-wire windless, re-install bow pulpit and windless, wash/wax.................. sorry was looking for the end of my list............. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Growing old is inevitable,but growing up is optional
1984 F36 w/350 Crusaders 'Reel Class'
2011 Trojan Rendevous
Solomons Get Together 2011
Ocean City 2012,2013,2015
alexander38
Ultimate User

Re: Winter projects...

Post by alexander38 »

[quote="Big D"][quote="alexander38"].....8, install new trim tabs 42x12's....[/quote]

Dual cylinders/actuators per side?[/quote]

yep, Bennett said the 42's would work with one (largest one with one) but I got a whole system from a old Bert, that's heading to the land fill. So putting on the extra rams on the 42's is a no brainier....all this cost me is fittings some tube and my labor... :wink:
10' Dinghy 6hp Merc.
La Dolce Vita
Let's hit the water !

Big D
Ultimate User

Post by Big D »

Tony, you may want to consider replacing the cylinder seals while you have everything off.

Also, be careful when you thread the brass nipple through the transome into the actuator. The fluid travels into the actuator through the mount via a small hole that can very easily be covered up if you thread the nipple in too far...take a look for this before assembly for refference. Don't use teflon tape. And like anything else, after you drill your holes, dig out the core and epoxy, then caulk, including all the screws.
alexander38
Ultimate User

Post by alexander38 »

[quote="Big D"]Tony, you may want to consider replacing the cylinder seals while you have everything off.

Also, be careful when you thread the brass nipple through the transome into the actuator. The fluid travels into the actuator through the mount via a small hole that can very easily be covered up if you thread the nipple in too far...take a look for this before assembly for refference. Don't use teflon tape. And like anything else, after you drill your holes, dig out the core and epoxy, then caulk, including all the screws.[/quote]

Gotcha, on the rams..going to redo all 4 of them, I plan on over drilling all holes even the Carver original ones and digging out core and filling with west system and then drilling to the right size. Thanks about the supply hole line up learned something there... :wink:
10' Dinghy 6hp Merc.
La Dolce Vita
Let's hit the water !

Big D
Ultimate User

Post by Big D »

alexander38 wrote:...Thanks about the supply hole line up learned something there... :wink:
Common mistake/oversite. The small fluid hole is not in the center of the hole that the nipple goes into. It is on the bottom end of the hole because of the angle of the ram. It's tiny so look close. The internal threads end just before the hole but because it's plastic, it's easy to go too far and block the hole with the end of the nipple.
alexander38
Ultimate User

Post by alexander38 »

anyone else gotta list ? 8)
10' Dinghy 6hp Merc.
La Dolce Vita
Let's hit the water !

Allen Sr
Active User

Post by Allen Sr »

alexander38 wrote:anyone else gotta list ? 8)
I posted mine above :arrow:
Growing old is inevitable,but growing up is optional
1984 F36 w/350 Crusaders 'Reel Class'
2011 Trojan Rendevous
Solomons Get Together 2011
Ocean City 2012,2013,2015
alexander38
Ultimate User

Post by alexander38 »

got to ask, isn't going at soft from the bottom the hard way to do it ?
10' Dinghy 6hp Merc.
La Dolce Vita
Let's hit the water !

captainmaniac
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by captainmaniac »

alexander38 wrote:got to ask, isn't going at soft from the bottom the hard way to do it ?
Preserves the deck lines, shape, and nonslip.
captainmaniac
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by captainmaniac »

Short list this year. There are the usual annual cleanup and maintenance items, but the 'extra' items for this year are:

1. Thinking about disassembling starboard stuffing box... have had an annoying squeal that comes from the stbd shaft when at idle speed and shifting into neutral (some kind of resonance frequency thing) that I have been unable to track down over the past 3 years. Checked tranny, had engine shifted to change shaft trajectory, had alignment done, replaced strut bearings, repacked stuffing box, changed type of packing used... all that is left is to remove the stuffing box entirely and see what's going on inside.

2. Repaint all window trim and salon door - got everything prepped, primed, and one coat on before the temp went south on me... One more sanding and finish coat needed in the spring.

3. Window H Channel - have some missing, and thinking of replacing what I do have. $$$ to Beacon!

4. Sand and refresh varnish on aft rail. Starting to look a little rough.
alexander38
Ultimate User

Post by alexander38 »

[quote="captainmaniac"][quote="alexander38"]got to ask, isn't going at soft from the bottom the hard way to do it ?[/quote]
Preserves the deck lines, shape, and nonslip.[/quote]

I suppose your right on that, I can see how cuttin' from the top would add to the job.
10' Dinghy 6hp Merc.
La Dolce Vita
Let's hit the water !

prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

captainmaniac wrote:
alexander38 wrote:got to ask, isn't going at soft from the bottom the hard way to do it ?
Preserves the deck lines, shape, and nonslip.

If its not a huge area thats how I would do it .
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D