Sign of the times...

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

Stripermann2
Ultimate User

Sign of the times...

Post by Stripermann2 »

Brunswick looking to unload Hatteras and Cabo.

Brunswick Corporation: Brunswick Announces Plan To Exit Hatteras And CABO Brands

LAKE FOREST, Ill. Jan. 3, 2013 --- Brunswick Corporation (NYSE: BC) announced today that its board of directors has authorized the Company to seek a buyer for its Hatteras and CABO brands of motoryachts and sportfishing convertibles.

"This action reflects our decision to exit the sportfishing convertible category and to concentrate our resources in the yacht segment on our remaining brands, Sea Ray and Meridian Yachts. When completed, this action will also contribute to our goal of a break-even or better Boat Segment in 2013, even if the larger sterndrive/inboard fiberglass markets do not improve," said Brunswick Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Dustan E. McCoy.

"The current plan assumes that the eventual purchaser will retain both the physical plant and the talented workforce of Hatteras/CABO. During the sale process, which we seek to complete in an expeditious manner, Hatteras and CABO will maintain ongoing operations, and we will keep our employees and dealer network informed of our progress."

As a result of this decision, the Company expects to record charges in the range of $70 million to $80 million, a majority of which will be recorded in the fourth quarter of 2012.

Brunswick purchased Hatteras Yachts in 2001 and CABO in 2006. Both are based in New Bern, N.C.
Jamie

1985 F-32 270 Crusaders
1988 Sea Ray 23 350 Merc.
Trojan. Enjoy the ride...

-I don't wanna hear anyone whine...Anymore!
-You might get there before me, but you still have to wait for me, for the fun to start!
Big D
Ultimate User

Post by Big D »

Oh oh. Man, I hope the bleeding stops soon. Hoping for a better year in this and other industries. Good to know Jamie, thanks.
She was a 1969 36 ft wooden beauty with big blue 440s that we'll miss forever.
And thanks to the gang, 2012 Trojan Boater Of The Year
gettaway
Active User

Post by gettaway »

my comment will most likely get deleted or moved to pontifications: BUT:

Is corporate stratagy like this a surpise, especially in luxury markets like boats?

Tax the rich, then tax them more, they should pay thier fair share, add a novel of regulations to manufacturers and file law suits for every minor event.....

remember the last tax the rich scheme in the form of a luxury tax, how many boat builders went under, how many "fair shake" middle class families lost thier jobs in the name of getting even with the rich and making them pay...

holy crap it's deja vu all over again :cry:
1984 Silverton 37C
Silver Lining
Scott
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Something I hate to see for sure .
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
myakka

Post by myakka »

Robin hood policies ALWAYS hurt the people politicians are, supposedly, trying to help.
Squall sailing dingy
18 outrage(Sold)
25 Trojan(still own, until current user finishes paying me)
Dauntless 220
alexander38
Ultimate User

Post by alexander38 »

It's going to be sad for sure. Cabo mkes a real nice S.F. love the lines of them ( yes Paul I said that ) :lol: And nothing needs to be said about Hat, But the market is limb soft. I can't think of the last time I seen a new mid-size Hat. the 36' to say 45' Maybe someone like Marquis aka Carver who has already gone thru this will pick one up.
Here's a dream for you, Buy Cabo and rename the line Trojan.... :wink: :arrow:
Carver 3607 ACMY 454's Merc's
10' Dinghy 6hp Merc.
La Dolce Vita
Let's hit the water !

http://s852.beta.photobucket.com/user/t ... 8/library/
aaronbocknek
Ultimate User
Location: baltimore, md (alexandria, va and middle river,md) PARKSIDE MARINA

Post by aaronbocknek »

well, mainship and hunter and i believe luhrs are now part of marlow marine and silverton has been bought by egg harbor. if done correctly, the other brands might survive too. with marlows purchase of the former sparkman-stevens dry dock company in florida, refits and such will be a good business model going forward.

http://www.tradeonlytoday.com/home/5212 ... -challenge
1982 F-36 TRI CABIN ENTERPRISE
PARKSIDE MARINA IN MIDDLE RIVER, MD
aaronbocknek@gmail.com
gettaway
Active User

Post by gettaway »

I thought luhrs went into BK with no plans of continuing, Hunter was the only surviving brand.

Hatteras and Viking stopped building a 35-40' boat a number of years ago and went into big luxury sportfishers and some cruisers, but was told that they moved away from the production size boat as there was not much room in that market with all of the less expensive production brands in that size range.
1984 Silverton 37C
Silver Lining
Scott
gettaway
Active User

Post by gettaway »

1984 Silverton 37C
Silver Lining
Scott
k9th
Ultimate User

Post by k9th »

Hatteras is a great boat - hopefully they will continue in business.
Tim

"SeaDog"
1979 36' Tri-Cabin
summer storm
Moderate User

Post by summer storm »

aaronbocknek wrote:well, mainship and hunter and i believe luhrs are now part of marlow marine and silverton has been bought by egg harbor. if done correctly, the other brands might survive too. with marlows purchase of the former sparkman-stevens dry dock company in florida, refits and such will be a good business model going forward.

http://www.tradeonlytoday.com/home/5212 ... -challenge
I hope they can turn around the Merrill Stevens mega yacht yard but it won't be easy.
Doug

1977 F-32
1982 Chris Craft 280
1992 Boston Whaler 13 Super Sport Limited
1974 F-25 (Sold)
1979 F-26 (sold)
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Re: Sign of the times...

Post by prowlersfish »

Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
summer storm
Moderate User

Re: Sign of the times...

Post by summer storm »

within the next few weeks we intend to enter into an asset purchase agreement whereby we will sell the Hatteras and CABO yacht business to Navis HCY Acquisition LLC, an affiliate of Versa Capital Management, LLC

Money managers always make the best best boat builders. sigh.....

I guess it's better than folding the brand.
Doug

1977 F-32
1982 Chris Craft 280
1992 Boston Whaler 13 Super Sport Limited
1974 F-25 (Sold)
1979 F-26 (sold)