How do I fix the deck to look nice?

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

Nor'Star Captain

How do I fix the deck to look nice?

Post by Nor'Star Captain »

I have this worn out teak deck on my boat, and would like it to look nicer.
Thinking it was real seams between the planks was wrong - it appears that there is no need for caulking with a caulking iron, but instead just to use the black stuff on top to cover the seams between the planks.

I scrabed off some of the high points in the black material, and sanded the teak deck just enough to get a reddish glow back. Wiped it all down with teak oil, and the wood now looks half-way good :)

But there is still the issue about adding the lines, as some were almost gone over the time since it was done last (maybe not done since the built in 1965?!)

How do I go about making nice even straight lines?
Tom Scott

Post by Tom Scott »

Nor Star Captain:

The lines I am not sure about but I do know that the teak oil from years of applications, mask the true beauty of the Teak. I currently am refurbishing my Teak on my 1976 F30. A high pressure power washer rented from Home Depot along with a 50/50 mix of Clorox bleach and water works wonders compared to lots of sanding.
First a good stripping with a commercial Teak stripper solution along with follow up of 50/50 Clorox and water do good for removing all old embedded Teak oil from the wood. Then after all old black Teak oil streaks are out of the wood, sanding with an electric orbital finishing sander and 60 grit works good.
A product called Decks Olje sold by West Marine will put the color back in the wood and requires very little follow up afterwards. Decks Olje puts a beautiful natural color back in the Teak and last a couple of seasons. A word of caution: Decks Olje is transparent and will show whats in the wood. A good thourghly cleaned/sanded Teak deck is essential to bring back the original beauty of the Teak with Decks Olje high lighting the natural beauty of the wood.

Good Luck
Tom Scott