Windlass

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

mikeandanne
Moderate User

Windlass

Post by mikeandanne »

Hi there--looking for some experienced opinions---trying to decide on a windlass and am looking at the maxwell hrc 6 & 8 models so I will have to get new rode. What size chain ,rope is ok for the f32 ? 1/4 chain/1/2 rode or 5/16 and 9/16 . Thanks Mike
Stripermann2
Ultimate User

Post by Stripermann2 »

I have a Good model windlass which has 1/2" line, which is acceptable for vessels up to 34'. Love it....simplicity at it's best.
Jamie

1985 F-32 270 Crusaders
1988 Sea Ray 23 350 Merc.
Trojan. Enjoy the ride...

-I don't wanna hear anyone whine...Anymore!
-You might get there before me, but you still have to wait for me, for the fun to start!
comodave
Moderate User

Post by comodave »

I am going to put Lewmar H3 horizontal windlass on my F32. It is a little large, but I had it for my last boat and did not install it before I sold the boat. It uses 5/16ths high test chain and 9/16th line. I tend to skew to the larger size if the windlass will take the chain and line size. You do not want to go way too large on the line, since it will not stretch under load. You do want the anchor rode to stretch to help minimize shock loading on the anchor. That said either half inch or 9/16ths should be good for a 32. What size anchor are you going to use. I like to go big on the anchor as long as you can retrieve and store it. I am using a 35 pound Delta.
Trojan has been sold
1987 President 41 DC 225 Lehmans
Au Gres, Michigan
alexander38
Ultimate User

Post by alexander38 »

have to go with Jamie on the Goode. I use mine alot and not always not the way Goode intended, Grounded once and used it and a F36 with oilburners to get it off, They're cheap but they work when you need them.
Carver 3607 ACMY 454's Merc's
10' Dinghy 6hp Merc.
La Dolce Vita
Let's hit the water !

http://s852.beta.photobucket.com/user/t ... 8/library/
Big D
Ultimate User

Re: Windlass

Post by Big D »

mikeandanne wrote:....What size chain ,rope is ok for the f32 ? 1/4 chain/1/2 rode or 5/16 and 9/16 . Thanks Mike
That depends entirely on the unit you choose. I wouldn't buy the rode until you know which windlass you're going with. If going with chain, it's critical that you get the right type for it to work properly and not jam up periodically which will eventually ruin the gypsy. When you decide on make, the size of boat and weight of your gear (anchor, chain, etc) should determine the model (wattage etc), then look up the spec for the rode. Most OEMs have that info on their web sites.
She was a 1969 36 ft wooden beauty with big blue 440s that we'll miss forever.
And thanks to the gang, 2012 Trojan Boater Of The Year
P-Dogg
Active User
Location: Near Baltimorgue, Murderland, where they prove every day that gun control doesn't work.

Post by P-Dogg »

I bought the Maxwell 8 but have not installed it yet. One thing that drew me to it was the presence of an o-ring seal in the gear case. I looked at what folks had to say about Lewmar, and there were complaints about water getting into the gears because there was gasketing.

I also looked at Good because I like the ones with the built-in bitts. Only problem was, the Good windlasses wouldn't take any chain on the rode, something that I feel is imperative.

I have a 36' Tricabin and will be using 5/16" chain and 9/16" line (not the three-strand crap). The advice to use a use a rode specified by the windlass vendor is well taken. There was a typo in the Maxwell literature, that was subsequently perpetuated by re-sellers. I believe that it said that the -8 didn't take 9/16" line. I emailed the factory to confirm and they said 9/16" would fit.
I needed a less expensive hobby, so I bought a boat!
P-Dogg
Active User
Location: Near Baltimorgue, Murderland, where they prove every day that gun control doesn't work.

Post by P-Dogg »

One other thing. It's been a few months since I shopped, but this place had decent prices on ground tackle:

http://www.secosouth.com/mm5/merchant.m ... g_hardware
I needed a less expensive hobby, so I bought a boat!
mikeandanne
Moderate User

Post by mikeandanne »

P dogg---I looked at the maxwell at the boat show and liked what I saw.Read all the same things as you did.Have to say that I would like to get the good as it comes with a kit,chain,line and made in USA---trouble is the shipping to Ontario would about double the price.I used to buy race stuff from a place called seco in Panama City,going there soon so I will see. Again thanks for the thought---Mike
gdcardoza

Post by gdcardoza »

I bought and installed this unit on my 10 meter last summer, bought the rode and wiring kit from the manufacturer as well

http://www.powerwinch.com/powerwinch/co ... t&c=3&p=19

Works amazing, if you're looking to purchase, I can help with that too!
Graham D. Cardoza
President
Overboard Marine Services Ltd
gettaway
Active User

Post by gettaway »

I just bought a Lewmar V1 for the 32, I havent installed it as I may put it on the 36 if this deal goes through.

I'll have to remove the goofy bow pulpit, which I have kind of wanted to do anyways because it looks out of place on the boat. the pulpit base behind the toe kick on the bow is too thick to mount the V1 so< plan to remove the wood pulpit, ad a stainless anchor roller / chock and mount the V1 just about where the aft end of the puplit is sitting. I also plan to change my anchor to a bruce style anchor.
1984 Silverton 37C
Silver Lining
Scott
gettaway
Active User

Post by gettaway »

double
1984 Silverton 37C
Silver Lining
Scott
mikeandanne
Moderate User

Post by mikeandanne »

Getaway----let me know how the install goes and what anchor roller you use.We have to do all the same things ,but there is a difference---up here that won't happen till April or May and I have not seen the boat in months---enjoy the year round boating---Mike