White vinyl headliner, with or without holes?

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

yorklyn
Active User

White vinyl headliner, with or without holes?

Post by yorklyn »

Trying to find new headliner material for my 10 meter. Seems like everyone at the Annapolis boat show is currently using solid white vinyl without the the pinholes in it. I really like the look of the solid material but wondering if i should be concerned about the lack of air circulation? Can I just use regular white vinyl without a foam back or is there actually a special "headliner" vinyl?
Todd Pote
1987 10 Meter Mid Cabin
Double Pote-N_Sea
1992 Scout 15.5 Center Console
gettaway
Active User

Re: White vinyl headliner, with or without holes?

Post by gettaway »

I too am contemplating this issue, I havent seen a newer boat in years with the old pin hole auto headliner
1984 Silverton 37C
Silver Lining
Scott
75 Tri Cabin

Post by 75 Tri Cabin »

You can use what you like. Just use a good marine grade material. We put them in all the time in boats. Seaquest, Capitano, Nautolex and Stamoid are great. Only problems as with any headliner is water leaking in. Just make sure it's going to stay dry. We use a hose and water down the area that we are going to put the new headliner in, to check for leaks. I also put in insulation in at the time, if there is room, helps with heat and air condition retention. Next week we are replacing ours in the aft cabin and main salon. Will be using solid. Just stay away from the automotive grade materials.
Jack
Hartwell Marina, Hartwell GA.
RWS
Ultimate User

Post by RWS »

yet another advantage of the 10 meter non-mid cabin.....

the vacuum formed cabin has a built in headliner with the A/C ducts built in and ZERO VINYL !

RWS
1983 10 Meter SOLD after 21 years of adventures
Yanmar diesels
Solid Glass Hull
Woodless Stringers
Full Hull Liner
Survived Andrew Cat 5,Eye of Charley Cat 4, & Irma Cat 2
Trojan International Website: http://trojanboat.com/

WEBSITE & SITELOCK TOTALLY SELF FUNDED
yorklyn
Active User

Post by yorklyn »

Jack,
does regular marine vinyl have enough stretch to be used as a headliner or is there a special "headliner" version? any suggestions on where to get the metal strips that you wrap the material around and staple (I have no idea what its called)? I was also looking at this track but I'm not sure if its necessary http://www.fabricmate.com/yachts.php
I'm thinking about spraying closed cell foam before I install the headliner. I can only get around 1 inch in most areas but it will prevent condensation and and be waterproof. I was trying to decide if it would be worth it , It sounds like it might be.
Any tips or suggestions would really be appreciated!
I
Thanks

PS. RWS, No Wood stringers! Fiberglass Headliners! I Hate you Express Guys!! LOL!!! :D
Todd Pote
1987 10 Meter Mid Cabin
Double Pote-N_Sea
RWS
Ultimate User

Post by RWS »

the sad truth is (i believe) that when they rolled out the mid cabin they killed all those innovative technical items from the original design simply due to costs.

vacuum liner in engine room and lazarette

built into hull waste and potable water tanks

electric doors

woodless stringers

engines forward for best placement/low bow rise

(consequential) smaller props @ higer gear ratio

fewer teak swim platforms

modular construction of bulkheads for strength

My opinion is that these technical features while very innovative and worthy, did not influence the actual sale of boats

the hull and the established hype and styling remained the same.

From a competitive cost cutting/sales results standpoint it would make sense to kill the more expensive production features and related costs if they do not result in increased sales.

These boats were not engineered, marketed, or "sold" with the concept that they would be continue to be used 30-40 years later. Simply not part of the plan.

Is this correct?

RWS
Last edited by RWS on Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
1983 10 Meter SOLD after 21 years of adventures
Yanmar diesels
Solid Glass Hull
Woodless Stringers
Full Hull Liner
Survived Andrew Cat 5,Eye of Charley Cat 4, & Irma Cat 2
Trojan International Website: http://trojanboat.com/

WEBSITE & SITELOCK TOTALLY SELF FUNDED
Big D
Ultimate User

Post by Big D »

Yorklyn, the product you are looking for is called a tacking strip. Do a web search for upholstery or headliner tacking strip. You'll find a lot of automotive applications pop up if you look up "headliner". Try to find the longest strips you can if buying lengths. It also comes in rolls. Don't limit yourself to metal, they are okay but there are now plastic and vinyl strips. Just don't use the cardboard or hardboard kind.
She was a 1969 36 ft wooden beauty with big blue 440s that we'll miss forever.
And thanks to the gang, 2012 Trojan Boater Of The Year
yorklyn
Active User

Post by yorklyn »

Thanks Big D,
Vinyl or plastic would seem to make more sense.
RWS,
I wanted a 10.8 sport fish or an 11 meter but the wife insisted on the 10 meter mid cabin for the kids. I'm glad we went with the 10 meter because its plenty of boat for what we use it for. I had always assumed that the express and mid cabin were the same construction with a different layout. I have been amazed with all of the differences between the two. We sleep/slept/plan to sleep again on our boat alot and I wouldnt trade all that space in the mid cabin . If we had a place on the water or had the boat closer to us and used it as a day boat , I'd be all over the express. I am a big fan of that engine room and stringer system!
The mid cabin does have a built in water tank under the salon floor (its a son of a itch to cut out!)
I would agree with your statement completly. :mrgreen:
Todd Pote
1987 10 Meter Mid Cabin
Double Pote-N_Sea
75 Tri Cabin

Post by 75 Tri Cabin »

It will stretch fine. It stretches better one way than the other. See which way you need to have it stretch. They make a product, you can get at Sailrite, it has a 360 stretch. It costs a lot more. Just plan out what you need to do carefully, and I am sure you will be fine with the standard material. We use steam on the material to get it to do what we need. You can use a heat gun but be very careful! Just don't rush it. The plastic track is definetly what you want. Do not buy material that is classified as seconds, you will have trouble with them including Sunbrella, stay with 1 st run material. Make sure you use stainless staples, not galvanized, when attaching the material to the boat.The cost of doing it right the first time is cheaper than doing it again. You will need a helper. This is why getting upholstery and canvas done costs so much. Everyone I hire, I start them out removing staples out of seats and cushions. They will in about 15 min say this is way harder and takes more time than they thought. It's like painting, it's all in your prep work.
Jack
yorklyn
Active User

Post by yorklyn »

Thanks Jack,
I think I'm just going to put it back the same way that it was. it had the metal tacking strip before but I'll use plastic this time. here's a pic of what im working with.Image
Todd Pote
1987 10 Meter Mid Cabin
Double Pote-N_Sea
Freddy

Post by Freddy »

yorklyn wrote: I'm thinking about spraying closed cell foam before I install the headliner. I can only get around 1 inch in most areas but it will prevent condensation and and be waterproof. I was trying to decide if it would be worth it , It sounds like it might be.
Any tips or suggestions would really be appreciated!
You may want to re-think the idea of using closed cell foam to prevent leaks from reaching the new headliner. It would prevent water from getting through but the water will still make it up to the spray foam. This could cause problems including freeze/thaw isssues during the winter months if it freezes where you live. Addressing all leaks before spraying would be a very good idea but any subsequent penetration may then go unnoticed. Maybe I'm just paranoid...
1976 F30 Model 303
yorklyn
Active User

Post by yorklyn »

I'm rebeding virtually everything on the boat after I paint it so I hope all the leaks will be gone. The main area of concern is the area where the windsheild bolts through. it has never leaked in this area but i do not want a leak to go unnoticed and rot coring material. If I foam it I plan on leaving bolts that I may need to access later uncoated (bow rail bolts etc). still trying to talk myself into doing the foam as it will be a PITA to do properly however it wont cost me a dime which is a plus
Todd Pote
1987 10 Meter Mid Cabin
Double Pote-N_Sea
75 Tri Cabin

Post by 75 Tri Cabin »

Yorkln, Freddy is right make sure you don't have any leaks. That spray foam will not be fun if it holds water. With just the little space you have to work with, it probably would be better to leave it alone. If the foam expands to far you have a nasty job of shaving it down to the 1 inch mark.
Jack
yorklyn
Active User

Post by yorklyn »

We sprayed the inside of our work trailer with 3lb roofing foam when we first got it (had extra from a job) it took about 1hr to spray it and two days with a 4 inch grinder to shave it back. If I do the boat I'll use 2lb closed cell and really take my time with the spraying. I need to check to be sure I can get at least 1in of foam behind the headliner. there shouldnt be any voids to collect moisture as the foam should be compleatly stuck to the substrate .
Todd Pote
1987 10 Meter Mid Cabin
Double Pote-N_Sea