MarinAir

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

Vitaliy
Moderate User

MarinAir

Post by Vitaliy »

Has anyone heard of this brand or used it?

http://www.marinaire.com/Marine_air_con ... ba16k2.htm

had my eye on this unit for a while but cant find much on reliability and what not
this is gona replace my 1974 WFA 16k split system

any thoughts?
1974 F36 Tri-Cabin "Jorallyn"
Big D
Ultimate User

Re: MarinAir

Post by Big D »

They've been around for bit. I installed two of those a couple of seasons ago and no issues so far. Real compact, and quiet. The one in the link describes a SS drip pan. I'm pretty sure the ones I installed were a thick hard plastic. I remember thinking that was a good feature given that the regular steel ones in the past would rust. Also gave you different drain locations that you simply punched out to insert your fitting. Maybe they moved to SS now, just as good I guess.
She was a 1969 36 ft wooden beauty with big blue 440s that we'll miss forever.
And thanks to the gang, 2012 Trojan Boater Of The Year
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Just don't confuse Marinair with Marine Air . I would trust Big d's word as he has had hands on with this brand . This is one brand I have not , but have heard some good things about.

Just make sure what brand you chose there is a dealer that can service/repair it under warranty near by . Not easy to send it back for repair if there is a issue . That could make the best A/C in the world worthless .

If call around on service be clear its marinair not marine-air ( get a list from the factory)
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

BTW what is wrong with your old unit ? I have a used WFA 16k I bought as a back up .
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Vitaliy
Moderate User

Post by Vitaliy »

prowlersfish wrote:BTW what is wrong with your old unit ? I have a used WFA 16k I bought as a back up .
well, the AC Unit that i have now, is loud and obnoxious, it draws more power then it should and honestly just doesnt seem like its keeping up anymore, i got it serviced last year and for a 40 year old unit its definitely holding its own but its time to retire it or just give it away to someone that needs parts. I live aboard my boat and it would also be nice to have some heat (eventhou it is revere cycle). ive attempted to find a good evaporator to replace the old setup under the stairs and in the FWD stateroom. the 16k evaporators that ive found from cruiseair are about 500 each, plus another 1700 for the compressor itself, its just easier and seems cheaper and simpler to just replace the whole thing with something more modern, unless there are other ideas?

as far as the MarinAir and MARINE AIR, im aware of the difference in brand, and i also shot an email to the manufacturer and there are several service mechanics in the Hampton roads area.
1974 F36 Tri-Cabin "Jorallyn"
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Good Deal
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Big D
Ultimate User

Post by Big D »

prowlersfish wrote:Just don't confuse Marinair with Marine Air....
++1
She was a 1969 36 ft wooden beauty with big blue 440s that we'll miss forever.
And thanks to the gang, 2012 Trojan Boater Of The Year