78 f32 factory swim platform

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

mikeandanne
Moderate User

78 f32 factory swim platform

Post by mikeandanne »

Need a little help---what is involved in removing the platform as I would like to bring it and the supports home to refinish? I am 2 hours away and would like to take the correct tools with me--- am thinking it is fairly simple just not sure of the fastener sizes and can it be done from the outside only?---Mike. Spring is here wahoo!!!
Away On Busine$$
Moderate User

Re: 78 f32 factory swim platform

Post by Away On Busine$$ »

MIke, I have a 76 F32, romoved the original teak platform last fall. Brought it home and had it planed down on a 30" planner at a furniture factory. At 1/16" per side, 1 pass bottom 3 passes top, equals 1/4". Results are real good but still had some rough spots ( hey it's 37 years old ) proceeded to sand top and bottom working my way through 60, 120 and 180 grit. Now were smooth and clean, just waiting for warmer weather for my 5 coats of finish. I removed the platform with a simple pair of plyers. I did not remove the support brackets, mine our crome and in good shape. Hope this helps.
Season is short, we make the best of it.
mikeandanne
Moderate User

Post by mikeandanne »

Thanks for the response, I was hoping it is simple,only difference seems to be the supports as mine are wood and I believe they are attached to a bracket at the transom if my memory is still ok---- see you on the water--Mike
captainmaniac
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by captainmaniac »

What platform style do you have? Is it like this?

f346964c.jpg
f346964c.jpg (47.26 KiB) Viewed 1003 times
Last edited by captainmaniac on Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mikeandanne
Moderate User

Post by mikeandanne »

Hi there---- the supports on mine look to be the same size and locations, only they are wood of some sort, maybe teak I hope. The platform is all wood from one side to the other with no metal except the rub rail around the edge, Wish I had some pics but have not had boat long enuf--- Mike
captainmaniac
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by captainmaniac »

Ok... so I think yours is more like this one then... You will have to get info from one of the other folks here (including the owner of the boat in the picture!). If it helps, on mine the supports are wood - oak I think.

mikeandanne
Moderate User

Post by mikeandanne »

You got it !!!--- that is just what it looks like, or should I say will look like , if I can get it off--- that is also very nice script on the vessel name---- good job on the pic finding, thanks -- Mike
Away On Busine$$
Moderate User

Post by Away On Busine$$ »

Mike, Mine is just as above.
Season is short, we make the best of it.
river of dreams

Post by river of dreams »

there is a nut and bolt through supports easy to remove as well as the back of the platform it is very easy to remove with minimal tools i have the same set up on my 1977 f32
1977 f32
1980 f30
mikeandanne
Moderate User

Post by mikeandanne »

Thanks guys , just the info I needed---All being well and the shrink wrap can be reset I will get it home this weekend---Mike