SALT AWAY

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

gettaway
Active User

SALT AWAY

Post by gettaway »

When we bought our boat, the new to us Silverton 37C, part of the the sea trial - mechanical survey led to new manifolds, exhaust elbows, rebuilt heat exhcangers and hoses . I have about 15 hours on the new exhausts and cooling parts so yesterday I decided to purchase and install the PERKO Flush-Pro kits on each of the engines raw water intake system. I also purchased a Salt-Away starter kit, (a quart of salt away and the water hose mixer unit) I have several friends who swear by this product and ritual to keep thier salt water engines clean and increase the lives of thier exhaust / cooling systems. if life gets in the way and I dont take the boat out for a while, I try to at least run the engines every week for at least a little while, my thought was if I run the engines while in the slip, I'd run them with fresh water in lieu of the normal raw sea water and then flush with salt way when I have actually taken the boat out or ran salt water through them.
I am curious if any of you do the same or similar or have an opinion on this?
Last edited by gettaway on Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1984 Silverton 37C
Silver Lining
Scott
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Re: SALT AWAY

Post by prowlersfish »

I think its a great idea that can ad years of life to the engines
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
Commissionpoint
Active User

Post by Commissionpoint »

Though I am not familiar with the product you mentioned you have a great idea there. I think most folks should be flushing more often than they do, espescially those in full salt. I have an open system and I boat in waters classified by the EPA as 'AA' Drinking Quality. Consequently I don't flush that often at all, mostly because I don't know how much cleaner anything I can run through there is than what goes through there normally.

Thats a funny looking Trojan in your avatar picture there Scott, not as funny looking as the one Tony has though. :mrgreen:
1978 F-32 "Eclipse"
Merc 305 SBC's
1.52:1 Borg Warners

1983 Correct Craft
Commander 351 Ford (PCM)
1:1 Borg Warner

There are 350 different varieties of shark, not counting loan or pool.
gettaway
Active User

Post by gettaway »

Thanks CP... I know not a Trojan but a TBOY for sure!
1984 Silverton 37C
Silver Lining
Scott
yorklyn
Active User

Post by yorklyn »

I used it for years on my wave runner. It is a great product. its basically a chloride rinse. It also works really well as a rinse to remove salt residue over the entire boat. Contrary to belief, salt (chlorides ) cannot be completly removed with just water. When installing most of our industrial coatings a "chloride rinse" is recommended. We have sandblasted metal holding tanks to a white metal finish and then powerwashed the entire tank with water mixed with a chloride rinse. We have zero flash rust after it dries. no chlorides=no rust
Todd Pote
1987 10 Meter Mid Cabin
Double Pote-N_Sea
1992 Scout 15.5 Center Console
gettaway
Active User

Post by gettaway »

Thanks,

I figured it can only help to flush an engine running in salt water. The engines and manifolds are closed cooling but the coolers and elbows are raw water
1984 Silverton 37C
Silver Lining
Scott
myakka

Post by myakka »

It would be easy enough, and safer, to build a flush valve out of brass. I've seen a Perco shear after the upstream barbed fitting. Luckily, it was on a volvo I/O and the line looped up above the boats waterline before descending back down to the flush valve. Another product to use for flushing salts is white vinegar.
Mike
Squall sailing dingy
18 outrage(Sold)
25 Trojan(still own, until current user finishes paying me)
Dauntless 220
gettaway
Active User

Post by gettaway »

Mike,

I hear what you are saying, with the clear plastic design I too had my reservations, however , PERKO specifically states the Flush Pro kit is for inboards, generators air conditioners , etc, all of these applications are "typically" on boats that are kept in the water. if you look into the inlet and outlet of the unit, the hose barb connections are reinforced with internal ribs running the length of the hose barb. It alos looks to be the same material as the clear piece on sea water strainers.

anyways, thanks for the input.

I replaced the exhaust elbow on the generator yesterday (Thanks Bob for the tip on making my own) I ran the genny for about a half hour running fresh water into a 5 gallon bucket with the suction line for the gen raw water pump drawing from the bucket. I then ran a rather strong sollution of Salt Away through the gen. and shut her down while good and foamy. I doubt this has ever been done to the generator by the looks of the crumbling old exhaust elbow.
1984 Silverton 37C
Silver Lining
Scott
RWS
Ultimate User

Post by RWS »

I have been quite religous about flushing my fresh water cooled diesels, genny and the HVAC raw water system after each use.

I have a garden hose quick disconnect plumbed into each raw water intake.

As the boat goes up n the lift, the engines are run at idle for 5-10 minutes on city water.

Do I need to add somnething more to this routine?

RWS
1983 10 Meter SOLD after 21 years of adventures
Yanmar diesels
Solid Glass Hull
Woodless Stringers
Full Hull Liner
Survived Andrew Cat 5,Eye of Charley Cat 4, & Irma Cat 2
Trojan International Website: http://trojanboat.com/

WEBSITE & SITELOCK TOTALLY SELF FUNDED
Big D
Ultimate User

Post by Big D »

I have dealt with several salt water boats ending up here that had Volvo sterndrive packages with the Neutra-salt water flush system. Out of those that I've service, only one pair of manifolds had to be replaced. I can't say however whether all the rest were originals and saved by this system or had been changed out already so I can't say how well the system works. As mentioned above, once crystalized, salt is not that easy to rinse off with plain water. The following link shows the system and it can be installed on inboard applications as well: http://www.marinedirect.com.au/catalogu ... 1110/c2014 or

http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=n ... xvJHdmKAVA

Can get it from Volvo and other retailers. Link is Australian but should be widely available here also.
She was a 1969 36 ft wooden beauty with big blue 440s that we'll miss forever.
And thanks to the gang, 2012 Trojan Boater Of The Year
myakka

Post by myakka »

Gettaway an I/O is an inboard engine. Only the drive system is different.
Squall sailing dingy
18 outrage(Sold)
25 Trojan(still own, until current user finishes paying me)
Dauntless 220