electrical issues HELP!!!

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

swampgal

electrical issues HELP!!!

Post by swampgal »

OK, on my 1986 10 meter express, I am in need of some advice from you gurus. 8) I have the wiring schematic since I ordered the manual... Everything that does not work all have one thing in common. they have a triangle on the end that has a D in it. there is no legend on it, so I'm not sure what that means exactly. I am just trying to make stuff functional in a safe way. The PO's left me with a lot of crazy engineering if you know what I mean. The nav lights, blowers, all toilet tank indicator lights, lower deck lights, swim platform light, and fume detectors will not come on. Some of these things I don't really need right now, but some of them are an absolute necessity. on all lights I have changed out all bulbs. It is the start of fishing season here in Mobile Alabama, and I need ALL of these things to work. Is there some terminal strip that could be corroded? do they all share a relay? that would be nice, but I don't have that kind of luck.... :roll: Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.
Commissionpoint
Active User

Re: electrical issues HELP!!!

Post by Commissionpoint »

An open triangle is an integrated circuit, though I highly doubt a microchip is the cause of your problems. Can you post a scan of the diagram in question?
1978 F-32 "Eclipse"
Merc 305 SBC's
1.52:1 Borg Warners

1983 Correct Craft
Commander 351 Ford (PCM)
1:1 Borg Warner

There are 350 different varieties of shark, not counting loan or pool.
swampgal

Post by swampgal »

I haven't seen a single microchip on this boat yet, and since it is mid80's, there probably aren't many if any. It is a pretty basic AC/DC system. Sorry that I don't have a scanner or any way to post the schematic. All roads lead to a triangle with an upper case D in it. There are A B C and D triangles. Many things that also connect to the D triangle do work well. -DB in Mobile
BarryL
Sporadic User

Post by BarryL »

You might try and determine if you have all of your master DC switches on and if you have your batteries connected correctly. I have a 1990 10 Meter Mid Cabin and one battery feeds half of the DC load and the other battery picks up the other half the split is not even based on number of items but closer to an even split based on expected load and then of course there is the third battery for miscellaneous stuff and then the Generator battery.

It might be worth your while to go out and by an inexpensive volt meter rather than throwing more light bulbs and time into what could end up being a simple problem

Good Luck.

Barry
I love my boat! It takes all of my money and doesn't bitch.
LandVF36
Moderate User

Post by LandVF36 »

Are there other triangles with "D" on other pages? Often, in wiring diagrams, they use this this type of symbol at the edge of a page to indicate that the wire continues on another page. Could this be it?

Basic advice is to start at the battery(s) and follow the circuit back to where the load is (light, fan, detector, etc). All you need is a simple test light or a meter from the + cable to ground and then keep going away from the battery towards the device that is not working.
Current Fleet:
2000 Carver 450 Voyager
1991 Thompson 21' Carerra Cuddy
1994 Scout 15'
2005 Caribe LCX9 dingy
1981 16' Hobicat
Former Owner - 1973 Trojan F-36 "Light and Variable"
RWS
Ultimate User

Post by RWS »

you will need a voltmeter

and a test light

start with the basics

you also might have a common ground problem

remember all those "seitches" in the master panel are not toggle switches - THEY ARE CIRCUIT BREAKERS

unless the PO replaced one or more with toggle switches.

RWS
1983 10 Meter SOLD after 21 years of adventures
Yanmar diesels
Solid Glass Hull
Woodless Stringers
Full Hull Liner
Survived Andrew Cat 5,Eye of Charley Cat 4, & Irma Cat 2
Trojan International Website: http://trojanboat.com/

WEBSITE & SITELOCK TOTALLY SELF FUNDED
P-Dogg
Active User
Location: Near Baltimorgue, Murderland, where they prove every day that gun control doesn't work.

Post by P-Dogg »

by LandVF36 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:58 pm

Are there other triangles with "D" on other pages? Often, in wiring diagrams, they use this this type of symbol at the edge of a page to indicate that the wire continues on another page. Could this be it?
This probably is it. On my 1985 tricabin, open triangles with inscribed letters are as follows: A leads to helm station schematic ( nav lights, bilge pump indicator lights, etc), B is 12 volt house system schematic, C is AC electrical, D is -- sorry, no D on my diagram!! Regardless, this might help steer you in the right direction. Good luck. I wish I could invent goggles that would let you see electricity.
I needed a less expensive hobby, so I bought a boat!
yorklyn
Active User

Post by yorklyn »

Sorry for the delayed response but I just saw this post. on the 10 meter mid cabin the triangles are labled with A,B,C and D. D means the wire goes to the DC terminal block. A goes to the instrument panel, B goes to DC breaker locker and C goes to the AC breaker locker. Knowing were the wire terminates makes it must easier to troble shoot things.
Todd Pote
1987 10 Meter Mid Cabin
Double Pote-N_Sea
1992 Scout 15.5 Center Console
reelfishin
Moderate User

Post by reelfishin »

Since so many things are not working I would check the main breaker for the DC panel. Use a meter and check for 12 volts incoming to the breaker. Then check for voltage on the out going side. Make sure you have a good ground point for the negative lead of the meter you will use. If power is there then go to the nav lights and do the same thing on the breaker for it. I would suspect that you will either find the no power at the main breaker, bad breakers or you have a ground problem.
Fishing Chesapeake Bay and Off Shore Virginia.
1988 11 meter Trojan International 450 HP 671TI Detroit Diesels