rough seas for a 10 meter

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

srokag44
Sporadic User

rough seas for a 10 meter

Post by srokag44 »

To those of you with lots of experience on your 10 meter, what would you consider to be too rough of seas for the boat? Would this forecast keep you from heading offshore? http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/data/Forecasts ... .KMLB.html
1985 Trojan 10 Meter International Sedan
todd brinkerhoff
Moderate User

Re: rough seas for a 10 meter

Post by todd brinkerhoff »

The important factor in determining sea conditions is your interval level compared to your sea heighth. The closer those two get together the more uncomfortable the ride. The Internationals will be fine in 5 to 6 foot seas, but with a 5 second interval, will be a bit uncomfortable for passengers. The great lakes are notorious for short interval seas, and we have many 10 Meters that are charter fishing boats. Many of those boats have been out in 6 to 10 footers with very short interval seas. Its not overly enjoyable, but is very doable.
1991 Trojan International 10.8 Meter Express hull# 003 - 454 Crusaders
1961 Century Raven 22 - Gray Marine 327

http://s1086.photobucket.com/home/Todd_ ... hoff/index
srokag44
Sporadic User

Post by srokag44 »

I'm not too worried about ride comfort... just safety. I've got a couple buddies in town this weekend that are eager to fish. We are in our 20's so we can take a beating.
todd brinkerhoff
Moderate User

Post by todd brinkerhoff »

To say you that guys would be safe would definitely be a difficult thing for anyone to say. It greatly depends on the condition of your Trojan, both structural and mechanical, the experience of the Captain, with both operating in rough conditions and reading weather. 6 to 7's can easily turn into 10 to 12's, so watching the weather and your radar is extremely important. I can say that a Trojan International in good running condition with a good captain can operate safely in some rougher weather. Also, comfort does not have much to do with age. I've had plenty of 20 year olds yacking over the sides in moderately rough conditions. No matter how well you do in rough weather, if your dealing with sick people, it sucks.

Good luck and be safe.
1991 Trojan International 10.8 Meter Express hull# 003 - 454 Crusaders
1961 Century Raven 22 - Gray Marine 327

http://s1086.photobucket.com/home/Todd_ ... hoff/index
srokag44
Sporadic User

Post by srokag44 »

Thanks... I think we will head out and if it's too nasty we will just turn around and head in. I will pay attention to weather and radar to make sure we don't get caught out there. I suppose there is really only one way to get experience in rough seas.
gardnersf
Moderate User

Post by gardnersf »

I will second the response regarding rough seas. The hull is very a very stable platform, but there are a lot of variables. File a float plan with someone that will alert authorities if you cannot be reached and do not return on time, Make sure you have redundant radios. bring extra fuel fuilters, rough seas will stir up the tank and crud will get into your filters and hopefully stop there. That said, it's no fun changing a fuel filter in 6-7 foot seas. I don't know how far you go out, but I would stay as close to shore as the fish can be found. Also, depending on the wind direction adn how much fetch yuo have will determine the sea conditions.

I've had my boat out in 8-10 foot seas but it was for a short time to make a transit. 30 knot winds and 50 degree water are no fun.
RWS
Ultimate User

Post by RWS »

Not to be too nosy, but are you trying to win a DARWIN AWARD ?

How will you possibly tie a knot on a hook in 6' seas?

What will you do if that forecast is off by 30 - 40% ?

A smart move would be to write your social security number on your forearm.

Seriously, you only draft 2.5 feet.

Why not take your buddies in the ICW, catch some smaller fish, have a great time and live to tell about it.

RWS
1983 10 Meter SOLD after 21 years of adventures
Yanmar diesels
Solid Glass Hull
Woodless Stringers
Full Hull Liner
Survived Andrew Cat 5,Eye of Charley Cat 4, & Irma Cat 2
Trojan International Website: http://trojanboat.com/

WEBSITE & SITELOCK TOTALLY SELF FUNDED
tsawyer
Sporadic User

Post by tsawyer »

I took my 25 Mako from Ft Lauderdale to Bimini some years ago in 5-7 with a couple of college friends who had come to town for the trip. We made the trip because nobody wanted to cancel it, we were young and bulletproof.

I will not be so stupid again. We made it over and back, but damn it was an extremely dicey situation. I can definitely say we were lucky we didn't have any mechanical issues or we would have been screwed. We stopped briefly to secure the bimini top ( when it tore in half ) and waves were breaking in the boat and could have swamped us.

What I learned was that any boat that I may own is obviously going to be very small in relation to the size and power of the ocean.

If you want to go out, just makes sure you feel comfortable and confident with the conditions before you go to far.

Better safe than sorry. You can have a lot of fun on the inside.
Tom Sawyer
Rum Floater
1988 10 Meter Mid Cabin
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
goros

Post by goros »

If I may give my opinion as an owner of F32:
. Good sailor is one who knows to stay in port. 5 feet can become 10 or at 2. If you doubt do not go out and if you ask here is that doubt. If you decide to leave thick preparing two 20 meter ropes to overturn fin fin port and starboard. Stowage well inside. Notifies course and destination ports. If you're looking for fun choose another day.

Good luck and enjoy
goros
Trojan F32 321 8853
España