10 meter forward hatch gasket replacement ?

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

yorklyn
Active User

10 meter forward hatch gasket replacement ?

Post by yorklyn »

Has anyone replace the rubber gasket on the front stateroom hatch on a 10 meter mid cabin? if so where did you get the replacement gasket? Beacon does not have it listed. I'm afraid to remove it until I know I can replace it and get a proper seal. it almost looks like it goes into a groove that recessed into the deck but I'm mot sure?
on a side note, has anyone found a replacement hatch that is a direct fit ? I looked around for a while and couldnt find a direct replacement and I really dont feel like cutting a bigger hole.
Thanks
Todd Pote
1987 10 Meter Mid Cabin
Double Pote-N_Sea
1992 Scout 15.5 Center Console
cmcmjk

Re: 10 meter forward hatch gasket replacement ?

Post by cmcmjk »

Beacon has it:

https://www.trojanboats.net/zencart/ind ... e2ba7678e2

For what it's worth here is what I used. I'ts called EPDM rubber weatherstrip. I think I used "M" profile. Clean the groove in the deck with solvent and "fit" the self adhesive weatherstrip into the groove. Take your time because you are trying to get good contact in the groove. Next I put another seal around the lexan hatch itself. This gives a rubber on rubber seal and has worked very well so far this season. The best thing is it was less than $10 and it's available in white. It's also nice to not have a water logged Tempurpedic mattress to deal with!

If I have to do it again I'll reinstall the original rubber with 3M weatherstrip adhesive and use the EPDM on the lexan hatch again.
Mike & Cynthia
1990 10 Meter Mid-Cabin
Traverse City, MI
yorklyn
Active User

Post by yorklyn »

Thanks mike,
I saw that on beacons site but it looks diffrent from mine. Probably because mine is origional and years of being compressed has flattened it quite a bit. I'm familiar with the epdm rubber one too. Nice to know its working for you. Ive been afraid to remove it and get a better look at it. sounds like an easy fix.
Thanks
Todd Pote
1987 10 Meter Mid Cabin
Double Pote-N_Sea
pjdaddo

Post by pjdaddo »

mine was shot probably original I was going to order from Beacon but @ 11.85 a foot I looked around and found West Marine had a perfect match and it was only $34.00 not $95 ,I followed the directions that came with it ,remove old and use a good solvent to clean the grove 100% and dry fit before you peal the tape off then when its in place use super glue on both ends( not much you don't want it dripping on anything) and hold then tight together to set the bond mine works great no leaks I actually had to bend my stainless locks open a bit to get them to lock,I'm sure over the years they were adjusted as needed to stop leaks,hope this helps,good luck
yorklyn
Active User

Post by yorklyn »

Bobct from the site called and told me the same about west marine. Sounds like a plan since west marine is about 3 miles from my shop. Thanks !
Todd Pote
1987 10 Meter Mid Cabin
Double Pote-N_Sea
srokag44
Sporadic User

Post by srokag44 »

I used McMaster p/n 93085K12 to successfully fix my hatch seal. 10 feet of this will be much cheaper than anything from West Marine. It has lasted almost a year and hasn't leaked yet.

http://www.mcmaster.com
1985 Trojan 10 Meter International Sedan
yorklyn
Active User

Post by yorklyn »

LOL, I ordered the p/n 93085K16 from mcmaster carr a few minutes before the "west marine " post last nite. for the price I figured it was worth a try. glad to hear yours worked.
Todd Pote
1987 10 Meter Mid Cabin
Double Pote-N_Sea
tcollins2
2024 Forum Support
2024 Forum Support

Post by tcollins2 »

Hi Todd,
Thanks for the link to the McMaster site. Quite a bit of stuff they have. I called Bomar/Pompanette for the spec on the correct gasket to use on the 190 Series hatches. I have the 193 in the 12M stateroom and then smaller versions mid cabin. They say to use the 9/16 inch gasket. Their part number is P100-52. Some part numbers have an extra 5 on the end and that is the length of the gasket. How did the McMaster 93085K16 work since 2013?
1990 Trojan 12M International Express Detroit Diesels 6-71T's, 425HP
Flyboy
Sporadic User

Post by Flyboy »

Replaced the seal on both of my hatches with seal from Beacon. You are right about it looking different than what is there due to years of compression and decay. The hardest part of the whole job is getting the old seal and glue out of the channel. To make the job easier, I removed my hatches to remove and install the new seal.
Have fun.
1981 10 meter Trojan International