36 Trojan Overheating problem

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

dmatz

36 Trojan Overheating problem

Post by dmatz »

I have just replaced the heads,water pump and all new exhaust manifolds,risers and hoses. I replaced the old log style manifolds with the newer center feed style. These are suppose to be more efficient. The difference between them is the old log style had 6 hoses and the new ones have 4. 2 going to the risers and 2 going to the bottom center of the manifold and you block off the other 2. When I start the engine it pegs the water temp. guage at 240 in about a minute. Here is what I have done so far. I removed the 1 1/4 inlet hose from the sea pump and started the engine. It pumped water like a fire hose. I opened the pet cocks on the block and a steady stream of water came out. I tried reversing the hoses. The only difference is that 2 hoses are before the thermostat and 2 are after. It made no difference. There is ample water flow out the exhaust. I also tried changing sending unit and swaping guages. No difference. The new manifold are very cool only about 113 degrees. The other engine with log style manifolds is between 150-160 degrees. It seems as though the water is taking the path of least resistance and going out the exhaust. I tried using vise grips and restricting the flow of water on 2 hoses at a time. Still nothing. I have exhausted all ideas. Anyone have any suggestions??
Dave Matz
chucka
Sporadic User

Post by chucka »

More details are needed to figure out whats happening. What kind of engine? Open or closed loop cooling? Do you have a diagram, original vs. current plumbing?

Who supplied the new manifolds? Can they provide any application help?

There is a good group of people, more knowledgeable than me at http://www.marineengine.com/cgi-bin/discus/discus.cgi

Try posting more details there and I'm sure you will get some good suggestions.
formerly
Lots A Luck
Trojan F-26 Express
Narragansett Bay, RI