Buck Algonquin Stuffing Box Wrenches

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

The Dog House
Active User

Buck Algonquin Stuffing Box Wrenches

Post by The Dog House »

I purchased two Buck Algonquin stuffing box wrenches for my 1971 F26 (1 inch shaft). I purchased Item # 3bpbw100 which the Buck Algonquin website indicates is for a 1 inch or 1 1/8 inch shaft and has a 2 inch opening. Both wrenches that I received had a 1 61/64 inch opening and did not fit the packing nut or locking nut. I spent several hours filing the wrenches to get the opening to 2 inches. The wrenches now fit the nuts, but no longer have the protective zinc coating where I filed the opening. I thought anyone thinking about buying stuffing box wrenches should know about my experience.
1993 Sea Ray 200 Overnighter OB with 1993 Mercury 150 hp Outboard
1979 Starcraft 14' Rowboat with 2011 Mercury 9.9 hp Outboard
Former boat: 1971 Trojan F26
The Dog House
Active User

Re: Buck Algonquin Stuffing Box Wrenches

Post by The Dog House »

I emailed Buck Algonquin about the stuffing box wrenches I received not fitting the packing nut or locking nut. I received a very unsatisfying response saying that sometimes the mold shifts and I could send them back for replacement if I want. They did not offer to pay for shipping and since these two wrenches are very heavy I'm sure the shipping cost would be high. Since I already modified the wrenches I have to fit I'm not going to send them back and pay the shipping. Buck Algonquin did not seem very concerned that their $30 wrenches did not fit the nuts of their stuffing box. It almost seemed like this was a common occurrence.
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Who did you buy them thru ? I bought a set of buck Algonuin rudders thru Deepblue yacht supply and had a issue with 1 and they (Buck) sent a new one out right away and long with a return shipping label . 1 call to Deepblue and they call Buck and it was done . I thought it was handled well .
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
The Dog House
Active User

Post by The Dog House »

prowlersfish wrote:Who did you buy them thru ? I bought a set of buck Algonuin rudders thru Deepblue yacht supply and had a issue with 1 and they (Buck) sent a new one out right away and long with a return shipping label . 1 call to Deepblue and they call Buck and it was done . I thought it was handled well .
I bought them through Deepblue Yacht Supply. I did not contact Deepblue, I contacted Buck Algonquin directly since Buck Algonquin was the company that needed to know that the product they were selling was out of specification. If I wanted to push the issue, I could contact Deepblue but I really don't see the point. I personally feel that Buck Algonquin should have offered to pay for the shipping. I shouldn't have to fight for it or have Deepblue fight for it. A good company would have been concerned that their product did not meet the specifications listed on their spec. sheet. Buck Algonquin did not seem concerned.
alexander38
Ultimate User

Post by alexander38 »

Dog House, I think what you ran into is the we don't deal with the public attitude of a lot of dealers. I bet if you'd gone to the store front you bought them from you'd gotten news like Paul. I run into that attitude alot when I buy truck parts direct ..
Carver 3607 ACMY 454's Merc's
10' Dinghy 6hp Merc.
La Dolce Vita
Let's hit the water !

http://s852.beta.photobucket.com/user/t ... 8/library/