bottom paint questions

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

LandVF36
Moderate User

Post by LandVF36 »

Scrap, sand, sand, sand, sand, and on and on and on. Be careful not to use too aggressive grit, when the white gelcoat starts to show, slow down. The gelcoat layer is very thin and you don't want to get into the glass.

I've had good luck with Interlux products. The more you can spend, the happier you will be. I've used the "wear-away" products, they generally need to be touched up if annually (at least here in MN). The other thing about the less expensive coatings is that if you pull your boat for winter storage as we do here, the softer "wear-away" paints crack when they dry and get very chauky. If you don't recoat in the spring, it basically falls off when you drop you boat back in.

Check for primer requirements with the more expensive paints. Follow the directions. Again, the cost up front is hard on the pocket book, but its your Trojan, and its only money :)
Current Fleet:
2000 Carver 450 Voyager
1991 Thompson 21' Carerra Cuddy
1994 Scout 15'
2005 Caribe LCX9 dingy
1981 16' Hobicat
Former Owner - 1973 Trojan F-36 "Light and Variable"
Apple

Post by Apple »

I am not familiar with fresh water boating, however, I do keep my 10 Meter in all year. Located on Nabbs Creek, the water is brackish and what works for me is Petit Trinidad. Although pricey, it affords me 3 seasons between bottoms. Even after the 3rd season, the bottom was basically spotless when it was pulled. I thought about putting it back, but decided to paint it anyway. I'm not trying to pump up the product, I'm just giving my opinion. When I purchased the boat in '96, the broker's yard applied Fiberglass Bottomkote. In '97, I pulled it and had the bottom blasted to remove prior coats of paint and to check for blisters. Applied Woolsey barrier coat, then 2 coats of black Petit Trinidad. '00...'03...'06... Pulled the boat( again, a near spotless bottom ), sanded the bottom, re-applied 2 coats of Trinidad. One year I was fortunate enough to find 4 cans on the local marine store's closeout shelf. The store-keep said that no one wanted the cans because they had a little rust on the tops from dampness and the copper had settled...50 bucks a gallon...what a deal. Unfortunately it's @ $200 a gallon now. But, how often do you want to pull it, sand it, and paint it? Every 3 works for me.
Steve L.
"Pauper's Paradise"
on Nabbs Creek