Perko switch

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

tom t

Perko switch

Post by tom t »

I'm wondering if anybody knows how to really use a Perko switch I know it separates the two batteries but can I start my boat on the all positions. or is that 24 volts .
gitchisum
Moderate User

Re: Perko switch

Post by gitchisum »

Providing it was installed properly and you run on a 12 volt system, then the all position is 12 volts.

The switch links two batteries in parallel and would draw and charge both when in the ALL position.

When you position on 1 or 2 then that battery is isolated for use/charge.
88 321 Sedan 270 crusaders
2001 Seadoo Challenger 2000
97 Lowe Roughneck 17TC
1948 Alumacraft K14, Evinrude twin 6hp " Still kickin"
Redfin

Re: Perko switch

Post by Redfin »

gitchisum wrote:Providing it was installed properly and you run on a 12 volt system, then the all position is 12 volts.

The switch links two batteries in parallel and would draw and charge both when in the ALL position.

When you position on 1 or 2 then that battery is isolated for use/charge.
Absolutely, in parallel you're fine - meaning both batteries are properly hooked up to the switch, not daisy-chained (which would defeat the purpose of the switch). I use the Perko switch, and I find it most handy when I'm docked or anchored out somewhere and want to run the fridge/other electronics on just one battery, saving and isolating the other so I can get started again. Also, isolating a battery can allow you to leave your sonar on over night if you have a drift alarm setup and you can "rest" assured you'll have a fresh battery in the morning - long as your not hooking equipment up straight off that battery.
Sincerely,

Redfin

1978 Trojan F-26 HT Exp
1978 Sea Ray SRV 240 HT
1981 Whaler 18 O/R
1967 O'Day Seven-Eleven