Have you chartered your boat?

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

Redfin

Have you chartered your boat?

Post by Redfin »

Just wanted to see how many of you out there have placed your boat in charter, and why your experiences were. I'm not talking about chartering it yourself, but having a charter captain, etc. I took mine out of charter because I've had some bad experiences with having other captains in my boat. Examples would be improper mooring, handling and equipment stowage. The Redfin has acquired a couple nice dings in the gelcoat, and one captain backed over a sunken sea wall on a rescue mission during a storm (trying to be a hero I suppose). What experiences have you had? I've taken my boat out of charter since.
Sincerely,

Redfin

1978 Trojan F-26 HT Exp
1978 Sea Ray SRV 240 HT
1981 Whaler 18 O/R
1967 O'Day Seven-Eleven
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Re: Have you chartered your boat?

Post by prowlersfish »

Not to any great extent with my own boats . But have been involved with several boats that were in charter use with a hired captains and with owner/operators ( 38-47 ft ) . The ones that owned and operated there own were taken care of and not abused . The ones that had hired captain were in many cases run very hard and seemed to have more problems . No big deal to them if the take out a 12v71 after all the 30-40 grand to overhaul is not coming out of there pocket . But there are some captains that treat them like a baby as if the owner them .

IMO the biggest issue is with some of the people that charter the boats . They think because they paid , they have a right to do whatever they what to the boat and the gear , slam weights against the hull , step on a custom rod and reel or let it go over the side . Get a bunch of drunks and what a mess insides . Non boaters are the worst . Boat owners that pay for a charter tend to be much better and in many cases keep the rest of the group in line .
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
Stripermann2
Ultimate User

Post by Stripermann2 »

As Paul will tell you, one of the worst things with any vehicle, car or boat...is when more than one person operates it. Everyone has their own driving habits, good, bad fair, fast, slow, jack rabbit starts, hard stops, etc. And the person who isn't paying the maintenance and repair bills doesn't give a $hit.

The only other person driving our boat will be the next owner! :mrgreen:
Jamie

1985 F-32 270 Crusaders
1988 Sea Ray 23 350 Merc.
Trojan. Enjoy the ride...

-I don't wanna hear anyone whine...Anymore!
-You might get there before me, but you still have to wait for me, for the fun to start!
Paul
Active User

Post by Paul »

Stripermann2 wrote: The only other person driving our boat will be the next owner! :mrgreen:
+1
Paul
"Cruise Control" 1978 F-26HT
"No Control" 2012 9' Grand RIB
Redfin

Post by Redfin »

Stripermann2 wrote:The only other person driving our boat will be the next owner! :mrgreen:
Agreed, +2

Thanks for the feedback, I agree with what you guys are saying based off my experiences. We have other boats specifically to charter w/ dedicated captains on each.
Sincerely,

Redfin

1978 Trojan F-26 HT Exp
1978 Sea Ray SRV 240 HT
1981 Whaler 18 O/R
1967 O'Day Seven-Eleven