Advice on buying 1980 F-30 fixer upper?

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

LawrenceG

Advice on buying 1980 F-30 fixer upper?

Post by LawrenceG »

Hello my name is Lawrence, I am new to the forum and I am buying my first boat. I'm not entirely new to boating though -- I hail from the land of 10,000 lakes (and many more boats), ! grew up on a farm, I spent 6 years in the Navy, I spent 2 seasons on a 58-ft salmon purse-siener in Alaska (it was like "Deadliest Catch", but with less whining), and generally I can fix anything (given enough time).

I have found a "1980 30 ft Trojan" for sale, cheap, which obviously needs some work. I have researched a lot about this make of boat and I really like it. I am viewing it this weekend for the first time, so I don't know any more about it's condition than the seller disclosed in his advertisement. I plan to hire a pre-purchase inspector/surveyor to help me assess the boat before I buy. From my research, the pictures look to me like it's a 1980 F-30 Flybridge Sedan. I really like the Sedan Trojan, especially I like the 32 foot model which has a dinette on the lower starboard level. From what I have found, the F-30 Sedan does NOT have the starboard dinette. Is it true I must get a F-32 for this starboard dinette?

I love the Trojan F-32 design which seems to have a bigger, more-spacious interior and salon area than even most more-modern boats. Generally I like the look, lines, interior spaciousness, and versatility of the design. I want a cruiser, have family of 4, wish to fish some, and have a weekend/getaway boat, under 32-34 feet max. (I have 36 ft of canal waterfront in Miami).

I know the general price for such a boat that's in excellent condition (from boattrader, yachtworld, craigslist, etc: anywhere from $12k to $20k+). I cannot quite afford that, but I could afford less for a fixer-upper. The question I must answer is "How much to make this one sea-worthy and safe right away?" I will spend years upgrading it of course. This one is not in excellent condition -- at a minimum, it needs the following:
- Engine repair, possible major rebuilds (both: one turns, won't start - the other unknown/possibly seized up)
- Hull paint job
- Possible top-side / full paint job
- Interior / salon re-upholstery / carpeting repair/replace
- New water pumps (not sure which)
- Probably other things, as this boat has obviously not been to sea in a while

I don't have much information yet, so I don't have many specific questions yet. I know this boat will take a lot of work and money to achieve excellent condition. I have plenty of "boat-buying checklists" and like I said I plan to have a surveyor/inspector assist me. I have read (on this site) that "soft deck cores" is something to watch for with the Trojan brand.

So I just wanted to say hi, and if you have any general advice, that would be nice. Like I said, I don't have many specifics just yet. If anyone can point me to any war stories or experience in restoring a Trojan, that would be nice. If I do this, I will need parts! In general I am thinking I can get this boat for about $4k, then spend about the same to initially get it sea-worthy.

About how much should I expect to pay for consultant's "pre-purchase" inspection? I am currently interviewing folks who advertise this service in my area.

Thanks for this informative forum, and to all who participate.

Call me crazy, or call me
LawrenceG
BlueBelle

Re: Advice on buying 1980 F-30 fixer upper?

Post by BlueBelle »

Welcome and best of luck with the inspections. I purchased my rig in Miami a few years ago and brought it north. Plenty of F series wisdom on the site. Welcome!
1986 Trojan 11M w/ twin JT671TI
gitchisum
Moderate User

Post by gitchisum »

Lawrence,

welcome to the forum!! I can tell you that there is an incredible wealth of information and you will not meet a finer bunch of people anywhere.

I assume you are looking at the F-30 up in Duluth. You and I are from the same neck of the woods. I purchased an F-26 this year and used a certified surveyor for a pre purchase. You are looking at about $16 /ft +/- for this service. Best money you will ever spend!

I can tell you this, it will be cheaper to find the model you want, in top running order, than to buy a fixer upper and restore it. However for me, I enjoy working on them as much as I enjoy using them.

Good luck, and feel free to pm me if I can share any resources
88 321 Sedan 270 crusaders
2001 Seadoo Challenger 2000
97 Lowe Roughneck 17TC
1948 Alumacraft K14, Evinrude twin 6hp " Still kickin"
aaronbocknek
Ultimate User
Location: baltimore, md (alexandria, va and middle river,md) PARKSIDE MARINA

Post by aaronbocknek »

lawrence, welcome to the forum. a great bunch of folks and an amazing knowledge base here. from what i read, it sounds as if the f-32 would be more what you are looking for. the dinette is standard on that boat, and, i assume that is one of your 'must haves'. the f-30 sedan does not have a designated 'dining' area. is the one you are looking at similar to this one? if so, then no to the dinette. it is a nice looking boat though, and should i downsize from the tri cabin, this is the one i would choose only because i like the layout. a family of 4 would fit well on the f-32 w/ out feeling over crowded too.
http://www.boattrader.com/listing/1980- ... -102055711

as for getting it surveyed, that is a must do. you need to know what you are getting into before you buy. and i agree that it's best to get one that is in decent working order as the 'fixer upper' part can be long and involved. having said that, many folks buy a basic fixer upper, strip it back to it's basic components and renew and refresh them. then, and only then, will you get the custom boat you have always wanted. hope this helps. please, keep us posted, and, of course, we LOVE pics!!
1982 F-36 TRI CABIN ENTERPRISE
PARKSIDE MARINA IN MIDDLE RIVER, MD
aaronbocknek@gmail.com
MTurvey

Post by MTurvey »

We bought a 1980 F-30 flybridge sedan a few years ago. She needed all kinds of work, but we got her for (what we thought) was a bargain. We have easily spent the purchase price of the boat in repairs, parts.....misc....it never ends.
Melissa

Trojan F-30 " The Shadow"
AnotherBeautifulDay

Post by AnotherBeautifulDay »

Hi Lawrence,
This sounds like something a friend of mine just went to look at... what was the name on her?

Thanks,
Rainie
LawrenceG wrote:Hello my name is Lawrence, I am new to the forum and I am buying my first boat. I'm not entirely new to boating though -- I hail from the land of 10,000 lakes (and many more boats), ! grew up on a farm, I spent 6 years in the Navy, I spent 2 seasons on a 58-ft salmon purse-siener in Alaska (it was like "Deadliest Catch", but with less whining), and generally I can fix anything (given enough time).

I have found a "1980 30 ft Trojan" for sale, cheap, which obviously needs some work. I have researched a lot about this make of boat and I really like it. I am viewing it this weekend for the first time, so I don't know any more about it's condition than the seller disclosed in his advertisement. I plan to hire a pre-purchase inspector/surveyor to help me assess the boat before I buy. From my research, the pictures look to me like it's a 1980 F-30 Flybridge Sedan. I really like the Sedan Trojan, especially I like the 32 foot model which has a dinette on the lower starboard level. From what I have found, the F-30 Sedan does NOT have the starboard dinette. Is it true I must get a F-32 for this starboard dinette?

I love the Trojan F-32 design which seems to have a bigger, more-spacious interior and salon area than even most more-modern boats. Generally I like the look, lines, interior spaciousness, and versatility of the design. I want a cruiser, have family of 4, wish to fish some, and have a weekend/getaway boat, under 32-34 feet max. (I have 36 ft of canal waterfront in Miami).

I know the general price for such a boat that's in excellent condition (from boattrader, yachtworld, craigslist, etc: anywhere from $12k to $20k+). I cannot quite afford that, but I could afford less for a fixer-upper. The question I must answer is "How much to make this one sea-worthy and safe right away?" I will spend years upgrading it of course. This one is not in excellent condition -- at a minimum, it needs the following:
- Engine repair, possible major rebuilds (both: one turns, won't start - the other unknown/possibly seized up)
- Hull paint job
- Possible top-side / full paint job
- Interior / salon re-upholstery / carpeting repair/replace
- New water pumps (not sure which)
- Probably other things, as this boat has obviously not been to sea in a while

I don't have much information yet, so I don't have many specific questions yet. I know this boat will take a lot of work and money to achieve excellent condition. I have plenty of "boat-buying checklists" and like I said I plan to have a surveyor/inspector assist me. I have read (on this site) that "soft deck cores" is something to watch for with the Trojan brand.

So I just wanted to say hi, and if you have any general advice, that would be nice. Like I said, I don't have many specifics just yet. If anyone can point me to any war stories or experience in restoring a Trojan, that would be nice. If I do this, I will need parts! In general I am thinking I can get this boat for about $4k, then spend about the same to initially get it sea-worthy.

About how much should I expect to pay for consultant's "pre-purchase" inspection? I am currently interviewing folks who advertise this service in my area.

Thanks for this informative forum, and to all who participate.

Call me crazy, or call me
LawrenceG
RWS
Ultimate User

Post by RWS »

We could be of more help if you could provide your budget for:

initial purchase

annual maintenance

annual operating expense budget

annual insurance budget

These numbers are important and deserve significant consideration.

You are looking at a 30 year old boat and need to separate dreams from reality before making a purchase based on emotions, not facts.

Having the hands on approach is a requirement for boating in this vintage, but more analysis is required if you don't want to become one of those boaters who throws in the towel after 14 months of heartache.

RWS
1983 10 Meter SOLD after 21 years of adventures
Yanmar diesels
Solid Glass Hull
Woodless Stringers
Full Hull Liner
Survived Andrew Cat 5,Eye of Charley Cat 4, & Irma Cat 2
Trojan International Website: http://trojanboat.com/

WEBSITE & SITELOCK TOTALLY SELF FUNDED
summer storm
Moderate User

Post by summer storm »

RWS is right, A lot of people can't separate dreams from reality and look at a old boat and see themselves behind the wheel and bouncing off of waves. Down here in Florida I would say 80% of the project boats never hit the water. years go by, money gets spent, and the owner ends up selling the boat for peanuts, his wallet much lighter. I dream a lot too when I see a old classic boat sitting somewhere cheap, but I snap out of it pretty quickly when I start adding up what it needs.

Think about this, buy a old boat for 5K, spend 10K more, work your ass off, and take 2-3 years to make it seaworthy.

OR- Put the 5K in a Boat "account' and save the 10K over the next 2-3 years and when you have the money, go buy a decent boat and go boating.

If you like working on stuff, trust me the decent boat will still need plenty of work, but at least you can use it.

Of course the cheapest way to go boating is to find a friend that owns one.
Doug

1977 F-32
1982 Chris Craft 280
1992 Boston Whaler 13 Super Sport Limited
1974 F-25 (Sold)
1979 F-26 (sold)