will these fit

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

marklo154
Sporadic User

will these fit

Post by marklo154 »

Wondering if anyone knows if these engines will fit in my trojan tri cabin. I currently have twin crusaders 350 ?

http://windsor.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicle ... Z517588153
1978 Trojan F36 Tri Cabin
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Re: will these fit

Post by prowlersfish »

Short answer is yes . But why would you want to go with older less powerful engines , that due to the manifolds weight more ?(

Are your engines mid ship or in the back (v-drives) I belive 78 was the switch over year

I assuming your 350s are small block Chevy's not the 350hp 454 big blocks
I would stay with your current trans and not use the paragons on these ( you may have to swap bell housings )

IF they are 454 ci then ignore the comments below

The 307 is basically the same block as the small block 350 so all the parts off a 350 will bolt on . Like your engine mounts and brackets .

I would stay with your current trans and not use the paragons on these ( you may have to swap bell housings )

The only issue I would see in fitting these maybe the manifolds due to highth but I believe you have room . These manifolds weight a ton and the ones off your 350 will fit ( some hose rerouteing maybe needed .
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
myakka

Post by myakka »

If I remember correctly the 305 and 350 where the performance engines while the 307 was for fuel economy.
Squall sailing dingy
18 outrage(Sold)
25 Trojan(still own, until current user finishes paying me)
Dauntless 220
marklo154
Sporadic User

Post by marklo154 »

Yes I have the 350 small blocks, One of my motors is no good and I have had no luck this whole season finding anyone that is willing to work on them or take it out, so I figure with these 2 being out already I could have them rebuilt over the winter and installed over the winter then I`m good to go for next season.
1978 Trojan F36 Tri Cabin
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Do you really want to putt that much $$ in to 46 year old raw water cooled engines ? And being 10 years older then your boat it could hurt resale .

That being said I don't know what the market on engines in Canada is , and the could be the best running engines around
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
Big D
Ultimate User

Post by Big D »

marklo154 wrote:Yes I have the 350 small blocks, One of my motors is no good and I have had no luck this whole season finding anyone that is willing to work on them or take it out, so I figure with these 2 being out already I could have them rebuilt over the winter and installed over the winter then I`m good to go for next season.
What's wrong with the "no good" one?
So if no one is willing to pull them out, won't you have that same problem when you get another set of engines? Who'll remove, install and set up?
Why is no one willing to work on them, no mechanics your way? Are you in a marina, and will they let outsiders come and do work there?
350s are a dime a dozen, you should be able to find rebuilt long blocks and bolt all your existing hardware on them. There's quite a few rebuilders on line. Use Ontario as your search, and I'm pretty sure there's one accross the boarder from you though I can't remember the name. If you keep it close you'll keep shipping down.
I'm willing to bet you'll be rebuilding the trannys too but you'll only find out once they're installed so best to have them torn down before they get installed also.
Call Anthony Keats, and ask if he knows anybody in the area. He should also be able to help out with the hardware, he can certainly check the trannys http://www.anthonykeatsmarine.com/
She was a 1969 36 ft wooden beauty with big blue 440s that we'll miss forever.
And thanks to the gang, 2012 Trojan Boater Of The Year