Bennett trim tabs

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

oldboat1
Sporadic User

Bennett trim tabs

Post by oldboat1 »

I have a 1980 F26 that stays in its Keuka Lake slip most of the summer, but I enjoy Fall boating after things a a little more quiet on the lake. I noticed a few days ago that my trim tabs were not working -- motor sound for each of the tabs, but no movement. Based on the info. I found in a search on this site, I was guessing that there was probably an electrical issue (not enough juice to the solenoids). I have spent most of the last couple of summers tracking down gremlins, so wasn't surprised to find my tabs problem could be electrical (thinking yet another corrosion issue -- the kind I thought I was done with when we moved from salt water (or brackish, anyway) in Maryland.

Anyway, I found today that there was little or no fluid in the unit, so I corrected that first. It turns out, that solves the problem for now. I found, though, that the left and right hoses are reversed at the control unit. Is this something that should be corrected? The switch is correct for right and left (and up/down), so I'm thinking maybe a prior owner had the left and right leads reversed somewhere, and just decided to reverse the hydraulic lines to correct the problem. I haven't pulled the switch or done any other checking yet, and would rather not mess around with the hydraulic connections on this 1980 boat. Other than that issue, the lexan cover is cracked/split at the rear, but still screws in place (pump motor and solenoids under the cover appeared to be very clean). The clicking of the solenoids is not real easy to hear, although they are clearly working as the tabs are now operating. So, anybody have any thoughts??

By the way, there is a black box with a 16 amp circuit breaker button on the bulkhead at the port side of the engine -- marked "trim tabs". The breaker was OK, as would be expected since the control button for the tabs was working. For the record, there is also a breaker/reset button under the helm and fuse panel -- also the red plastic key for the electrical system. This breaker popped once early on when I was trying to dock -- immediately shut down the motor so I guess that breaker is for the ignition switch and maybe nothing else (hasn't happened since, but I'm still a little spooked.) In addition, there is a panel for the A/C shore power and onboard charger in the storage compartment on the passenger side. The charger makes a buzzing sound when doing its thing. (Somebody had wondered about that in one of the posts I found -- instruction booklet for the charger says the buzzing is normal, and tends to quiet as the batteries reach full charge. I haven't noticed any difference in sound, though, and the batteries were brand new this Spring.)
Motors should run. People -- not so much.

1980 F26, Mercruiser 305
1979 14' Starcraft, 1957 18 hp Evinrude and '57 3hp Evinrude kicker
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Re: Bennett trim tabs

Post by prowlersfish »

The tabs are normally are wired so the left switch works the right tab and right switch to left tab.

However some people don't like them that way the prefer right to right left to left . I am one of those people . :wink:

I would not worry about the hoses if it works the way you want it , if not switch the hoses .
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
oldboat1
Sporadic User

Post by oldboat1 »

interesting. I assumed the left switch operated the left (port) tab, and the right switch for the right tab, as you suggest may be preferred. Seems the most intuitive to me, but maybe that is why the lines are switched. good tip.

I should add that the lines appear to me to be reversed with the outlets facing the bow of the boat, as is the arrangement in mine. Maybe the unit is meant to have the hydraulic outlets facing the stern (which would make some sense), in which case left would be left and right would be right. makes my head hurt.

I didn't make a note of the solenoid wire colors on the "right" and "left" in my boat, and it just struck me that would be the way to figure out what hydraulic outlet was intended for what tab.

1980 F26, Mercruiser 305
todd brinkerhoff
Moderate User

Post by todd brinkerhoff »

oldboat1 wrote:interesting. I assumed the left switch operated the left (port) tab, and the right switch for the right tab, as you suggest may be preferred. Seems the most intuitive to me, but maybe that is why the lines are switched. good tip.

I should add that the lines appear to me to be reversed with the outlets facing the bow of the boat, as is the arrangement in mine. Maybe the unit is meant to have the hydraulic outlets facing the stern (which would make some sense), in which case left would be left and right would be right. makes my head hurt.

I didn't make a note of the solenoid wire colors on the "right" and "left" in my boat, and it just struck me that would be the way to figure out what hydraulic outlet was intended for what tab.
Uhh huh???
1991 Trojan International 10.8 Meter Express hull# 003 - 454 Crusaders
1961 Century Raven 22 - Gray Marine 327

http://s1086.photobucket.com/home/Todd_ ... hoff/index
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Tabman ( a expert from Benett ) has posted some diagrans here you maybe able find them . Or maybe he willl see this and respond .
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
Tabman

Post by Tabman »

If you have the rocker switch, the left button operates the starboard Trim Tab and the right button operates the port Trim Tab. This is the way the system comes wired from the factory. The reasoning is that the you push the switch in the direction you wish the boat to respond. For example if you wish to lower the starboard bow, you would push the right hand upper button. This will lower the port Trim Tab which in turn would lower the starboard bow.

The solenoids for each side have a read and green wire. Red for the port valve and green for the starboard valve (just like running lights). There are also a small "P" & "S" molded above each outlet to identify which they should be connected to. The green valve (starboard side) is on the right when looking at the face of the pump, and red is on the left.

Some people do like the switch to operate the other way around, so that the right hand operates starboard and left operates port. This is fine and may be accomplished by swapping the tubing or exchanging the position of the red and green wires on the back of the switch.

It is unusual for a system to loose all its fluid, so you should closely inspect yours for leaks. One way to do this is to fully lower both Trim Tabs and leave them there overnight. They should stay down. If one or both retract on their own inspect for leaks and let me know what you find.

Tom McGow
Bennett Marine
RWS
Ultimate User

Post by RWS »

Tom,

Would it now be safe to say TABMAN UP ?
RWS
1983 10 Meter SOLD after 21 years of adventures
Yanmar diesels
Solid Glass Hull
Woodless Stringers
Full Hull Liner
Survived Andrew Cat 5,Eye of Charley Cat 4, & Irma Cat 2
Trojan International Website: http://trojanboat.com/

WEBSITE & SITELOCK TOTALLY SELF FUNDED
Tabman

Post by Tabman »

RWS wrote:Tom,

RWS
Tabman is indeed back up and running :D

Tom
Bennett Marine
The Dog House
Active User

Post by The Dog House »

Tabman wrote:

Tom
Bennett Marine
Welcome back Tom. Glad to hear the seas have calmed a bit for you.
1993 Sea Ray 200 Overnighter OB with 1993 Mercury 150 hp Outboard
1979 Starcraft 14' Rowboat with 2011 Mercury 9.9 hp Outboard
Former boat: 1971 Trojan F26
aaronbocknek
Ultimate User
Location: baltimore, md (alexandria, va and middle river,md) PARKSIDE MARINA

Post by aaronbocknek »

Tabman wrote:
RWS wrote:Tom,

RWS

Tom
Bennett Marine
YEAH!!!!!!! THE TABMAN IS BACK UP AND ABOUT. you've been in mine (our) thoughts and prayers. so stoked you're here posting.

aaron
1982 F-36 TRI CABIN ENTERPRISE
PARKSIDE MARINA IN MIDDLE RIVER, MD
aaronbocknek@gmail.com
Tabman

Post by Tabman »

Thanks guys! The kind thoughts and prayers of all my internet fiends was, and continues to be, a big factor in my recovery.

Tom
oldboat1
Sporadic User

Post by oldboat1 »

haven't checked the boat today, but found some seepage around one of the hydraulic line connections. There could be a slow leak that I had not noticed. The boat is very rarely run, and the leak was probably an ongoing problem even before I took possession, so that's probably the story on the problem -- tightened the compression connection slightly on the leaking outlet, and that may be enough to solve the problem. I expect to take the boat out tomorrow. If the tabs are working, I'll follow Tom's advice and lower them overnight to see if that affects the fluid level.

Tom -- best regards. Advice appreciated.

1980 F26, Mercruiser 305
alexander38
Ultimate User

Post by alexander38 »

Not to swipe a post...
Tom I'm glad to see your doing better, I'd like to thank you for all the help you gave me last off season. My 3607 now gets 1.6 nms per gallon per engine (454's black ones) and will stay on plane at 11 knots! One of the best things is the wife finds it alot easier to handle in quartering seas...thanks again.
Carver 3607 ACMY 454's Merc's
10' Dinghy 6hp Merc.
La Dolce Vita
Let's hit the water !

http://s852.beta.photobucket.com/user/t ... 8/library/
Tabman

Post by Tabman »

alexander38 wrote:Not to swipe a post...
Tom I'm glad to see your doing better, I'd like to thank you for all the help you gave me last off season. My 3607 now gets 1.6 nms per gallon per engine (454's black ones) and will stay on plane at 11 knots! One of the best things is the wife finds it alot easier to handle in quartering seas...thanks again.
Alexander38,

That is so cool to hear! I am delighted I could help!

Tom
Bennett Marine
yorklyn
Active User

Post by yorklyn »

Sorry for Hijack but I wanted to thank Tom the "Tabman" for all the help he gave me when I sent him a PM the other day! :D

Thanks Tom!
Todd Pote
1987 10 Meter Mid Cabin
Double Pote-N_Sea
1992 Scout 15.5 Center Console