13 meter upgrades

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

DOUGNASH
Moderate User

Re: 13 meter upgrades

Post by DOUGNASH »

yorklyn wrote:First of all I'm jealous because I have always loved the 13 meters! Call me crazy but the engine room looked pretty darn clean in the before pictures! looks awesome in the after! nice job. Good call on doing away with the rats nest of wiring, you will never regret it! Keep up the great work and please keep posting pictures.
Yeah I think I have the only 13 meter express that posts here, I don't think they were that popular and more 13 meter sedans were built, but who knows..

The engine room looked good before ONLY in the pictures, there was so much sludge and garbage and old tools under both engines, it was like the abyss down there, once something fell in, it was lost.

My goal is to have a dry ER as well as no oil leaks. We will see what happens..

If my work comes out just half as good as what you are doing I will be real happy!
1985 13 Meter International Express w/ 8v71tti 462hp Detroits, 43' x 16'3"
DOUGNASH
Moderate User

Post by DOUGNASH »

8lug wrote:very nice
wish i had those motors sitting in my engine room
keep the pictures coming
Thank you, more pics soon
DOUGNASH
Moderate User

Post by DOUGNASH »

K4282 wrote:o boy, I hope you know what your getting yourself into ripping out all that wiring, i see so many boats around me people gut to redo everything with big dreams and ambitions and they never see the water again
Thanks for your words of encouragement!

Sorry to disappoint you, no big dreams or ambitions here, this is more of a lifestyle for me.

Typically projects like this don't get finished because of financial problems, divorce and/or health issues, I guess you have a lot of that by you.

At 44 and single with a great career in medical sales, I am pretty confident I will finish what I started...
DOUGNASH
Moderate User

Post by DOUGNASH »

rickalan35 wrote:Doug,

Keep the photos rolling. Love that big rig. I drove to Toronto to view the 13 meter that was listed for sale by Beaches marine. Lets just say that is one big mother out of the water. Great job.
I wish I still had pictures when she was on the big rig trailer, talk about a wide load!!
Paul
Active User

Post by Paul »

DOUGNASH wrote:
K4282 wrote:o boy, I hope you know what your getting yourself into ripping out all that wiring, i see so many boats around me people gut to redo everything with big dreams and ambitions and they never see the water again

Sorry to disappoint you, no big dreams or ambitions here, this is more of a lifestyle for me.

Typically projects like this don't get finished because of financial problems, divorce and/or health issues, I guess you have a lot of that by you.

At 44 and single with a great career in medical sales, I am pretty confident I will finish what I started...
As for the electrical, I almost always prefer to remove all of the old stuff and start fresh. Often older boats have had so many electrical and electronic addons and modifications over their life span followed by removals and cut wires just left hanging. Often times these mods were not installed correctly in the first place and can lead to issues down the road. Upgrading or replacing the electrical systems can seem like an insurmountable task when looked at as whole however when you take it one circuit at a time its no so bad. Be sure to size the wire and breaker correctly for the load of each circuit.

If you have any questions along the way, don't hesitate to ask. There are several people on this site that can help you along. And don't forget to post lots and lots of pictures.
Paul
"Cruise Control" 1978 F-26HT
"No Control" 2012 9' Grand RIB
shamsul hasan

Post by shamsul hasan »

Great job!!!! Very impressive work so far..I am at it for a year now and my 12 meter is still not finished. Good luck..
Shams
Trojan 12 Meter International
GW 300 2008 F350s
GW 282 2001 HPDIs 200
DOUGNASH
Moderate User

Post by DOUGNASH »

Paul wrote:
DOUGNASH wrote:

As for the electrical, I almost always prefer to remove all of the old stuff and start fresh. Often older boats have had so many electrical and electronic addons and modifications over their life span followed by removals and cut wires just left hanging. Often times these mods were not installed correctly in the first place and can lead to issues down the road. Upgrading or replacing the electrical systems can seem like an insurmountable task when looked at as whole however when you take it one circuit at a time its no so bad. Be sure to size the wire and breaker correctly for the load of each circuit.

If you have any questions along the way, don't hesitate to ask. There are several people on this site that can help you along. And don't forget to post lots and lots of pictures.

That's exactly why I gutted everything, so many people touched and added and did not remove the old unused wires, it just made sense.

I am sure I will have some questions as I move along, thank you!
DOUGNASH
Moderate User

Post by DOUGNASH »

shamsul hasan wrote:Great job!!!! Very impressive work so far..I am at it for a year now and my 12 meter is still not finished. Good luck..
You should post some updates on your build too!!

Yeah this project is taking awhile as well.

I was in a rush to get the boat finished for the 2013 season, but then on Fathers Day Morning of 2013 I found myself in the ER of a hospital with a dislocated right shoulder, VERY painful!!!

So, all the work you have seen so far was done prior to the shoulder accident.

I already had surgery (torn labrum), went through physical therapy and now I am ready to start stage II of this rebuild.
DOUGNASH
Moderate User

Post by DOUGNASH »

Went through the binders I had from the boat.

I found the wiring schematics so I took them down to staples and copied them and had them laminated.

These will definitely help with the re-wire.

yorklyn
Active User

Post by yorklyn »

good Idea on laminating them! I just made copies and they dont last long and are easily misplaced.
Todd Pote
1987 10 Meter Mid Cabin
Double Pote-N_Sea
1992 Scout 15.5 Center Console
DOUGNASH
Moderate User

Post by DOUGNASH »

I stopped by my plastics guy the other day.

He is working on my subwoofer enclosure.

I spoke with JL AUDIO to get the exact specs for the enclosure that will optimize performance for my JL 12W7 subwoofers.

These speakers with the magnet weigh in @ 45lbs each, I have a 750watt JL amp for each sub, I love the sound of the 671's @ cruise but sometimes I like to listen to my music more!

The front panel where the woofers will mount is 3/4" thick, all of the back and side panels are 1/2" thick, the enclosure is actually 2 separate boxes with a 3/4" divider in the middle, he welded the entire thing together, no screws or glues or adhesives.

This enclosure will fit perfectly in the storage opening and will mount flush.

Since I have no canvas yet and the woofers will be exposed to the elements I had him make covers that will protect the woofers when not in use.

RWS
Ultimate User

Post by RWS »

nice woofer job !

WOW

Also, I strongly suggest a labelmaker on board your boat.

I just wish I had one 12 years ago when I first got her.

Although I still have my factory wiring (except for the instruments and my own added items) Labeling the wiring and using the factory numbering system has been a great tool moving forward.

Just sayin........

RWS
1983 10 Meter SOLD after 21 years of adventures
Yanmar diesels
Solid Glass Hull
Woodless Stringers
Full Hull Liner
Survived Andrew Cat 5,Eye of Charley Cat 4, & Irma Cat 2
Trojan International Website: http://trojanboat.com/

WEBSITE & SITELOCK TOTALLY SELF FUNDED
DOUGNASH
Moderate User

Post by DOUGNASH »

RWS wrote:nice woofer job !

WOW

Also, I strongly suggest a labelmaker on board your boat.

I just wish I had one 12 years ago when I first got her.

Although I still have my factory wiring (except for the instruments and my own added items) Labeling the wiring and using the factory numbering system has been a great tool moving forward.

Just sayin........

RWS
I am going to pick up a couple books of numbers from an electrical supply place but that's a great idea about the label maker too, thanks!

For the engine harnesses I am thinking about using elevator cable, already pre-numbered and extremely durable.
DOUGNASH
Moderate User

Post by DOUGNASH »

Here we have over 200ft (combined) of welders cable.

I am going to use this for battery connections and also for the 35ft run to the windlass motor, the original wire was tripping the breaker a lot, this should fix that.

My friend has a hydraulic crimper I will be borrowing!

yorklyn
Active User

Post by yorklyn »

What type of plastic is the sub box made out of? looks somewhat like starboard? Heat welded joints? Great job! love the spools of wire! my old windless had a 25 ft run of #10 wire! cant believe it never caught on fire! Keep up the good work!
Todd Pote
1987 10 Meter Mid Cabin
Double Pote-N_Sea
1992 Scout 15.5 Center Console