Painting Bilge

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

marklo154
Sporadic User

Painting Bilge

Post by marklo154 »

I`m finally getting the engines pulled and replaced, but before the new ones go in I wanted to clean and paint the bilge. I was curious on the best way to clean it and the best what the best kind of paint to use would be.
1978 Trojan F36 Tri Cabin
Lean Wolf

Re: Painting Bilge

Post by Lean Wolf »

I painted another boat of mine a few years back with two part white epoxy paint from Sherwin Williams. I cleaned it with TSP prior to painting it. The TSP did not work as well as anticipated but once I got it clean, the epoxy paint worked great and lasted for years.
Drew
1979 Trojan F44, Detroit 6-71's
Chopped 47 Ford, 460 CI
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

I like Bilge coat my self
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
kallen
Sporadic User

Post by kallen »

Used a light gray ( oil based ) porch paint and washed with super clean then TSP.
gettaway
Active User

Post by gettaway »

I used simple green and a long handled scrub brush, several times, then I washed the entire hull portion of the bilge (the bottom) with Soft-Scrub with bleach and a clean scrub brush and let it dry for a week with a fan in the engine bay with hatches open, then I wiped the whole thing down with thinner, let it dry and put on two coats of gray bilge coat.
1984 Silverton 37C
Silver Lining
Scott
comodave
Moderate User

Post by comodave »

I used Extreme Simple Green mixed 1 to 1 to clean the very dirty bilge and then used 2 coats of white Bilgekote paint. It looks great and is very light and easy to see around the engines.
Trojan has been sold
1987 President 41 DC 225 Lehmans
Au Gres, Michigan
blair

Post by blair »

Hey marko I'm just glad to hear you are getting it all back in order. It's been a long haul for you and I wish you all the best of luck.
Just curious and I've always meant to ask...did you buy your Trojan from that guy in Windsor that was breaking up with his wife/girlfriend? The reason I ask, is that I almost drove down to look at it, but something about the "deal" seemed a little weird, to me.
Any way, I hope you get things ready in time for this season.You have had your share of bad boater's luck for sure.
Blair
1979 Trojan Tricabin with twin 255 Mercs
11' Inflatable dingy with 4 Hp merc
On the Trent canal system at Young's Point , Clear Lake, Ontario
marklo154
Sporadic User

Post by marklo154 »

Yes, that is the boat Blair. It has been a learning experience that s for sure and I still have a long way to go and alot to learn but I`m enjoying myself doing it so I can`t complain.
1978 Trojan F36 Tri Cabin
blair

Post by blair »

Well, the "learning curve" will continue, once you get things worked out and on the water. One of the things I learned last year, was not to leave stuff on the swim platform when you are underway. So far, we lost a 25' rope and a really nice set of swim fins. One end of that rope now hangs in one of our windows, as a reminder to clean the lines before departure :lol:
I'm thinking about doing my bilge this year and plan on going with bilgekote, after a heavy-duty cleaning. I'm not going to move the engines to do it, though... :) I've seen a thread here on painting the bilge and the results look very nice. Bright and clean when painted white.
Blair
1979 Trojan Tricabin with twin 255 Mercs
11' Inflatable dingy with 4 Hp merc
On the Trent canal system at Young's Point , Clear Lake, Ontario
Paul
Active User

Post by Paul »

+1 on the Bilgekote.
Paul
"Cruise Control" 1978 F-26HT
"No Control" 2012 9' Grand RIB
Bubbabuda
Sporadic User

Post by Bubbabuda »

+2 on the Bilgekote. Cleaned first with Lestoil degreaser. Sometimes hard to find it, only place around here is Lowes, in the cleaning isle. Warm water and Lestoil witth long handle brush. Took off 32 years of grease.
rickalan35
Moderate User

Post by rickalan35 »

Bubba - I just shuffled through the photobucket record of your restoration endeavours and wanted to throw a compliment your way, not only for the extent of the work but also for the fact that you managed to get it done and in the water. So many people begin but then fail to get them "wet". I do remember your previous posts outlining the galley makeover. When I chanced upon that tv installation, I just had to shake my head and smile, "Where does this guy stop." Very well done. Boat looks terrific.
Trojan 1994 370 Express, 502 Bluewaters
Cmount
Sporadic User

Post by Cmount »

Bildgecoat...Goes on easy and stays nice. I used Gray.
1987 Jersey Dawn
"The Other Woman II"
RWS
Ultimate User

Post by RWS »

I did mine in Bilgecoat white.

For me, it seems to hold stains and occasional mildew.

Is there anything better?

RWS
1983 10 Meter SOLD after 21 years of adventures
Yanmar diesels
Solid Glass Hull
Woodless Stringers
Full Hull Liner
Survived Andrew Cat 5,Eye of Charley Cat 4, & Irma Cat 2
Trojan International Website: http://trojanboat.com/

WEBSITE & SITELOCK TOTALLY SELF FUNDED
Bubbabuda
Sporadic User

Post by Bubbabuda »

Rickalan35, Thanks for your kind words. I am so pleased on the results so far. My little generator just went in last week and my new 18500 a/c and heat unit is next on the list. I have alot of pics to upload. When I work on her it's like therapy for me, and it gets me out of the house.