Volvo TMD 41's in an F32?

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

DAVIDLOFLAND
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Volvo TMD 41's in an F32?

Post by DAVIDLOFLAND »

Still looking for replacement engines. Found 2 Volvo TMD41's in Seward, with 1.54:1 trannys. Not sure the rated RPM of the engines, but if it's high enough, they might work.

Anybody know if these have ever been installed in an F32?

Thanks again,
Dave
1977 F-32 INSTANT FUN "Just Add Water"
My Forever boat - O/O 30 years and counting
Yanmar 6BY3-260's
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Re: Volvo TMD 41's in an F32?

Post by prowlersfish »

JAV has a set of Volvos in his f32 not sure what model
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
DAVIDLOFLAND
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by DAVIDLOFLAND »

Thanks. I have asked the seller to let me know the exact modael numbers of these engines. When I have that, maybe we can contact JAV and see what he has. Thanks again Prowlerfish.
Yanmar 6BY3-260's
jav
Moderate User

Post by jav »

Hi guys,

yes- I have volvos in my F32. Mine are 200 HP each (TAMD41-B) and IMHO, that's about the lowest power you'd want in that boat. The TMD41's are only 150hp and a bit underpowered. Volvo in general have a mixed reputation. I'm a fan of some- but not all. I'm not a fan of Volvo gears.

If i were looking to put diesels in an f32 now, I'd be look for something around 250 hp. If money were no object, Volvo D4-260 would be a great fit. Stepping down a little but still a bit pricey- A yanmar 4 or 6 cylinder (240-260 hp) would work well. If you wanted mid range price, robustness and great parts and service, cummins 6bt's. And if you have some time and can wait for decent pair, Volvo tamd41B-P (avoid the A series if you don't like smoke) work well (their cheap used because parts are pricey and folks shy away from them but they are good simple engines). Personally, unless talking Volvo's new common rial engines, I'd avoid the more complicated supercharged/turbocharged Volvos.

lastly- I'd personally stay away from brands with little following unless you have a lot of local support.
gettaway
Active User

Post by gettaway »

David,

I put 165 HP GAS engines in our previous F-32 and WOT she would do 22 knots, at 11-12 knots they ran at about 2100 rpm and only burned 3-4 gallons an hour total, my point is, if you don't mind slowing down, 150 HP diesels should do considerably better on both speed and fuel than the 165 gas engines. (run this past Prowlerfish)

You can try to find the lengthy thread on my re-power but the 165's may be similar in physical size as a 4 cylinder diesel and you can get an idea of what it took to fit them into the F-32, which really consisted of angle down transmissions, which you need to get the engines to sit level with the stringers and the front of the engines below the hatches. You may have to modify motor mounts to get the engine low enough to make the shaft connections as well.

I'll tell you one thing, on an appearance, accessibility and maintenance stand point, nothing beats an inline engine in an engine compartment, lots of room on either side of the engines, clean neat installation and only one exhaust riser, elbow and hose per engine, no tees or wyes, no cross over raw water hoses etc....

1984 Silverton 37C
Silver Lining
Scott
DAVIDLOFLAND
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by DAVIDLOFLAND »

Thanks JAV and Gettaway! Lots of great info! My search continues...
Yanmar 6BY3-260's
comodave
Moderate User

Post by comodave »

I visited Getaway's F32 with the inline six cylinder engines. I would repower my F32 in a heartbeat with the same engines if I could get a deal like his on the engines. I came from a 46' trawler, so his speeds with the six cylinder engines would be great for me. If I could cruise at 12 to 14 knots at a lower fuel burn, I would be in heaven. His engine room was wonderful with all the space left over. With the price of fuel these days, going slower but still being able to go would be OK with me.
Trojan has been sold
1987 President 41 DC 225 Lehmans
Au Gres, Michigan
DAVIDLOFLAND
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by DAVIDLOFLAND »

I do a lot of day and half-day trips, so I still need to be able to do a 20+ kt cruise, to get out and back in a short period of time.

The seller just now got back to me.

The engines are TAMD41B's with MS4B gears with 7 degree down angle. He does not know if the trannys reverse the shaft rotatiom, or, not.
Yanmar 6BY3-260's
jav
Moderate User

Post by jav »

That's a good find and if the price is right, it may be the perfect package for what your looking for. The MS4B gears aren't horrible if they're in good shape... but if the clutch cones are suspect, you'd be better off selling them and buying newer ZF gears than fixing the volvo units. (good used MS4's can bring about half what new ZF gears will cost (if you shop)) The engines are standard rotation and the gear will handle reverse drive at full rated power so you can use them on counter-rotating installations -like on the F-32. Hopefully the gears are 1.5:1 reduction?

Speed- This setup, if propped correctly, should give you a 20 knot cruise all day long (depending on conditions) burning about 6-7 GPH per engine. You can make more if you push the engines (Volvo accepts 200 off the top- if you can make full 3800 WOT RPM (I prefer to prop for 3850-3900) but I limit my cruise to 90% of WOT or about 3400 RPM.

Depending on hours, you may need to do some maintenance, but there's nothing too scary on these engines as long as compression and boost is good.
DAVIDLOFLAND
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by DAVIDLOFLAND »

Great info. Thanks Jav. They are 1.5:1 gears. The seller reports 1300 and 1400 hours on the engines, but that is always suspect. The seller is a commercial fisherman, and says he bought an old boat, just for these engines. He pulled them from the old boat but never installed them in anything. Says they were last started in 2009, and have been stored in an unheated warehouse since. He's asking $10k OBO each. If I decide to buy them, I would probably offer much less, just because of the gamble factor. Are these models turbocharged? Are they exactly the same as what you're running?
Yanmar 6BY3-260's
jav
Moderate User

Post by jav »

These are my exact engines. Mine even had the Volvo gears but I sold them and bought brand new ZF gears. These aren't super charged, only trubo charged and aftercooled. These are one of Volvo's all time best engines IMHO. Price seems a bit steep to me for the vintage and power, I'd want to be closer to 6-7k per engine and gear and then only if the compression numbers were perfect and the turbo's spun free and were very clean. I'd also want to make sure they came with panels.

This is what they look like in an f32 engine room. I went through mine completely prior to install and they've been very good to me.

gettaway
Active User

Post by gettaway »

JAV
Very nice install!!
1984 Silverton 37C
Silver Lining
Scott
DAVIDLOFLAND
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by DAVIDLOFLAND »

Beautiful! I have a whole lot to think about. Also getting a quote on brand new Mercruiser 350's. I'd rather have diesel of course, but there's more to the equation than just that. I want to look at it from all angles. Thanks again!
Yanmar 6BY3-260's
DAVIDLOFLAND
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by DAVIDLOFLAND »

Jav, With your set-up, if want to get somewhere at a fast cruise, around what speed would you be running, and with what kind of economy?
Yanmar 6BY3-260's
jav
Moderate User

Post by jav »

I posted my fast cruise a few posts back but again- it depends on how much you want to push your engines. These engines are 10 gph @ WOT (3800 RPM). To be safe, I propped them to do 3850-3900 RPM @ WOT meaning, they are lightly loaded and the prop demand curve is below Volvo's max. I've attended a few volvo engine seminars and their staff, (counter to my own beliefs) says you can fast cruise their engines at 200 RPM below WOT - AS LONG AS YOUR WOT RPM IS AT OR ABOVE THE FACTORY RATED 3800 RPM.

So if one were to ascribe to Volvo's specs on my boat, I should be able to fast cruise at 3600 RPM, which would give me a solid 21-22 knots fast cruise, and my boat is rather heavy with the hardtop and 231 gallon fuel tank. BTW- I am expressing speed in true "knots" - not Mile's per hour.

I chose to run the more conservative 10% off the top, which is what Volvo recommends after running at WOT for 1 hour. This is my personal preference because I believe it's less stressful on the engines. So for fast cruise, I run 3400 RPM (3800-380 (10%)=3420). That gives me a solid 20-21 knot cruise burning about 6GPH per engine or 12 GPH total. That's a very respectable 1.66 KMPG @ 20 knots. Very few 32 foot, 16,000 pound boats will do those numbers.