F36 stanchions

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

8lug

F36 stanchions

Post by 8lug »

I am replacing the rail bases as i go.
I got the first couple of bases off and went to west marine to replace
best i can tell they are a match except for the screw holes
1 will line up but the other 2 need new holes drilled
I guess thats ok since all will be sealed and hidden.
Or is there somewhere i can get the correct ones to just drop back in
Thanks ahead of time
larryeddington
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Re: F36 stanchions

Post by larryeddington »

Try Beacon Marine, may have originals.
Larry Eddington
1984 F-36 Tri Cabin "The Phoenix II"
1978 F-28 "The Phoenix"
Fish Master 2350 Bay Boat
9.5' Dink
8lug

Post by 8lug »

Ok ill try that
Didnt know he had other things besides whats on his site
Away On Busine$$
Moderate User

Post by Away On Busine$$ »

Have you got a picture and the size. I have six removed form my F32.
Season is short, we make the best of it.
yorklyn
Active User

Post by yorklyn »

Try www.ggschmitt.com its my understanding they supplied a lot of stainless parts to Trojan. You may get lucky.
Todd Pote
1987 10 Meter Mid Cabin
Double Pote-N_Sea
1992 Scout 15.5 Center Console
MattSC
Moderate User

Post by MattSC »

Why don't you just get all of them re-chromed? I just had all of my original deck hardware re-chromed when I redid the deck. Depending on how many stanchions you have, if might be cheaper. Plus all of the holes will line up. Make sure you use a good backing plate, mine were plywood and needed to be replaced. Here's some before and after photos of my cleats, the stanchions came out the same and my rod holders were a mess.

aaronbocknek
Ultimate User
Location: baltimore, md (alexandria, va and middle river,md) PARKSIDE MARINA

Post by aaronbocknek »

wow those are nice. who did your re-chroming? i'd love to have my throttle/transmission handles and covers redone. they look a bit tired. then again, so do i these days. hey, maybe I need a complete refit!!!

i'm also curious how your cleats attach matt. i have the same ones and i am just unsure what they look like from underneath.
1982 F-36 TRI CABIN ENTERPRISE
PARKSIDE MARINA IN MIDDLE RIVER, MD
aaronbocknek@gmail.com
8lug

Post by 8lug »

Those do look nice.
A few of the rail bases are broke. I think im just going to go with aftermarket ones.
They seem to be thicker. And someone already replaced one with the am type
MattSC
Moderate User

Post by MattSC »

8lug wrote:Those do look nice.
A few of the rail bases are broke. I think im just going to go with aftermarket ones.
That makes sense if you have some broken ones. Mine were chrome plated bronze, not stainless.
aaronbocknek wrote:wow those are nice. who did your re-chroming? i'd love to have my throttle/transmission handles and covers redone. they look a bit tired. then again, so do i these days. hey, maybe I need a complete refit!!!

i'm also curious how your cleats attach matt. i have the same ones and i am just unsure what they look like from underneath.
Aaron, all of my chrome was done by New England Chrome, one of my friends does alot of business with them. They are located in East Hartford CT.

As for my cleats, they are thru bolted from under the deck. I can't remember the bolt size off the top of my head, I can get the correct size if you need them. All of my cleats showed no signs of any type of bedding compound at all. (which led to most of my coring issues) All but a few of the bolts were badly rusted, to almost half of their original diameter and snapped trying to get them out. I saved a few of them and can post a picture for you. The bolts were steel, and the backing plates were plywood. I'm glad I didn't find out the hard way
lakeguy72

Post by lakeguy72 »

To avoid problems down the road, drill out old or new holes so that they are oversize. Then use tape to seal the backside and fill the holes with epoxy. Then redrill the holes
and mount the stanchions or whatever hardware you are mounting. This will seal and protect the core.
Lakeguy
8lug

Post by 8lug »

Got the new holes drilled
Thats a good idea to fill old holes in.
aaronbocknek
Ultimate User
Location: baltimore, md (alexandria, va and middle river,md) PARKSIDE MARINA

Post by aaronbocknek »

MattSC wrote:
8lug wrote:Those do look nice.
That makes sense if you have some broken ones. Mine were chrome plated bronze, not stainless.
aaronbocknek wrote:wow those are nice. who did your re-chroming? i'd love to have my throttle/transmission handles and covers redone. they look a bit tired. then again, so do i these days. hey, maybe I need a complete refit!!!

Aaron, all of my chrome was done by New England Chrome, one of my friends does alot of business with them. They are located in East Hartford CT.

okay. maybe it's the early hour, or maybe i took the 'short bus' to class. the bolt assembly is attached to the underside of the cleat as a single unit or does the cleat have threads and the bolt screws into the cleat from under the deck? and how does one obtain replacement bolts if the need arises?
i also checked out new england chrome on the web. i'm going to contact them. shame. i had a 30 hr layover there last week and they are not too far from our hotel. okay....off to work.

As for my cleats, they are thru bolted from under the deck. I can't remember the bolt size off the top of my head, I can get the correct size if you need them. All of my cleats showed no signs of any type of bedding compound at all. (which led to most of my coring issues) All but a few of the bolts were badly rusted, to almost half of their original diameter and snapped trying to get them out. I saved a few of them and can post a picture for you. The bolts were steel, and the backing plates were plywood. I'm glad I didn't find out the hard way
1982 F-36 TRI CABIN ENTERPRISE
PARKSIDE MARINA IN MIDDLE RIVER, MD
aaronbocknek@gmail.com