F-36 bow core repair

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

Wdavies

F-36 bow core repair

Post by Wdavies »

I am finally posting my project from last summer. After several years of watching the bow core getting softer, I decided to tackle the project myself. I started with drilling several holes to assess the damage. Unfortunately, the damage area was larger than I thought. I used a dremel tool to make all cuts which worked very well. I have had experience with fiberglass work over the years but never with replacing a rotten core. This was my first time using the West Systems. Using the West System to wet out the new core and 6 layers of glass was relatively easy. Since it is not fully compatible with gelcoat I decided to finish with Kiwi Grip. The bow pulpit has been installed and the only thing left is to install the hawse pipe. I have attached some pictures of the various stages of the project.

Now I cannot wait until boating season.

Bill Davies
1988 F-36
Middle River, MD
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Re: F-36 bow core repair

Post by prowlersfish »

I would like to see the photos . btw Welcome to the forum ? There are at least 4 others here from Middle River . a F36 conv , 2 tri-cabins and 10 meter that I can think of . What marina are you at ?
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
P-Dogg
Active User
Location: Near Baltimorgue, Murderland, where they prove every day that gun control doesn't work.

Post by P-Dogg »

Yeah -- what Prowlerfish said!
I needed a less expensive hobby, so I bought a boat!
Wdavies

Post by Wdavies »

Hopefully the pictures are below:

Wdavies

Post by Wdavies »

Looks like the pictures are now posted. In the early stages of the project I thought I would try Git Rot. It did not work as I had about a 6 inch void around the hawse pipe. The Git Rot pooled in some of the void and did not provide any stability as it was almost impossible to completely dry out the wet balsa. As it turns I decided to fix it the right way. The test holes allowed me to estimate the extent of the rot. Trying Git Rot just added to the job as I had to chip out the dried Git Rot before starting the fix. I used a vibrating multi tool for all cuts in the balsa and removing the git rot. The dremel and the vibrating multi tool were fantastic. The other key tools were a grinder and a dewalt sander with a shop vac attachment. The pictures with the balsa are the dry fit in the early stages. I had increase the size to remove more rotten core that was under both bow cleats. As it turned out the patch was almost round as I did not want to have a problem with future stress cracks.

We are located on D Pier at Baltimore Yacht Club.

Bill Davies
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Nice job !
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
gettaway
Active User

Post by gettaway »

very nice job, I am sure there had to be a bit more mess during the project, but respect you on how clean you kept everything during the job
1984 Silverton 37C
Silver Lining
Scott
MattSC
Moderate User

Post by MattSC »

Nice work! came out really nice
P-Dogg
Active User
Location: Near Baltimorgue, Murderland, where they prove every day that gun control doesn't work.

Post by P-Dogg »

Yes -- nice work. Three forum members with 50 feet of each other over in Frog Mortar Creek. When I need to haul out, I do it at Sue Island. http://www.trojanboats.net/wforum/viewt ... ous#p69022 John Stump over at Blue Water Marine is (almost) the only other person to have worked on my boat in the almost two years that I've had it.

Thanks for posting the "how-to." I think it helps give people confidence to tackle their own projects and keep the brand alive, not that the Dougnash and Yorklyn types need any such encouragement! I look forward to seeing you around the forum and the creek, maybe at the not-on-the-fourth fireworks at that "other" yacht club around the corner if you go there.
I needed a less expensive hobby, so I bought a boat!
rickalan35
Moderate User

Post by rickalan35 »

Nice Work. Photos tell the story well.
Trojan 1994 370 Express, 502 Bluewaters
willietrojan
Moderate User

Post by willietrojan »

Good looking job!

Here was my experience with core issues, http://www.trojanboats.net/wforum/viewt ... highlight=
WillieTrojan (Owned F32, Willpower in Kinsale, Va)
Spanish Fort, Al

Looking for 33 International
Wdavies

Post by Wdavies »

Thanks all. Willietrojan, I read your post numerous times. It was very helpful in deciding to tackle the project. It is nice to share some of the thoughts on the challenges and opportunities of almost any project needed on all the different trojan models.

Bill