Instructions on how to rebuild a Hynautic K-19 steering cyl

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

RWS
Ultimate User

Re: Instructions on how to rebuild a Hynautic K-19 steering cyl

Post by RWS »

This is one excellent example of the VALUE of the Forum.

No other orphaned BRAND has the resources and support that TROJAN does.

* BEACON MARINE/Bob Cushman & John Leed

* The FORUM

* Trojan International Resource - www.trojanboats.com

* People like Prowlerfish, who continue to keep it all moving along in the right direction

RWS
1983 10 Meter SOLD after 21 years of adventures
Yanmar diesels
Solid Glass Hull
Woodless Stringers
Full Hull Liner
Survived Andrew Cat 5,Eye of Charley Cat 4, & Irma Cat 2
Trojan International Website: http://trojanboat.com/

WEBSITE & SITELOCK TOTALLY SELF FUNDED
WayWeGo
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by WayWeGo »

prowlersfish wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:02 pm If needed I bet the o-rings could be matched up and that's what fails most the time
Teleflex tech support was kind enough to give me the specs on each part in the kit. The O-rings are available except for the scarf cut Teflon rings and they told me that in a pinch, they could probably come up with the metal retainers. My plan was to install the used cylinder and if it leaked, obtain all the parts that were reasonable to find and rebuild. Grainger has a great selection of O-rings in case anybody is looking.

As RWS said, this forum is a fantastic resource and I would not have bought the F-36 without it and the advice I got by phone from prowlersfish and Bob Cushman when looking at the boat. The Facebook group is a nice place to socialize, but I cringe when I see technical info posted there because it fades into obscurity over time.
1975 F-36 Convertible
Twin Chrysler 440's
captainmaniac
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by captainmaniac »

prowlersfish wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:02 pm If needed I bet the o-rings could be matched up and that's what fails most the time
I have bought o-rings from the Canadian operation of these guys in the past with good results : https://herculesus.com/ . Just need to identify the specs for ID / OD and planned usage (water, fuel, oil, etc).