When Do you Give Up?

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

hmc
Sporadic User

Re: When Do you Give Up?

Post by hmc »

NEVER GIVE UP D SHIP
f boat ( glass )
TROJANS !!!
TBone
Sporadic User

Post by TBone »

I have been down your road bigralph. I love the challenge of a project. your boat does not sound that bad, or atleast next to my old F-32. Mine had most of the problems you speak of, but added to that was the fact that the balsa core was wet everywhere on the boat. Mine had been completely neglected for decades let alone years. I finally looked at it and said time to go.

I have another project boat, a Silverton 34C. And I am going through the same pains as you.

Everyone else has said it already, so Ill be beating a dead horse here, but just get her ready for the water and enjoy it and tinker on the other stuff.

Thats exactly what my plan is with my 34C

Good luck my friend!!!

Tom
1983 Silverton 34C; Its 8 O'clock... Somewhere!
1985 Chris Craft 222 stinger
1977 F-32 trojan (sold)
trojanmanXS
Moderate User

Post by trojanmanXS »

I don't exactly know the ans. But I can tell you this ,,,,You guys will be the first to get the ebay listing ! :P
bigralph

Post by bigralph »

If someone witnessed a majestic vessell, moving rapildy on an acient river, past a forgotten and neglected pyramid yesterday as Ra communed with Horus - well they saw a major accomplishment: Invictus was on a plane on the mighty Mississippi near the great black pyramid someday soon to be a bass pro shop.

It wasn't a pretty plane. It wasn't an efficient plane. It wasn't the plane I want it to be, but dammit, she was on a plane. :) Oh and she didn't blow up :) or sink :) or heel too badly :\

She needs work, no doubt, but I was happier with her yesterday than I've been in a year. I'll post the work in gas smell link. Bottom line, I felt like she gave me a little yesterday and it was a long time coming.
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Glad to hear that
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
jimbo36
Moderate User

Post by jimbo36 »

The only answer to your question is, NEVER. Unless you want to be like many who are faced with storage bills on a boat they gave up on. I truly believe that all buyers need a very honest and sincere surveyor willing to perform a through and objective survey. In addition, a Marine Technician should be hired to inspect all mechanicals. This should be a comprehensive inspection and should involve engine compression tests, fluid anaylsis, electrical (A/C and D/C), plumbing, etc,etc. Most importantly, you MUST be there during this procedure. As a result you will get a full understanding of what you are dealing with. Never accept the sellers survey, for obvious reasons. It will cost you money and some time and can be disappointing when you have to say no to the purchase as a result of the process, but I can guarantee there are those reading this wishing they had gone this route! knowledge is the answer. BEFORE venturing into a boat restoration, you need to know what is involved. Talk to people who have been there. I am on my 10th boat restoration, fiberglass and wood, and can tell you I have learned from every one of them. :) Boats from salt water and/or that have been layed up on the hard for months or years pose the greatest risk of being money pits. :| Having said all of that, it is not unusual to feel defeated at some point during the process. Seeing another beautiful restoration is a great way to get into a better frame of mind with your own project. 8) Good luck and keep asking questions. :wink: