When Do you Give Up?

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

bigralph

When Do you Give Up?

Post by bigralph »

I'm incredibly discouraged!
I've owned Invictus for one year now- yes the name is supposed to mean "Undefeated" and dammit I'm feeling whipped.

So, when I bought a 1990 F32 for $21K I thought the deal might be too good to be true. I mean a 32' boat with twin engines and cosmetically looking really good on the inside and not bad on the outside - seemed too good to be true. Well, it has been.

When I bought the boat these were my priorities - new stereo; bow pulpit looks rough and bad rode/anchor so replace and add a windlass; stereo didn't work so add a new stereo; fix the genset that hadn't ran for years.

So, since then, I've completely rebuilt the helm (hydraulic hose); fixed both AC and DC electrical problems (include DC distribution switch fire in this list), replaced the alternators and batteries, fought several fuel leaks and not done yet with the discovery of a cracked intake manifold.

I know that I need to replace the battery charger, repack the shaft seals, rebuild the helm control (mismatched gauges and some don't work), fix the stbd trim tab that's inoperative (probably switch, could be solenoid), replace the toilet, maybe add a holding tank, replace the macerator to comply with Coast Guard, check the fire suppression system, possibly rebuild that, still need to do additional work on the generator bc I apparently sucked something into the brand new impleller and it's not sucking fresh water, replace most of the isinglass, get a new chartplotter- but what else is lurking?

I've easily put about $8K in her and I won't get that back. I haven't even installed the windlass, bc there have been so many other priorities. Now, I'm staring at a minimum of $500 for the intake manifold and learn how to do that/install to make her seaworthy for this summer and I just keep wondering when I'm going to run out of the Aw $&@T's and surprises so I can just enjoy having a boat. yes, I wanted a project, but damn, she needs to give me a break. My wallet is wearing thin.

Sorry to whine. Ok, back to searching for parts.
The Dog House
Active User

Re: When Do you Give Up?

Post by The Dog House »

What you need to do is concentrate on the projects that need to be completed to get her on the water. A windlass would be nice but it is not necessary to get her on the water. Once you have her out on the water and can actually enjoy her a bit, it won't be so difficult to continue on with the other projects. Good luck!
1993 Sea Ray 200 Overnighter OB with 1993 Mercury 150 hp Outboard
1979 Starcraft 14' Rowboat with 2011 Mercury 9.9 hp Outboard
Former boat: 1971 Trojan F26
RWS
Ultimate User

Post by RWS »

Its easy to get discouraged.

That's one of the reasons people get out of boating.

Keeping any boat, even a new boat trouble free requires a high degree of maintenance.

Your boat is 24 years old.

Mine is 31.

The good news is that you have developed a systematic view of what needs to be done and it appears that you have prioritized it.

I have a spreadsheet list of all the things I would like to do to mine. If I took one solid month off and worked on her ten hours a day, that list would not be completed.

Even if I did, the next day there would be a new item.

The cost to replace your boat with a brand new one would be, (I'm guessing) over $200,000.

Keep that boat for ten years and it will have lost more than half it's value.

You have a well designed vessel that was built right.

Your costs of operation and maintenance are not significantly higher than they would be with a ten year old Sea Ray.

Plus you have zero depreciation.

The only way an old boat can survive is with a D I Y owner willing to invest the sweat equity.

You have a tried and true boat that had a phenomenal production run.

Complete the journey and bring her back at a speed that won't compromise safety but will fit your budget, and ENJOY HER.

RWS
1983 10 Meter SOLD after 21 years of adventures
Yanmar diesels
Solid Glass Hull
Woodless Stringers
Full Hull Liner
Survived Andrew Cat 5,Eye of Charley Cat 4, & Irma Cat 2
Trojan International Website: http://trojanboat.com/

WEBSITE & SITELOCK TOTALLY SELF FUNDED
willietrojan
Moderate User

Post by willietrojan »

Owning a boat is about 90% labor. I agree that you need to get the engines running so you can get it out on the water and enjoy it some, the other stuff can wait. Plus the boat market is real soft anyway so chances of you selling it soon are slim.

So get out there and enjoy!!!
WillieTrojan (Owned F32, Willpower in Kinsale, Va)
Spanish Fort, Al

Looking for 33 International
larryeddington
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by larryeddington »

I got my boat given to me from a guy that had your experiences. The boat was working on is being discarded. ++ first thing is get her sea worthy and enjoy then fix all the little crappy things. Did the genny, did the wiring, did the one tab did not work, and some errant gauges. Now having two new engines I had built for the other boat, going to see her tomorrow without guts and counsel with the tech. Painting bilges, new water tanks etc. But I can use her this summer. Oh by the way had 3 years invested in the junked boat, fortunately the $ for the most part are going into the floating boat.

Don't get discouraged there is light at the end of the tunnel, we all pray it is not the light from a freight train coming though. :lol:
Larry Eddington
1984 F-36 Tri Cabin "The Phoenix II"
1978 F-28 "The Phoenix"
Fish Master 2350 Bay Boat
9.5' Dink
kallen
Sporadic User

Post by kallen »

Dont give up. When I bought my 1981 F-32 in 98 I paid market value at that time ( not even halve of it now).. Since then I buget at least $1000.00 per year for maintance (canvas, engines, stringers and every other componet that was old plus upgrades to exsisting amenities. Its still cheaper than renting a cottage for 2 weeks and you get 16 weeks or more out of the boating season. Theres also the pride of showing off your work when someone askes how old is your boat.
Away On Busine$$
Moderate User

Post by Away On Busine$$ »

Bigralph! Mine is a 76, 14 years older than yours. Heed the advice here, do what needs to be done to get it on the water, enjoy it and work on what needs to be done as time and money allow. Check out Bubbabuda's post to see what can be done with time and effort or lawyerdave. Stay with it. It is worth it! Older boats are a constant effort to maintain, you need to enjoy the effort, accept the challenges and love the ride!
Season is short, we make the best of it.
boatsnbars

Post by boatsnbars »

Don't give up. Get her in the water and pick away at the list. The season is short in New England, May to October at best. Take care of the important things (engines, hull) and work on the others while in the water. During the week I try to fix everything that broke last weekend and one or two things that have been waiting on the list. Doesn't always happen that way, but it sounds good.
1988 Trojan F36, 2004 Palm Beach
lawyerdave71
Moderate User

Post by lawyerdave71 »

BOAT = Bring out another thousand.

After all a BOAT is a hole in the water that one pours money into.

But it sure is FUN!!!
Captain Dave -

1978 F30 Flybridge Express
yorklyn
Active User

Post by yorklyn »

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
I feel your pain all too well! I bought mine because of a decent survey that showed she was structurally sound, just like the 5 yr survey did! she had been completely remodeled and showed really well. I'm now on my sixth year of working on her, the past three years I've spent virtually every free moment working on her. I bought her for 42K. I have purposely not tracked the cost of the renovation to keep from crying myself to sleep at night! In addition to the purchase price and updates and repairs done the first 5 yrs we used her I have about $6500 in stringer replacement, 1400 in recovered upholstery , $4500 in prep for paint and awlgrip. +- 12000 in renovations up to the christmas before last. since then I have been using one credit card for the boat only, I have spent just over 28,000 on that! oh yes, almost forgot the transmissions $1200 and Engine rebuilds!
All of that for a boat I could buy in disrepair for $4000-$8000 now.
I always say it takes one of two types of people to own a boat,
1-Those who truly LOVE boating
2-People who are Total and complete idiots!
unfortunately for me I'm a little of both!

As others have stated concentrate on getting her in the water so you can safely use her. alot of the little things can be worked on here and there throughout the season. The enjoyment I got from using my boat for 5 yrs prior to my current fiasco has been what has kept me going (not to mention all the support from the members of this forum!)
Hang in there!
Todd Pote
1987 10 Meter Mid Cabin
Double Pote-N_Sea
1992 Scout 15.5 Center Console
jddens
Moderate User

Post by jddens »

I've been pretty lucky......in my case the previous owner spent 4 yrs and $30K (yes, that's $30K, he keep good logs and saved receipts). I've had my boat for 6 yrs. I've had the starboard motor rebuilt, replaced the head, replaced a bildge pump, done engine hoses, tune up every other year, changed oil each season and that's about it......not bad for a 42 yr old boat. "Time Warp" still turns heads and gets comment everywhere I go.

Unfortunately things are changing in my life and I may have to part company with the boat. When I do it won't be about the money, it will be about finding the right person that can appreciate and take care of her as I have......as you all know, it's a labor of love, nothing more.............John
1972 Trojan Sea Raider F30 - FI 350's "Time Warp"
1998 Kawasaki ZXi 1100
1972 Chevy Fleetside Shortbed hotrod.......450hp
10.5 Newport Inflatable w/15hp Rude
Ginger Lee

Post by Ginger Lee »

You bought her for 21k and put 8k into her? I think you're still ahead of the game. I paid 21k for my '75 and invested more than 8 in her in the past three years. And that's doing all the work myself. I'm not a marine mechanic but if I can figure it out, anyone can. I agree with many others on this thread; get 'er floating and take pleasure in working on her. It's nice to be messing around on a boat, even better if it's on the water.
"GINGER LEE" 1975 Trojan F-32 Lehman 120 diesels
Swifts Neck, Wareham, MA.
"SALTY II" 12' aluminun dinghy 9.9 Honda 4 stroke
http://www.rickcoraccio.com/boat/
RWS
Ultimate User

Post by RWS »

Moneywise.........

SERIOUSLY I wonder who the poster child on this Forum would be........

I'd be willing to bet nearly all of us have you beat !

Go out there and buy a new boat with the amenities yours has and see what the tote board says after you run the totals.

You should be happy with what you have.

I sincerely hope you can get her wet and enjoy her.

RWS
1983 10 Meter SOLD after 21 years of adventures
Yanmar diesels
Solid Glass Hull
Woodless Stringers
Full Hull Liner
Survived Andrew Cat 5,Eye of Charley Cat 4, & Irma Cat 2
Trojan International Website: http://trojanboat.com/

WEBSITE & SITELOCK TOTALLY SELF FUNDED
bigralph

Post by bigralph »

Thanks guys. I appreciate the pep talk. She is a damn sexy lady and I very much enjoy the udea of restoring her. The process just hasn't been as "romantic" as the ide. I originally planned to live on her and did for sux months. It seemed so awesome to have a minimalist life and be able just to untie and go at will. I think eventually I'll get her where I want. Just would really like to boat with her this summer.
bigralph

Post by bigralph »

Responding on phone. Sorry for typos.