1974 Trojan 32'

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

Jody

1974 Trojan 32'

Post by Jody »

i have just purchased a 1974 trojan 32' long. does any one know where i can get info on this boat such as wirring,plumbing, ect. it has been sitting since the late 90s and some stuff works and alot doesnt. i am looking to refurbish it this winter but dont know where to start. any info would be great. Thanks, Jody 850-207-9446 cell phone
Jody

Post by Jody »

also does anyone know where i can order replacement parts for this boat. windows,gaskets,ect. and how do i know which boat i have? i do know it is 32 foot long cause the paper work says it is. i am new to the boating world. any info would be great. Thanks, Jody Blankenship 850-207-9446 (cell phone)
willietrojan
Moderate User

Post by willietrojan »

Get me your FAX number or E-mail and I can send you copys from 1975 which should be the same.

Will.
Jody

Post by Jody »

sassy76@netscape.com, thank you, Jody
Jody

Post by Jody »

still needing help never received info from previous post, so anyone with the same info please call or e mail me Thanks, Jody Blankenship 850-207-9446
chucka
Sporadic User

Post by chucka »

Hi Jody,

What kind of condition is the boat in? And are you planning on a do it yourself project, a yard resoration or some combination of both? I've been working on a 1975 F-26 for going on 2 years, and its been a lot more effort and expense than I anticipated. I paid about $5K for the boat and have put in at least twice that amount of $$, plus countless hours of work. Here is a list of my projects to give you an idea of what your list might look like. Your list will of course depend on the particular issues with your boat, and how far you want to take it. I've pretty much concentrated on functional things, now I'm ready to start on more cosmetic stuff.

removed rotted cockpit deck and frames, rebuilt framing and replaced deck with mahogany planks over marine plywood. (added more & larger hatches for improved access below deck for engine maintenance)
rebuilt main cabin bulkhead below cockpit deck due to rot
Replaced water damaged cockpit liner (original was like formica on pressboard)
Installed new alternator & starter
Stripped and refinished teak cockpit trim & main cabin bulkhead.
Installed new aluminum fuel tank, fuel filler hose
Rebuilt fuel tank mounting bed.
added secondary fuse panel. Removed & replaced shoddy after market wiring installed by previous owners.
Removed original water tank to improve engine access
Installed new head, holding tank & all associated plumbing
Installed new 20 gal plastic water tank & replaced all hoses (relocated tank forward of original location under hanging locker) Included outlet for fresh water washdown.
Installed salt water washdown pump & outlet
Replaced 2 batteries (including new battery boxes)
New VHF radio
Replaced steering cable
Installed new bilge pump & float switch
Replaced engine cooling seacock & intake hoses
Reupholsterd captain and mate seats
Welded damaged swim platform mounting brackets. Stripped & refinished teak swim platform (new stainless mounting bolts).
Tightened up bimini cover frame & Fabric - replaced misc. hardware. Re-sticthed bad seams.
Replaced engine (from 1986) with factory remanufactured 318 & new velet drive transmission. (rebuilt distributor and carburetor from previous engine)
Replaced rusted engine mounts.
New engine temperature guage and oil pressure guage.
Upgraded rudder & extended keel by 6" to improve tracking stabilty
Stripped 30+ years of bottom paint to gel coat.
Replaced drive shaft
Reconditioned propeller
New depth sounder (with transom mounted transducer)
Replaced failed fresh water pressure pump.
Re-wired trim tabs
Upgraded transmission oil cooler

What I still have to go.....
The aluminum windsheild could use re-finishing.
The cabin floor has some sponginess and needs to be rebuilt in places.
Most of the interior teak is in good condition, but various hinges need replacing, the walls in the head need to be re-finished. They just have a coat of paint now.

Most of my work has been done seat of the pants. I use a multi-meter to chase down the wiring before pulling out old stuff. The plumbing and mechanical stuff you might just have to look at what you have and see how you can adapt available parts and materials to the job. One supplier that I've bought an awful lot of bronze & stainless hardware from is McMaster-Carr on the web. Also, I picked up a lot of used hardware from a local marine consignment shop for a fraction of what the new cost would have been.

Good Luck. Hopefully that gas prices will come back down to the point where I can afford to keep running it!
Chuck
formerly
Lots A Luck
Trojan F-26 Express
Narragansett Bay, RI