USGC Inspection POLL

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

How many of you do the annual CG / power squadron (or other ) Inspection ?

I try to do it every year
62%
Never
23%
Its a waste of time
8%
Maybe one day if I every get my boat ready to pass
8%

Total votes: 13

prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

USGC Inspection POLL

Post by prowlersfish »

How many of you do the annual CG / power squadron (or other ) Inspections ??
I have it done every year myself .
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
Commissionpoint
Active User

Re: USGC Inspection POLL

Post by Commissionpoint »

I get inspected by no less than two different agencies every year, and it seems now going forward there is going to be an additional winter "inspection" as well.

LGPC comes around at some point during the summer for a "courtesy" inspection, where if you pass you get a sticker so they know not to harrass you again that year. Basically that inspection boils down to compliance with local laws regarding overboard discharge and other issues related to just Lake George.

USCG Aux. will come and inspect you as well if you invite them to. That is more the traditional safety inspection that everyone is familiar with. If I see them and they are making the rounds I usually invite them aboard.

Now it also seems that in order to combat invasive species, I will have to get a hull "seal" every spring proving my boat was stored on land here and went nowhere else. All others trailering in from other bodies of water will have to get inspected and acid washed before launch going forward. Not a big deal for me because its automatic at where I do my storage, but I can see that being a bit of an hassle for others.

I have only been boarded by USGC once. About two hours after taking delivery from Nancy on Lake Champlain. The held me up for about a half hour looking for undocumented workers and marijuana in my bilges. They gave me a passed inspection "receipt" after the boarding. Thankfully they don't run full USCG units on my lake, just the Aux.
1978 F-32 "Eclipse"
Merc 305 SBC's
1.52:1 Borg Warners

1983 Correct Craft
Commander 351 Ford (PCM)
1:1 Borg Warner

There are 350 different varieties of shark, not counting loan or pool.
boatsnbars

Re: USGC Inspection POLL

Post by boatsnbars »

A member at my yacht club does inspections for the Power Squadron, so I have it done almost every year.
1988 Trojan F36, 2004 Palm Beach