Leaking Side Windows

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

The Dog House
Active User

Leaking Side Windows

Post by The Dog House »

It looks like the side windows on my F26 are leaking at the front part of the window. Does anyone have a diagram of how these are setup and/or suggestions on how to stop the leak? Thanks for any thoughts you might have.
1993 Sea Ray 200 Overnighter OB with 1993 Mercury 150 hp Outboard
1979 Starcraft 14' Rowboat with 2011 Mercury 9.9 hp Outboard
Former boat: 1971 Trojan F26
jon_e_quest
Sporadic User

Re: Leaking Side Windows

Post by jon_e_quest »

If water can't drain out fast enough it will fill up the track and spill over into the cabin. Your problem might be solved by simply blasting the track with water to clean it out. My F-26 side windows would leak, as well, when the tracks got dirty (moss, tree flotsam, etc).
Current Boats:
1972 35' Chris Craft Commander
1962 18' Chris Craft Cavalier

Former Trojans:
1972 F-36 Tri-Cabin
1976 F-26 Express HT
1978 F-25 Express HT
The Dog House
Active User

Post by The Dog House »

jon_e_quest wrote:If water can't drain out fast enough it will fill up the track and spill over into the cabin. Your problem might be solved by simply blasting the track with water to clean it out. My F-26 side windows would leak, as well, when the tracks got dirty (moss, tree flotsam, etc).
Thanks for the suggestion. My tracks do have some debris in them. I'll trying cleaning them out and see if it helps.
lawyerdave71
Moderate User

Post by lawyerdave71 »

jon_e_quest wrote:If water can't drain out fast enough it will fill up the track and spill over into the cabin. Your problem might be solved by simply blasting the track with water to clean it out. My F-26 side windows would leak, as well, when the tracks got dirty (moss, tree flotsam, etc).
+1 as to an F30

Are the tracks in good condition??
Captain Dave -

1978 F30 Flybridge Express
MattSC
Moderate User

Post by MattSC »

I had a leak on my port cabin side window towards the front. Mine was caused by a dried out caulk bead on the frame itself. I ended up re-bedding the frame and haven't had a leak since.
The Dog House
Active User

Post by The Dog House »

MattSC wrote:I had a leak on my port cabin side window towards the front. Mine was caused by a dried out caulk bead on the frame itself. I ended up re-bedding the frame and haven't had a leak since.
What was involved with re-bedding the frame? Was it simply removing the screws, pulling the frame out, scraping and sanding all of the old sealant, and then re-installing with new sealant? If cleaning the tracks out doesn't work, I might try re-bedding the side windows next Spring.
lawyerdave71
Moderate User

Post by lawyerdave71 »

What was involved with re-bedding the frame? Was it simply removing the screws, pulling the frame out, scraping and sanding all of the old sealant, and then re-installing with new sealant? If cleaning the tracks out doesn't work, I might try re-bedding the side windows next Spring.[/quote]

You got it! It aint an easy job. The frame was hard to get off. I took it off removed old tracks sealed old holes. Installed new tracks from Beacon which were metal not plastic. Painted frame. Changed screen, Put frame back on with butyl tape. Mold the butyl tape, etc. Did one side of the boat and came to the conclusion that the other side wasn't so bad and could wait!!!!!
Captain Dave -

1978 F30 Flybridge Express
The Dog House
Active User

Post by The Dog House »

I cleaned out my side window tracks yesterday. There was a lot of debris in them. Hopefully that will solve the problem. I'll check it after our next rainstorm and see.
rbcool
Active User

Post by rbcool »

I had the same problem with my Tri a couple yrs ago on all my windows. Discovered it was comig from the metal trim surrounding the outside of my windows. The old original caulk or plummbers putty they used was totally dried out. I simply applied a bead of white 5200 around the top 3 sides and haven't had a drop since. I wiped the mating surfaces with de-natured alcohol before doing it.
And of course.....keep the tracks clean!
RB 8)
When you can't make them see the light, make them feel the heat.
Ronald Reagan
1987 F36 Tri-Cabin
Twin 270 Crusaders
"Special K"
Upper Bay, Chesapeake Bay

http://www.photobucket.com/albums/ff424/rbcool/
dfg4240
Sporadic User

Post by dfg4240 »

Every time I read online here,I find more things to check-I love it.
thanks-I will check mine even though they are not leaking right now.
dfg4240