Trim Tab hydraulic leak

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

captainmaniac
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Trim Tab hydraulic leak

Post by captainmaniac »

Just finishing getting the boat ready for launch and reinstalled batteries and electronics today. Doing my normal electrical check-out, I went through all circuits and everything was fine. Then did my normal trim tab test. I hit the buttons to drop the tabs. It normally takes about 7 seconds from full up to full down, so when it hit 8 seconds I knew something was wrong... 8, 9, 10, then this disgusting 'sploosh' sound..... I knew right away that I was spewing hydraulic fluid somewhere.

SO, appears that on one cylinder the hose is leaking at the cylinder. I had that hose replaced about 10 years ago. I noticed there was no clamp on it - the hose is just pushed on to the barb on the cylinder and the hose collar pulled down. Is that the way it is supposed to be or should there be a clamp of some kind there as well? Searches on the web are inconclusive - InstaTrim talks about a hose barb design that seals tigter if the hose is pulled (but doesn't mention clamps), pictures of InstaTrim replacement parts available through a bunch of sites show hose and cylinder sets where there is an obvious clamp on the hose...

Anyone know the length of the barb that the cylinders from '79 had (so I can gauge how much attachment I actually have and I can just clamp it vs trying to pull the hose on more)? Debating trying to heat the hose to soften it, try to pull it down a bit more, and clamp it. Is it reasonable to do that, or just start over with fresh hose (since this is supposed to be the 'new' one)?

Anyone have an experience to share?
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Re: Trim Tab hydraulic leak

Post by prowlersfish »

I just look at 3 cylinders on my shelf (2 used 1 new) all 3 had a clamp on the hose . The barb looked to be 3/4" long . I have always used clamps on them myself
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
mikeandanne
Moderate User

Post by mikeandanne »

had the same issue last year ,mine had clamps on and still leaked--- old stuff though--- ended up changing everything from the pump to the rams over to Bennett ,no external lines now---- I have the pump and two rams in the garage ,you are quite welcome to them if you want to come and fetch them----- Mike
Big D
Ultimate User

Post by Big D »

The collars are available but you'd be hard pressed to get one on. Easy at the factory but not in the field. I confirmed with the OEM years ago that hose clamps are acceptable for this hydraulic system spec. The collar just looks prettier. You can use heat but be careful, using too much will distort the hose to a point where it will fail again in short order. Also be careful when inserting the hose, I've seen guys snap the nipples off which means a new cylinder. If the actuators were leaking at all, now would be the time to replace the seals. They are available from the OEM.
She was a 1969 36 ft wooden beauty with big blue 440s that we'll miss forever.
And thanks to the gang, 2012 Trojan Boater Of The Year
boatsnbars

Post by boatsnbars »

Same exact thing happened to me last year. I called InstaTrim and ordered new hose. It's sold by the foot. I used stainless hose clamps on the external fittings. I did a rough measurement then added a few feet. The part of the hose that is outside the boat takes the most abuse. I curled some up inside so if it happens again I can cut off some of the exposed part and replace it without buying a new hose.
1988 Trojan F36, 2004 Palm Beach
Bubbabuda
Sporadic User

Post by Bubbabuda »

Just bought 2 OEM replacement cylinders from Aftermarket Marine. I bought them without hoses for 44.95 each plus shipping. You can get them with hoses installed with their crimp clamps. Cheapest quality cylinders on the www.
captainmaniac
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by captainmaniac »

Thx all for the feedback. I will try heating the hose to soften it enough to slide a bit more home, then clamp it and see if I can put the tabs down without getting the 'sploosh'..... There is a hose collar on the hose, but sliding it home does no good so I take it the collar has gone bad or the hose has shrunk to the point that the collar doesn't really help.
Diverted Income
Moderate User

Post by Diverted Income »

Got to replace a hose moving the boat last year mid-trip.... Not fun. Wife and I team effort to replace it while in the water. Far from ideal situation. Her hand and arm could get between the swim platform and transom to push the hose on, me with a nut driver with wire wrapped around it and wrapped around my arm. Got it done though. Inspected the work when it was hauled last fall. It actually looked pretty good. Still moved the clamp though.
1982 Trojan F-32 w/Merc 230's
1975 Baja V-1800J w/ 502 Ford
http://missriverrat.com
https://www.facebook.com/UMRMriverrat
captainmaniac
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by captainmaniac »

Finally got to the boat today. I am very confused. Hairdryer for about 5 minutes to carefully, gradually warm the hose, a few twists back and forth as I was pushing it on to the barb, and managed to seat it fully. Added a SS clamp, and voila - no more sploosh when I put the tabs down! Why am I confused? I don't know the last time a repair of any kind only cost me $1.00 in parts and less than 10 minutes labour!

Thanks all for your input / info. I also noticed the hose collar on that hose and the one on the other tab are in opposite orientations, so one of them is/was definitely on upside down...
gardnersf
Moderate User

Post by gardnersf »

I had both cylinders pop the hoe off. The collars should definitely be replaces with clamps. I just replaced all my hose and put on stainless steel radiator style clamps on the hose. Hopefully it holds now.