engine raw water intake impellers?

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

dcal456

Post by dcal456 »

rjcress
You will find the raw water pump run by a fan belt, on the front of the engines, it's likely a Sherwood brand. It may still have a metal id tag on it also, or perhaps an id stamp. Here are a couple of sites that should be helpful also. The Sherwood factory site has complete info on how to rebuild your pump or install a new impeller like a pro, along with complete parts breakdowns, you will also find info on your onan genny at the Sherwood site, as it will have an impeller also if its water cooled. enjoy :) I might add be sure to look in the heat exchanger if your missing vanes off the impeller it's where they go when they fall off.
Beacon Marine likely sells new impeller kits also.

http://www.sherwoodpumpsdistribution.co ... /Chrysler/

http://www.depcopump.com/catalog108/123.pdf

Denny
F28 Grand Haven Lake Mich
riproaringca

Post by riproaringca »

I can tell you from experience that getting the impellers back into the water pump housing is a lot easier if you use a bit of lithium grease on them! I sprayed mine with the grease then carefully rotated them back in, making sure the small half-moon shaped key stayed in place. (Best to do this at a clean work bench/surface - not at the dock!)

Remember to prime the pump before starting 'er back up, too! Those neoprene vanes will burn out in no time.

I take mine out for the winter so that the vanes aren't laying in the same position all winter long without moving.

I was able to get impellers for my Sherwood pump at the local Boaters World store. About $74.00 CDN for two.

Hope this bit of advice helps! :)
1969 28' Trojan Sea Skiff Express
318 Chrysler 200HP
-----------------------
Chemong Lake, Trent-Severn Waterway
Ontario, Canada