Need help with 10 meter wiring harness

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

yorklyn
Active User

Need help with 10 meter wiring harness

Post by yorklyn »

I'm making new wiring harnesses for both of my engines and replacing all of the harness wire up to the main "panel" in the aft cabin. I plan on using terminal blocks in the engine room to make the the connection between the short engine harness and the other wires instead of the original 8 wire rectangular plugs.
The original plug has a 10ga red and 10 ga black wire that appear to simply stop at the plug and do not line up/ connect to any of the 6 wires that run to the terminal block in the aft cabin.
i cut the rubber plug apart and verified that there was no internal connections to other wires. I find it hard to believe that these two wires simply dead end at the plug??? Havent located a wiring diagram that specifically shows the breakdown of the actual plug. i have a diagram of the 6 wires that go to the inside panel. I know the the 10 ga red goes to the 50 amp breaker . the black attaches to the the engine as the ground.

Any ideas how i should wire those two wired to the new terminal block??
Thanks
Todd Pote
1987 10 Meter Mid Cabin
Double Pote-N_Sea
1992 Scout 15.5 Center Console
comodave
Moderate User

Re: Need help with 10 meter wiring harness

Post by comodave »

Where do they originate? Were you able to check the plug out with an ohm meter? I agree that it does not make much sense to have them end like that. I would trace them back and see where they originate and that may give you a clue as to what their purpose is.
Trojan has been sold
1987 President 41 DC 225 Lehmans
Au Gres, Michigan
yorklyn
Active User

Post by yorklyn »

The red comes off of one side of the engines 50 amp breaker that's located on the "solenoid bracket" that is attached to the rear of each engine and the other is grounded to the engine block. There are no other red or black wires after the plug and it appear they simply terminate at the plug connection?
Basically I would have six matching colored wires connected to both legs of the terminal block but the red and black word simply be attached by themselves and dead end by themselves? I know I'm missing something?
Todd Pote
1987 10 Meter Mid Cabin
Double Pote-N_Sea
Allen Sr
Active User

Post by Allen Sr »

I know it may be a P.I.T.A. but I would remove the rest of the tape/covering on the old harness just to make sure that there are no splices in it before you just eliminate those two wires.
Growing old is inevitable,but growing up is optional
1984 F36 w/350 Crusaders 'Reel Class'
2011 Trojan Rendevous
Solomons Get Together 2011
Ocean City 2012,2013,2015
mikeandanne
Moderate User

Post by mikeandanne »

just a guess here but based on our boat each engine probably had a dedicated battery feed and ground to each engines terminal block------find those on the terminal block and see where they are fed from----maybe they have been fed differently than factory which would have been thru the engine harness---Mike
BobCT
Active User

Post by BobCT »

Todd,

That might be a good question on the Crusader forum. I'm almost positive that harness is Crusader, not Trojan supplied. I think I have a hard copy of it on the boat and will take a look. I see what you're saying about the two wires though. I think the entire harness is still available too and not that expensive if you just wanted to replace the whole thing.

Bob
1988 10m mid cabin
Bimmerbill

Post by Bimmerbill »

OK, try this.

1984 Trojan 10 Meter International Express Cruiser
"The Help Desk"
Portsmouth NH/Kittery ME
larryeddington
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by larryeddington »

Plug looks exactly the same as the one's on my 318s Chryslers:

Trojan 318 Engine Wiring Harness Color Code
Colors are SAE and BIA Standard
Color Circuit

Purple Ignition
Light Blue Oil Pressure
White Starter
Grey Neg on Coil for Tach
Tan Water Temperature
Black Ground
Red Battery
Pink Aux fuel, buzzer etc
Larry Eddington
1984 F-36 Tri Cabin "The Phoenix II"
1978 F-28 "The Phoenix"
Fish Master 2350 Bay Boat
9.5' Dink
yorklyn
Active User

Post by yorklyn »

ok I believe I'm getting somewhere!
Todd Pote
1987 10 Meter Mid Cabin
Double Pote-N_Sea
yorklyn
Active User

Post by yorklyn »

OK I need some help! Found the correct harness diagram (with the coil resistor") and "the electric current flow". According to #4 on the current flow list, I should have a connection in the old terminal at the #8 spot and another red wire running to the 20 amp fuse in the instrument panel, which I do not have . I got excited when I remembered that the PO cut off the other engines plug and used crimp connectors, after hours of searching through my boat parts I found it! Of course im even more confused now. The red and black wire from that engine did have crimp connectors on them but unlike the other six wires that had a stub of the old wire sticking out from where I cut them when removing the engines, these two did not! in fact upon close examination they never had a wire crimped in the other end of the connector at all and were still un-crimped!

What to you guys think , try to find that 20amp fuse and run a red wire to it or just take the end coming off the 50 amp breaker in the engine bay and tape it up since everything im finding points to that scenero (except of course the engine manual)???????

Todd Pote
1987 10 Meter Mid Cabin
Double Pote-N_Sea
mikeandanne
Moderate User

Post by mikeandanne »

Maybe those connectors are the type that is the female that you have in the pic and a male goes in there to create a quick disconnect-----
yorklyn
Active User

Post by yorklyn »

I thought the same thing for a moment but since their butt connectors i doubt they would have stayed in.
Todd Pote
1987 10 Meter Mid Cabin
Double Pote-N_Sea