1986 Trojan 11M Interior Update

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

adrewoh

Re: 1986 Trojan 11M Interior Update

Post by adrewoh »

G R E A T job!! Whatever it took, it was worth it! I don't have to tell you to enjoy! What will you do next winter??
P-Dogg
Active User
Location: Near Baltimorgue, Murderland, where they prove every day that gun control doesn't work.

Post by P-Dogg »

Holy cow nothing. Holy ship! Excellent work.
I needed a less expensive hobby, so I bought a boat!
BlueBelle

Post by BlueBelle »

Carioca -
My reflections are many. First, lighting upgrades were numerous, with high-end fixtures (Imtra LEDs), and it was well worth the effort and cost. You've got to plan lighting well before you install headliner, so you can run wiring and fixture boxes, if necessary.

Also, even if you make new doors, use the existing hardware. New stainless hinges add up fast.

Another important tip...although my wall coverings look like fabric, they aren't. The wall coverings are 100% vinyl. Easy to clean and mold resistant. Also use vinyl-over-vinyl wall paste...it is best-suited for a humid saltwater environment.

If you are planning to apply teak veneer, remove any doors and panels that you plan to recover and do the work on a workbench. It is much easier to apply the veneer and varnish in a basement or garage. The galley cabinet frames are the only teak areas that I veneered and varnished in-place. Also, if you are installing new countertops, you will find it much easier to refinish the cabinet frames once the existing countertops have been removed and prior to installation of new tops.

Perhaps my most important reflection is to make sure every leaking area is corrected before you apply new finishes. I reset the bow rail, port/starboard lights and installed new port lights before I installed wall finishes and headliners.

Let me know if I can help you with anything. Good luck.
Howard
1986 Trojan 11M w/ twin JT671TI
guntruck

Post by guntruck »

The boat is beautiful and Kudos to you on all the hard work, its certainly paid off! Im looking to do the same, where did you buy most of your vinyl and veneers?
BlueBelle

Post by BlueBelle »

I purchased vinyls from a specialty wall covering store in Orlando. I highly suggest you only consider solid vinyl.

I hand selected teak veneers from Seafarer Marine in Ft. Lauderdale.
1986 Trojan 11M w/ twin JT671TI