Replace Carpet / Refresh Woodwork

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

bjanakos
Moderate User

Replace Carpet / Refresh Woodwork

Post by bjanakos »

New owner of a '78 F32 Hardtop.

It appears to be a real solid ride, but it could use a little sprucing up. I really think just a refresh of the carpet, especially in the salon area, and the refreshing the teak will do her wonders.

I am curious if it is possible to remove the carpet from the panels, or if it is less of a bother to just fabricate new floor panels and glue down fresh carpet.

The teak work is in good condition, but just sun faded especially in the salon and galley. Is it recommended to brush on fresh oil? Or sand and varnish?

Thanks in advance.
Away On Busine$$
Moderate User

Re: Replace Carpet / Refresh Woodwork

Post by Away On Busine$$ »

Re-Did all if mine. Sanded through 150 Grit ie 80, 120 and 150. Did it this way with lite coverage of each to minimize swirl marks, then refinished with CETOL natural.
Season is short, we make the best of it.
Cmount
Sporadic User

Post by Cmount »

On the teak, I redid all of mine...used Goop hand cleaner with bronze wool, fine and then three coats of oil...looks new

On the carpet, I put new carpet in but did not glue it as I pull it up every winter so I can work on the boat without messing it all up. Comes out, I clean it, put it away until the spring. I also painted all the floors so they are sealed.
1987 Jersey Dawn
"The Other Woman II"
bjanakos
Moderate User

Post by bjanakos »

Good tips in the teak. Thanks.

Regarding the carpet. Do you just roll out 1 large piece? I imagine that you would need frequent access to the engine compartment. I took a closer look at mine today and it looks like it is stapled down and the boards seem to be painted with a grey primer. So it may be pretty easy to bring up. I'm going to bring home a small board on my next visit and examine it closer.

I seem to have a soft board or two in front of the dinette, and the carpet seems to have a slight stain.... I hope I don't have a cabin leak...

Any recommendations on Carpet? I've been looking at marine and indoor/outdoor carpet. My primary use will be fishing, so I need something durable.

I have been considering laminate flooring, but I am afraid that it might be slippery.
Cmount
Sporadic User

Post by Cmount »

Yes, I actually use her for pleasure, so I bought a remnant and cut and placed it in. I built the hatch top out of wood flooring, and then cut the carpet so I could open the hatches if needed. That was in the salon. In the lower area of the cabin, that is a solid piece. Let me send a picture.
1987 Jersey Dawn
"The Other Woman II"
Cmount
Sporadic User

Post by Cmount »

pic
Attachments
floor.jpeg
floor.jpeg (92.54 KiB) Viewed 7253 times
1987 Jersey Dawn
"The Other Woman II"
bjanakos
Moderate User

Post by bjanakos »

Thats very nice. I like it.

What do you do if you need to access to the entire engine? Does your whole carpet lift up? Or is your carpet cut around the large panels?

I am thinking of of cutting the carpet and tacking it down to the large panel doors so I can lift everything out and pop it back in.
Cmount
Sporadic User

Post by Cmount »

I cut the large hatches in as well and used snaps to hold the carpet in place. I also put hinges on the hatches so I can just tip them up.
1987 Jersey Dawn
"The Other Woman II"
bjanakos
Moderate User

Post by bjanakos »

Very nice. Any issue with the carpet fraying where you made the cuts?
Cmount
Sporadic User

Post by Cmount »

A little...but not worth the worry, much better to have the cuts than remeoving the carpet when you need to get in there. I trim the fray when it gets bad, but after a month or so its pretty much stops.
1987 Jersey Dawn
"The Other Woman II"
comodave
Moderate User

Post by comodave »

I cut the carpet to fit around the hatches in the deck. I bound the edges of the carpet with sunbrella binding so it does not fray.
Trojan has been sold
1987 President 41 DC 225 Lehmans
Au Gres, Michigan
bjanakos
Moderate User

Post by bjanakos »

Away On Busine$$ wrote:Re-Did all if mine. Sanded through 150 Grit ie 80, 120 and 150. Did it this way with lite coverage of each to minimize swirl marks, then refinished with CETOL natural.

How much CETOL did you go through? Did you just do one coat? I was thinking about buying a gallon as it is about the same price as 3 quarts. I will probably end up hitting ALL of the teak. The salon and galley need it the most, but I may as well drop a coat on the head, dinette and berth areas.
adrewoh

Post by adrewoh »

I did chilewich on mine, cut along all the hatches for easy access. It's vinyl with rubber backing...has a little texture so not slippery, doesn't fray. Screwed it down with grommets, could do snaps too. Here's a pic in dropbox...I love it
https://www.dropbox.com/s/gpx3awtfgmgma ... 5.jpg?dl=0
Away On Busine$$
Moderate User

Post by Away On Busine$$ »

I have redone my swim platform, railings, bow pulpit with 5 coats and all internal teak with a minimum of 3 coats and I re-coat external teak with one coat each year So far 3 quarts
Season is short, we make the best of it.
bjanakos
Moderate User

Post by bjanakos »

Away On Busine$$ wrote:I have redone my swim platform, railings, bow pulpit with 5 coats and all internal teak with a minimum of 3 coats and I re-coat external teak with one coat each year So far 3 quarts
Thanks! Looks like I can start with a qt.

How did you clean up your brushes? Just standard paint thinner?