Cabin Water Leak

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

bjanakos
Moderate User

Cabin Water Leak

Post by bjanakos »

We had about an inch of snow and then a thaw recently before I was able to get the covers on my F-32 hard top.

I noticed that there was some water leaking inside the dinette area, right about in the middle. Water was built up and looked like condensation right on the upper teak panel. I also noticed some slight discoloration the head liner running port/starboard from that point. My best guess is that is is getting through the windshield some how. I am curious to know if this is a common issue.

The boat is covered now, so this can't be addressed from the outside until the spring. I'm going to dig into it a little from the inside and investigate some more.

I am planning on having a fabric window wrap made in the spring and I will have them add a couple of inches at the bottom to cover the seam, but I will need to seal this up. I hope a permanent fix dosn't involve lifting the windows and re-bedding.... Maybe some black silicone will get the job done in the interim.
lure washer

Re: Cabin Water Leak

Post by lure washer »

I had a small leak port side, silicone around window frame fixed it.
ready123
Ultimate User

Post by ready123 »

bjanakos wrote:We had about an inch of snow and then a thaw recently before I was able to get the covers on my F-32 hard top.
I noticed that there was some water leaking inside the dinette area, right about in the middle. Water was built up and looked like condensation right on the upper teak panel. I also noticed some slight discoloration the head liner running port/starboard from that point. My best guess is that is is getting through the windshield some how. I am curious to know if this is a common issue.
The boat is covered now, so this can't be addressed from the outside until the spring. I'm going to dig into it a little from the inside and investigate some more.
I am planning on having a fabric window wrap made in the spring and I will have them add a couple of inches at the bottom to cover the seam, but I will need to seal this up. I hope a permanent fix dosn't involve lifting the windows and re-bedding.... Maybe some black silicone will get the job done in the interim.
Know it well...
Two possible sources:
Leaking seal between Ally window frame and fibreglass, hard to seal permanently without loosening the holdown bolts which are behind dinette head liner. To seal without that work try some Capt Tolleys creeping crack from westmarine et al.

Leaking around glass pane.... remove glass and rebed with Butyl tape for permanent fix. Captain Tolley may work here also....
Michael
Rum is the reason Pirate's have never ruled the world
Done Dreamin'
1987 President 43' Twin Lehman 225SP Turbo
Highfield 310 Ally 15 HP Yamaha 2cycle
1978 F32 Sedan twin 318 Chry SOLD
Safe Cove Marina, Port Charlotte, FL
bjanakos
Moderate User

Post by bjanakos »

ready123 wrote:Know it well...

Two possible sources:
Leaking seal between Ally window frame and fibreglass, hard to seal permanently without loosening the holdown bolts which are behind dinette head liner.

I was afraid of this.... it looks like the PO has some silicone around the top of the frame. Hard to believe much water gets up there since the hard top has a 12" over hang. I am wondering what it would take to lift the top and the entire window frame and re-bed. The good news is that there does not seem to be any leaks at the sides or rear.

Thanks for the tip on this product, I'll give it a try this season and see how it goes.
Reel Easy
Sporadic User

Post by Reel Easy »

What ended up fixing this? I may have the same problem
Dustin
78 F-32 Express Hard top twin 360s Abyss
1999 360 Express twin 7.4
Catawba Island, Ohio
bjanakos
Moderate User

Post by bjanakos »

I have not had the issue since it has been in the water. When it sits on the cradle, it tilts toward the aft. I think it was because of the way it was sitting.
ready123
Ultimate User

Post by ready123 »

Reel Easy wrote:What ended up fixing this? I may have the same problem
I believe it is the seal under the window frame.... it will then drip down the hold down bolts for the window and then drop on the inside of the headliner, then centre of galley table. I had this and saw that while my headliner was removed for replacement. It can be difficult to seal without loosening the hold down bolts and raising window frame to get new sealant in...... Tolly's creeping crack has helped but one needs to lift bow to make it flow aft into the window seal... not an in water attitude for the boat. :(
Michael
Rum is the reason Pirate's have never ruled the world
Done Dreamin'
1987 President 43' Twin Lehman 225SP Turbo
Highfield 310 Ally 15 HP Yamaha 2cycle
1978 F32 Sedan twin 318 Chry SOLD
Safe Cove Marina, Port Charlotte, FL
Reel Easy
Sporadic User

Post by Reel Easy »

Thanks guys. That's what I found too. I cut the headliner and loosened the nuts and lifted the windshield frame a little. Cleaned out old dry butyl and rebeded. Then Reseal ed windshield with new butyl. Problem solved. Thanks again.
Dustin
78 F-32 Express Hard top twin 360s Abyss
1999 360 Express twin 7.4
Catawba Island, Ohio