Up Grades

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

Are you doing upgrades this year ? pick up to 4

Doing a repower
7%
Upgrade electronics
34%
Canvas
30%
Paint ( change - upgrade )
13%
no I am broke
7%
No my boats perfect
3%
If I ever get this #%%#$%% boat running that will be a upgrade .
3%
Does a for sale sigh count ?
3%

Total votes: 61

yorklyn
Active User

Re: Up Grades

Post by yorklyn »

my problem is that all of my "new" equipment is now 7 yrs old . I had just installed the furuno radar and only used it one season . I plan on adding a second vhf . I was planning on setting up a 12 inch display , replacing my radar and integrating everything. with the speed that current technology becomes obsolete and the rapid pace that "the newest and best" chartplotter/radar/sounder etc becomes a "no longer supported" item on companies websites, i am reluctant to spend 3x for a 12 inch screen when the seven inch version has the same capabilities. if I am going to be forced to upgrade every few years because they are no longer offering chart updates for my unit then im going to be a very cautious shopper.
I'm leaning towards units that have bluetooth capability and like the idea of being able to stream a sonar picture from a 7 inch display to a large samsung tablet in a waterproof case. The only thing I have to purchase before my boat goes in the water is the correct thru hull transducer so I can have it installed. I have no problem navigating with current paper charts for the short term.
I also believe in redundant systems but my limited space makes it frustrating. I think Im going to install the wiring harness for a back up chartplotter and have it safely stowed below. if i ever needed it all i would have to do is pull it out and plug it in.
Todd Pote
1987 10 Meter Mid Cabin
Double Pote-N_Sea
1992 Scout 15.5 Center Console
yorklyn
Active User

Post by yorklyn »

I would love to do that but wasnt sure who made it? ive seen plenty for current engines but not for old, non electronic ones? I do know that if I go with garmin i want their fuel monitoring ad on, (floscan). heard great things about it. I did not replace my gauges during my repower since they all worked but also because I was hoping to somehow integrate them with my new electronics.
any suggestions?
Todd Pote
1987 10 Meter Mid Cabin
Double Pote-N_Sea
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

yorklyn wrote:my problem is that all of my "new" equipment is now 7 yrs old . I had just installed the furuno radar and only used it one season . I plan on adding a second vhf . I was planning on setting up a 12 inch display , replacing my radar and integrating everything. with the speed that current technology becomes obsolete and the rapid pace that "the newest and best" chartplotter/radar/sounder etc becomes a "no longer supported" item on companies websites, i am reluctant to spend 3x for a 12 inch screen when the seven inch version has the same capabilities. if I am going to be forced to upgrade every few years because they are no longer offering chart updates for my unit then im going to be a very cautious shopper.
I'm leaning towards units that have bluetooth capability and like the idea of being able to stream a sonar picture from a 7 inch display to a large samsung tablet in a waterproof case. The only thing I have to purchase before my boat goes in the water is the correct thru hull transducer so I can have it installed. I have no problem navigating with current paper charts for the short term.
I also believe in redundant systems but my limited space makes it frustrating. I think Im going to install the wiring harness for a back up chartplotter and have it safely stowed below. if i ever needed it all i would have to do is pull it out and plug it in.
The latest and greatest is not always the best . Radar for example, a older Furuno radar will work as well as any of the new ones . I liked my old 1712 as a radar it work as well or better then any I have used and I have used a lot . I like my Koden but I had to up grade to a open array to be real happy with it , the garmin was great with just a 2.2kw dome . When this fails I would back to a basic furuno with out reservation , Garmin , raymarine lorance etc are ok but not a furuno IMO I only up graded the GPS because my eyes are slowly down grading :cry: and I bet I will never use the blue tooth on the 741 .

One thing I would use is the fuel monitoring If it would work on diesels , it wont :(
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
44Ydnar88

Post by 44Ydnar88 »

New 1409, The carter 6212 went through its last rebuild. Install pretty straight forward, after a few adj, idles perfect, responds great, very excited to see how it runs in the water. About 3 more weeks!
Attachments
IMG_20150317_174928_085_zpsjzgr4h5j.jpg
IMG_20150317_174928_085_zpsjzgr4h5j.jpg (82.34 KiB) Viewed 5440 times
IMG_20150317_202536_534_zpspkrm1t0w.jpg
IMG_20150317_202536_534_zpspkrm1t0w.jpg (76.77 KiB) Viewed 5440 times
76 F25 H/T Express
96 Baja 208 Islander
87 Baja 180 islander
Paul
Active User

Post by Paul »

Looking good. Won't be long now.
Paul
"Cruise Control" 1978 F-26HT
"No Control" 2012 9' Grand RIB
EM63
Moderate User

Post by EM63 »

Will repaint the stern and install new letters in stainless steel.
Have to close all holes with mahogani plugs - first try where to install.
--
Greetings - Heiner
Attachments
Evita_Lettering.jpg
Evita_Lettering.jpg (56.01 KiB) Viewed 5423 times
Evita_Lettering_2.jpg
Evita_Lettering_2.jpg (45.05 KiB) Viewed 5423 times
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Out with old in with new .Replaced the windlass to day with one that can use rode and chain
Attachments
Old good windlass
Old good windlass
old winlass.jpg (54.94 KiB) Viewed 5398 times
new
new
new windlass.jpg 1.jpg (106.89 KiB) Viewed 5398 times
New
New
new windlass.jpg (106.06 KiB) Viewed 5398 times
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Big D
Ultimate User

Post by Big D »

That's sweet Paul. I like those units. Do yourself a favour, if you weren't getting much water in your bilge before, make a cover for the unit so you don't get rain water going into the chain port. Also helps when under way in poor conditions with water breaking over the bow. Seems to be the number one complaint so I warn people now before they go with a deck mounted unit. Of course if the chain locker is isolated from the bilge and drains overboard then no worries.
She was a 1969 36 ft wooden beauty with big blue 440s that we'll miss forever.
And thanks to the gang, 2012 Trojan Boater Of The Year
P-Dogg
Active User
Location: Near Baltimorgue, Murderland, where they prove every day that gun control doesn't work.

Post by P-Dogg »

Too bad about the "Good" windlass. I would have bought one of those when I was shopping because I really really really liked the integrated mooring bit. However, those are rope only, and I consider at least a boat-length of chain mandatory on any rode.

Attn: Good customer service -- do you read boating forums???? Would it have killed you to make a rope-chain windlass with an integrated mooring bit? Vetus got a couple of hundred of my dollars that you could have had....
I needed a less expensive hobby, so I bought a boat!
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Big D wrote:That's sweet Paul. I like those units. Do yourself a favour, if you weren't getting much water in your bilge before, make a cover for the unit so you don't get rain water going into the chain port. Also helps when under way in poor conditions with water breaking over the bow. Seems to be the number one complaint so I warn people now before they go with a deck mounted unit. Of course if the chain locker is isolated from the bilge and drains overboard then no worries.
Not worried about a little water in the bilge . The anchor locker drains there but so do the hatch drains on the rear deck , water is the norm . But I do plan on making a cover for it as it is good size hole for the chain and rode .

I may add The windlass is about 1" above deck level , the should help some with water intrusion .
Last edited by prowlersfish on Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
yorklyn
Active User

Post by yorklyn »

Nice!!!
Todd Pote
1987 10 Meter Mid Cabin
Double Pote-N_Sea
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

P-Dogg wrote:Too bad about the "Good" windlass. I would have bought one of those when I was shopping because I really really really liked the integrated mooring bit. However, those are rope only, and I consider at least a boat-length of chain mandatory on any rode.

Attn: Good customer service -- do you read boating forums???? Would it have killed you to make a rope-chain windlass with an integrated mooring bit? Vetus got a couple of hundred of my dollars that you could have had....
That 38 Y/O Windlass Still worked great and honestly I Never had a issue of not holding with out chain even with 2 other boats tied to me . I would sometimes add some chain If I felt the need . I decided it would be nice to have a windless that handled boat rode and chain . Good was my first choice as I believe they make a great windlass and make it right here in the USA . But are costly .
I went with the Lewmar as it will do the job the price was right and it looks great . The mooring bit is nice but no big deal as I have 4 cleats near the windlass ( 2 in front of the windlass) .
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels