F-32 Stereo / Speaker ideas...

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

bjanakos
Moderate User

F-32 Stereo / Speaker ideas...

Post by bjanakos »

One of my projects will be to get some tunes installed....

I am embarrassed to post what the PO did...

I am looking for ideas for mounting a head unit and speakers in the Salon (hard-top, no fly bridge). The head unit is not that big a deal and I was thinking of mounting it in the panel thats over head the helm station. I'd just hate to cut a DIN sized hole in the fiberglass, but at least the DIN format is rather universal. Future upgrades would be simple. Another option is sonic hub, but for some reason, I would just rather keep the tunes separated from the nav gear.

The speakers present a larger challenge. My goal is to have a pair in the salon and a pair in the aft deck. There are not a lot of mounting possibilities except for cutting a 5" hole into the teak work. Not that it's difficult; but it's not reversible. I've been looking for "External" enclosure-mounted speakers and I am either finding the 8 ohm outdoor patio type, or the rather obnoxious looking wake-board type.
g36
Moderate User

Re: F-32 Stereo / Speaker ideas...

Post by g36 »

i have the lowrance sonic hub and other lowrance hds stuff, the sonic hub is a good unit. i dont like drilling into things either and if you use it you could always use the fusion wired remotes (link below) instead of having to turn on the nav gear or use thehds unit when its turned on to control your music i've put all my music on thumb drive and it stays in the docking port all the time i have the i dock hidden so its not even seen . fusion makes good equipment and i dont think you would be disappointed with the sonic hub. if your going all out then use the low level outputs and add other amps if thats whats needed but thats up to you of course.
remote is wr6600
http://www.amazon.com/Fusion-MS-WR600-M ... s=ms-wr600
1997 CARVER 405
"the BLACK PEARL"

past fleet
1978 F32 SEDAN CHRYSLER 318's

current fleet
1997 seadoo gts
1997 yamaha wave venture
1985 sunbird 18 ft runabout
1968 coronado sailboat 25 ft
sunfish
14' hobie cat
canoe
8ft portabote
Lou

Post by Lou »

There is a way to use 8ohm speakers to be 4ohm. If you are going to use multiple speakers (qty 4) it would be feasible. Hope this helps. - Lou

Installed link below.

http://www.the12volt.com/12voltimages/2 ... c_4ohm.gif
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (28.04 KiB) Viewed 8688 times
1972 - Trojan F31
1981 - Grady White Sailfish 25
1988 - Wellcraft 2800 Express
1966 - Chris Craft 36'
bjanakos
Moderate User

Post by bjanakos »

Lou wrote:There is a way to use 8ohm speakers to be 4ohm. If you are going to use multiple speakers (qty 4) it would be feasible. Hope this helps. - Lou

Installed link below.

http://www.the12volt.com/12voltimages/2 ... c_4ohm.gif
I had considered this... Have a pair in the Salon, and then a pair down in the berth, but then I got to thinking about balancing and zone control. I think I determined that if I were in the berth for any reason it would be to sleep... And I wouldn't want to listen to radio anyway.
captainmaniac
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by captainmaniac »

For 'invisible' speakers, how about something like this. They have a version for mounting to wood, so you could fasten them out of sight, on the inside of the salon cabinets (just gotta be able to get to it with a screw driver...).

http://www.soliddrive.com/index.php/pro ... liddrives/
g36
Moderate User

Post by g36 »

bjanakos i know you didnt say anything more about the sonic hub in your last post however i did notice you mentioned zone volume. the wired fusion remote i mentioned can control up to 3 zone volumes so it still might be a good thing to look at unless you have decided its not what you want to go .since you made no comment on my post i dont know if you have moved on with something else.
1997 CARVER 405
"the BLACK PEARL"

past fleet

current fleet
1997 seadoo gts
1997 yamaha wave venture
sunfish
14' hobie cat
canoe
8ft portabote
bjanakos
Moderate User

Post by bjanakos »

g36 wrote:bjanakos i know you didnt say anything more about the sonic hub in your last post however i did notice you mentioned zone volume. the wired fusion remote i mentioned can control up to 3 zone volumes so it still might be a good thing to look at unless you have decided its not what you want to go .since you made no comment on my post i dont know if you have moved on with something else.
I think it's more of a cost differential at the moment... The sonic hub + remote + Ipod + Bluetooth starts adding up the $$$'s. A typical head unit with all of these features can be had for less than $200.

I am considering this head unit mostly because of the shape... I will be deleting the existing auto pilot and there is already a 3" hole drilled for it. Win / win:
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_070MGH30BT ... l?tp=61742

I think I am settling on one of these for the salon speakers.
http://www.polyplanar.com/catalog/marin ... x-speakers

Probably traditional marine speakers for the deck. I dont mind cutting holes in fiberglass as much as wood for some reason.... :mrgreen:
g36
Moderate User

Post by g36 »

when i bought my sonic hub it came with the speakers and uni dock for $269 no bluetooth but thats just $35 to add on, however looking now it seems to come with bluetooth and the uni dock is a add on. dont know if you will stream music or what so it sure may make a difference which to buy. i did google the one you listed thought its pretty neat also just didnt seem very powerful but not everyone needs that. i didnt find alot on it but this came up
http://www.motorboatyourself.com/forum/ ... pic=2178.0
just thought it was interesting so i wanted to make sure you read it. i always seem to spend too much time researching before i spend money, good luck on what ever you buy
1997 CARVER 405
"the BLACK PEARL"

past fleet

current fleet
1997 seadoo gts
1997 yamaha wave venture
sunfish
14' hobie cat
canoe
8ft portabote
Lou

Post by Lou »

I found these as I was searching for speaker replacements on my boat. These are 4 ohm. Priced reasonably low.

I myself will be using an 8ohm setup for the saloon and 5 1/4" 4 ohm up on the bridge. I cannot find a need/reason for two stereos onboard. My head unit is the Dual MGH20. I'm regretting that I didnt go with the MGH30BT that way I could control volume from the bridge when linked to Bluetooth. But I shall live.

Head unit - http://www.dualav.com/marineaudio/mgh20.php

PYLE PLMR24 3.5-Inch 200 Watt 3-Way Weather Proof Mini Box Speaker System (White) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001CXXDBM/re ... Qub0T4JEJQ
1972 - Trojan F31
1981 - Grady White Sailfish 25
1988 - Wellcraft 2800 Express
1966 - Chris Craft 36'
bjanakos
Moderate User

Post by bjanakos »

Lou wrote:My head unit is the Dual MGH20. I'm regretting that I didnt go with the MGH30BT that way I could control volume from the bridge when linked to Bluetooth. But I shall live.

PYLE PLMR24 3.5-Inch 200 Watt 3-Way Weather Proof Mini Box Speaker System (White) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001CXXDBM/re ... Qub0T4JEJQ

Yep, I'm most likely going with the MGH30BT. I looked into those PYLE speakers and they are total junk. They advertise them as a 3-way, but it's really just 1 3" paper cone speaker. The tweeter dome that you see in the picture is fake... Although they call it a "passive speaker."
jhalb
Moderate User

Post by jhalb »

I have used the older style Bose 151 out door speakers. They last for ever and have a great sound. You can find on eBay in black or white. I have used with my Sony marine unit for the last 6 years.
John
"PELICAN"
1983 10 Meter Express
bjanakos
Moderate User

Post by bjanakos »

I think I have the interior speakers figured out, I am going with some bracket mounted Poly Planar speakers. Still looking for ideas in the rear deck. I don't mind cutting a hole back there and I would prefer a surface mount. The problem is that I need about 3" of depth and I dont think there is that much soace between the inner and outer hull.

There is that space up near the sliding door that looks like empty space, but this is where my customers would sit and the speakers would be right in their ears.
TC
Sporadic User

Post by TC »

What I did for rear cockpit speakers was removed those two triangular pieces in the side walls where the walls meet the big glass cabin wall. I then built two triangular boxes about 4 inches deep. Their front faces are 5/16" teak covered ply. The ply is secured to the upper section of the box and hold the speaker. The lower 2/3's has a door hiding two shelves. They were then installed back into the side walls. The stereo is mounted on the wall at the galley table. The front channel runs the inside (salon) speakers and the rear channel runs the rear cockpit speakers. The remote works through the glass doors to adjust volume. Love it.
1989 F-32
Penetang,
Georgian Bay
bjanakos
Moderate User

Post by bjanakos »

Wow, that sounds pretty clever. Making a speaker box out of that space. I was hoping to avoid that area however, but if there are no other options, I may not have a choice.
Gcadd121

Post by Gcadd121 »

If you have not cut holes by now may want to look at motorcycle speakers. I have small 3" speakers hidden up in my fly bridge with a 1000 watt amp hooked up to an on off switch. Its the same setup I have on my Harley. I can hear my music going 75 on the express way with ear plugs in. And my bike has no baffles to speak of, so use of them on the fly bridge I still get clear full sound. But the speakers are weather proof small and have good sound. The kit I got was 50 bucks two speakers and amp. Now the amp has a built in radio usb sd card and RCA jacks for input and only left and right wires for out and two key ring remotes and an ungodly loud alarm. I bought mine for the bike 4 years ago for the bike and never had the thumb drive rattle loose. Then about two weeks ago I went a picked up one for the fly bridge. Used the RCA jacks out to the RCA in on the amp. Now my head unit is loaded blue tooth usb sd dvd with 7" screen the P.O. installed it, in the dumbest place he could right at the end cabinet at the steps going down. Now I know a boat is a boat and not a house motorcycle car but the speakers alone are small work well for good sound come in chrome or black and can mount anyway you want. Toss the amp on a for sale sight or page if you don't need it and make some money back. If interested let me know I can get you the info of who I got mine off of.